Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: What badge should I put on the back of my highly modified Focus?
Zetec (Current) 1 3.70%
2.0 (Stock) 1 3.70%
Nothing 12 44.44%
Ford Racing 3 11.11%
Ford Motorsport 0 0%
Herrod Motorsport 3 11.11%
Ford Cobra 1 3.70%
SVT 1 3.70%
Powered by Ford 5 18.52%
Other? 1 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Help me with a badge for the back of the Focus

Now that I've done so many mods to the car, it is now a long, long way removed from a standard Zetec model.

I currently have a 'Zetec' badge on the back (Stock configuration is '2.0')

Here's how it looks now

I have a number of thoughts and am looking for your opinion. (Imagine all of these logos as a black type on a silver/chrome badge...a proper rear badge)

1. Zetec badge (as is)

2. 2.0 (Stock)

3. Nothing

4. Ford Racing. Most of my go fast parts are Ford Racing

5. Old school Ford Motorsport badge

6.Herrod Motorsport. Herrods have done most of the mods

7. Cobra badge .My current favourite. But not too large

8. SVT (US) Special Vehicle Team

9. Old School "Powered by Ford" badge

Opinions Welcome!

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

Last edited by melbzetec; 10-10-2009 at 06:45 PM.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
819_FLY

I'd prob go the last one as my personal preference. If it isn't too large I would put a "Powered by Ford" badge on my own Focus.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I voted Cobra, looks tough but you gotta have the power to live up to it otherwise it would look try hard.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
melbzetec

It's probably the most powerful naturally aspirated Focus in Australia.

But the LAST thing I want to do is look try hard....
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Herrod's have done most of the work? Then the Herrod badge/sticker.

Its not a Cobra.

Nothing, or Ford Motorsport.

Actually, I voted Herrod, but I've always gone debadged. Keep 'em guessing!!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Personally I'd be recommending that you just debadge it and not worry about such a decision. It will also make it soo much easier to clean for next years SFS.

Certainlly I like to let people know what kind of car I drive, the problem is that your car doesn't suit one option over the other. If you leave the Focus badge then you have to balance it with a badge on the other side. If however you choose to remove the badge but still want to let people know it is a focus then my idea whould be to engrave it into the bumper. (kind of like the latest mustangs and corvettes).

Just my 2c worth
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I'm of the same opinion of Leakey with regard to leaving it De-Badged. There'd always be that element of surprise with someone who'se behind/beside you when you smoke them off at the lights (not that I condone that).

Failing that what about "Melbzetec Power" and the 2.0 badge.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I voted for Ford Racing, I like the idea of a 'Ford Racing' Focus.

I'm not so sure about the Cobra - I think that it should be left for the V8 Shelby's.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

?

Sorry, can't help myself sometimes.

I would say a herrod badge, but the one you posted isn't that great looking. Something subtle would be the way.

Otherwise just pull the zetec badges off, but leave the focus one on there. I've seen a few completely debadged and they look a little funny. It really highlights how round the back of the car looks.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
melbzetec

If I did any of these badges, they'd be black on a silver background, not colour like some of the examples above. For example, the Herrod logo would be black on silver.

TJ I agree... completely debadged looks odd on the Focus. Normally that would be my first pick, but it looks odd

Even just the Focus badge on the left without a badge on the right looks unbalanced to me on the Focus, but I did that this afternoon any way

Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
dave_vic_ozz

Here are a few more.

http://www.teamtorquesteer.co.uk/fie...le-badges.html

I like the RS badge. UK influence?

OR a colour coded badge. I think there is someone here who does it. They take a Ford badge, remove the colour and add a colour coded resin.
dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
melbzetec

Maybe if I can get the power further up, I could do and ST180 or something!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
melbzetec

here's a fun one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
Tj-zetec

I put a small dreamscience badge on my car (well, on the rego plate cover at least) and it's small chrome lettering on black and it looks very neat and subtle.
It would look cool if you could get a herrod badge similar.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "You could get a herrod badge similar".

I am sure Rob's created his own design for his customers. Have you made a request to him, Steven??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
melbzetec

He's given me a couple in the past Eddie, but they are a bit ordinary.

If I went the Herrod route, I'd get a decent one made. There are a couple of places in the states that will produce custom badges at a reasonable price

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
FORD5

The car looks tops mate, and i like the zetec badge and the 2.0 badge both are nice
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Tj-zetec

You can get a discount for team torquesteer through fordxr5turbo.com FYI

Old 13-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Tj-zetec

How about this?

http://visualvinyl.co.uk/shop/restor.../prod_257.html

They make them in a whole swag of different colours and sizes. I think the smallest was about 3 inches.

The purists might not enjoy it but if it's small and subtle it'd make a nice homage to small performance fords.

Old 13-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about Zetec?
Old 14-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #21
dave_vic_ozz

I like this.

dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
melbzetec

So do I.

But I'd never put it on a non RS car. Sacrilege!

I have however been looking at one of these

Subtle and not try hard (I don't think so anyway).

Genuine Ford badge

Either on its own on the right hand side (subtle), or under a 2.0 litre badge

Old 15-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

^ how big are these?

PS - I still like the Ford Racing idea It kind of says 'High performance' without saying 'High performance'
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
melbzetec

OK, some further thoughts

The Focus looks odd with just the Focus badge on the left hand side and nothing on the other side (IMHO) See above

It also looks weird with no badges at all.

To my eye it needs a badge on the right hand side to balance it.

And the Ford Racing logo just looks odd, I think because of the replication of the Ford oval

(NB This is not a life or death question. Just having fun playing with the possibilities)

So.......

I have ordered this from the US:

Which is probably what I'll put on

But I also thought about this.(And don't immediately flame me)

What if I called it a Focus GT? (Bear with me here) If the definition of Gran Turismo (GT) is luxury and performance , I now have both, in a combination never produced by Ford. Big increase in engine performance and full leather interior.(Ford did a "luxury" version... the Ghia, or "performance" version ST or RS, but not both together.) A GT is also not a model that exists, so it's not trying to pass it off as another model.

If I did that, I could get this badge (same font as the Focus" badge) and cut out the "G" and "T" to create a GT badge

or alternatively get one of these:

What does all this prove? I have too much time on my hands!!!

Flame away

Old 21-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #25
819_FLY

Once again Powe by Ford be my vote mate.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #26
melbzetec

I think you're right!

ps I still find your avatar creepy!

Last edited by melbzetec; 21-10-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 21-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I still am of the same opinion (see Post #7) and, I'm sorry, if it were my Focus I wouldn't be placing a GT badge on it. Why? Consider all the Eurofords that have preceded the Focus and ask yourself how many models have had GT badges affixed to their rears. Maybe the Capri and the Cortina (but was that a Euroford?) had a GT model but the Sierra had COSWORTH and the MK I Focus and now the current-generation has an RS badge.

Also check out what you've put in Point 4 in your original post and maybe therein lies your answer. I don't know the origins of the Ford Racing logo but presume it's a pretty widely recognised brand and if I saw it on the back of a Ford I'd be thinking that that model could be something out of the ordinary.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Old 21-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I get where your thinking with the GT badge and I like it. However your not in europe, your in aust. Here in Australia it is too recognised as a falcon symbol and you know it (hence your fear of being burned).

I agree with the ford racing logo clashing with the existing logo. Do you have any cosworth components under that hood of yours? cos that is a name that people will fear.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
melbzetec

I'd love to have the Cosworth badge, but alas no Cosworth parts.

I have ordered the Power by Ford black and silver badge, so we'll see how that looks.

And you're right. I was thinking Capri GT etc , but GT is too associated with Falcon, and so would end up being seen as a wannabe.

Been a fun exercise though. Been lots of others thoughts I haven't mentioned (Colin McCrae signature anyone?), but I'll go with the Power by Ford badge for now