Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Default another au 1 to 2/3 cluster thread

Gday all

Ive given the search function a good workout but I just cant seem to find what I'm looking for, everyone seems to be swapping either base to xr or low to high series....

My question:

Would an au2 fairmont cluster be easy enough to make work in an au1 fairmont? Likewise for a series 2 climate control unit (which I am led to believe is a straight swap?). I just wanna lose the red leds mainly, the cc unit is close to cactus (standard) and the cluster display, even though working good, is still a PITA to read. Im thinking it would be an easy enough swap due to lack of dte on the cluster and 1/2 fairmonts sharing similar parts?

Any thoughts on the subject before I start blowing cash at the wreckers? :P

Cheers in advance

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: another au 1 to 2/3 cluster thread

cluster is a no go been there done that. the steering wheel stereo controls are linked to the cluster ( something to do with the speed alert in the S1) it will cause you all sorts of dramas. not sure with the climate control. only possibility is if the cluster LCD displays are compatible you might be able to just swap the displays ( never looked into that)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I knew some ford engineers were a bit backwards (inlet manifold vs dizzy cap on early e series) but to loop speed alert from the cluster through the steering wheel to the seperate trip comp? Jeezus Johnny

AU1 red leds not looking so bad anymore....

RE: climate control/trip comp thingy......any tried a s2 one in a s1? Thats my main bugbear, hate punching buttons wildly trying to get the ac on cos I cant see what im doing lol

Last edited by K_Man; 02-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
K_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once tried a S1 cluster in a S2 ( long story why) and soon as I turned the ignition the stereo shot up to full volume just about blew my ears off

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I can relate, fairmont xr dash in place of a digital one in an nc ghia....thought I could play woth the wires a bit and get it to work (was in an experimental mood), fired her up to a plethora of warning lights, trip comp beeping off its nut and a really rough idle....it was then that I realised backyard electronics are not my thing.