Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
alokin123

Default Looking to buy a new Ford Focus

Hi
Its my first post. I am considering buying a new car and the Ford Focus Sport Hatch (Auto Petrol) is on my list of potential cars.

Just curious as to what i should be able to haggle the price down to? With no extras its $33 494 according to Fords website.

I am planning on trading in my Toyota Corolla Conquest 2002 model. Its in fairly good condition, still under 94 000Kms. The only issue is the Cd player doesnt work which i am sure will not be good when trying to trade it in. The rego is due at the end of this month so was hoping trade it in by then but i think i may be leaving it too late. What is the best i could hope for a trade in price?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
robinsoa
Starter Motor

Default Re: Looking to buy a new Ford Focus

I know someone who got a Focus Sports Auto Petrol Drive away for 29,600 recently including mats. And they got an excellent Trade in price on top of that as well.
You should be able to do that, maybe better depends on your haggle skills.
robinsoa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsoa
You should be able to do that, maybe better depends on your haggle skills.
My haggle skills will need a bit of work. I would even consider the Titanium, just not sure how to approach the fact that i would go the Titanium if a good deal could be worked out.

My two concerns about this car:

1. rear passenger space - is it really as bad as i have seen.
2. The Sat Nav - how do the maps get updates? Does it actually work ok?
Old 14-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123
My haggle skills will need a bit of work. I would even consider the Titanium, just not sure how to approach the fact that i would go the Titanium if a good deal could be worked out.

My two concerns about this car:

1. rear passenger space - is it really as bad as i have seen.
2. The Sat Nav - how do the maps get updates? Does it actually work ok?
I wouldn’t say space in the back is enormous, as other small cars do have better space packaging. This has never really been a Ford strong point in any of my Fords so far. Front and rear leg room is the cars only major downfall space wise for me, though rear flat folding seats would be nice as would a bigger boot. But each to their own, the only way you can test this is by trying it yourself.

The Sat Nav is updatable, when Ford release new mapping. Not sure when this will be, but there is a section on the Ford website that mentions updates. The software appears to be from 2009 right now, but it worked better than the TomTom on my iPhone last night getting out of Brisbane, so I’m happy with it for now.

As for the models, I’d always say go the Titanium for a few extra grand more. Some of the features on it are just phenomenal!
Old 14-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
alokin123

thanks for the feedback guys. I am hopefully going to get some time this weekend to go in for a test drive to see how it feels.

I know these need servicing every 12 months and i know Ford has fixed price servicing. Does anyone know what the cost breakdown would be per service?
Old 13-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
anto
Za Dom spremni

My sister picked up a demo titanium for 29k and its a great car packed full of features.

Passenger space is good considering its a small car, was very surprised at cabin space all round.

oh and dont even mention the cd player, they wont check stuff like that.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
entheos

If you're sydney based, pop into Sinclair and ask for me (Michael - New Cars) and I'll look after you.

Capped priced service is $305 for all of the A services (12m/15k, 24m/30k, 36m/45k, 60m/75k, 72m/90k and 84m/105k) and $440 for the B Service (48m/60k) for a petrol. Diesel is marginally more for the A services at $335 per A service, however jumps to $905 for the B Service mainly due to the fuel filter being IN the tank..gotta drop it to replace it...labour...ewww...

EDIT: The other issue you're going to run into at this point in time is stock availability. Trend and Sport are that hard to get at the moment it's not funny...

Last edited by entheos; 14-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
If you're sydney based, pop into Sinclair and ask for me (Michael - New Cars) and I'll look after you.

Capped priced service is $305 for all of the A services (12m/15k, 24m/30k, 36m/45k, 60m/75k, 72m/90k and 84m/105k) and $440 for the B Service (48m/60k) for a petrol. Diesel is marginally more for the A services at $335 per A service, however jumps to $905 for the B Service mainly due to the fuel filter being IN the tank..gotta drop it to replace it...labour...ewww...

EDIT: The other issue you're going to run into at this point in time is stock availability. Trend and Sport are that hard to get at the moment it's not funny...
Thanks for that. I am in the Penrith area so if you guys are the one on the highway i will most likely be popping in on Saturday. I know about the shortage of cars and potential delivery delay so there is nothing much i can do about that.

I am currently looking at either the focus or the 2012 subaru impreza. But it might not be either if i dont feel comfortable after a test drive.
None of the other cars in the mid size car segment really appeal to me apart from these two cars for some reason.
Old 14-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
entheos

Quote:
Thanks for that. I am in the Penrith area so if you guys are the one on the highway i will most likely be popping in on Saturday. I know about the shortage of cars and potential delivery delay so there is nothing much i can do about that.

I am currently looking at either the focus or the 2012 subaru impreza. But it might not be either if i dont feel comfortable after a test drive.
None of the other cars in the mid size car segment really appeal to me apart from these two cars for some reason.
Cool, well I'll be here. I'll have (I think) a 2L at least you can drive...it'll be a titanium...but they have the same power and mechanically are the same...just a only slightly harsher ride due to the rims and tyres.
Old 15-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
alokin123

Quote:
Cool, well I'll be here. I'll have (I think) a 2L at least you can drive...it'll be a titanium...but they have the same power and mechanically are the same...just a only slightly harsher ride due to the rims and tyres.
Is the "harsher" ride a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 15-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
entheos

Quote:
Is the "harsher" ride a good thing or a bad thing?
Hey mate. It's subjective. Some people don't like it...others prefer it... Becuase of the 18" rims and 40 series Tyres, it makes for a slightly...and I mean really slightly harsher ride than the sports model and the trend... I don't mind it personally, but if you're ALWAYS driving on rough roads you may not like it. The one I have here tomorrow is a petrol Titanium hatch with a Sports Executive pack as has been mentioned in this thread....but mechanically are the same as the Sports and Trend as far as motor and drivetrain and suspensions is concerned. Difference is in the interior styling (trend to the upper 2 models being vastly different) and the tech features...with the titanium having active park assist, heated leather seats, keyless fob for entry and operation of the car... I'll go through the whole thing with you tomorrow and show you all the differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol
I say go for a Titanium. Even better with the sports pack. ;)

Ahh, if i ever have any issues with my car, i'll definitely be asking for you, Michael.
Hey Nichol,

No problems...happy to help out wherever possible.
Old 19-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
alokin123

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, with fixed price servicing, is this something that is locked in at the time of vehicle purchase or could it change down the track?
Old 21-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
david256

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, with fixed price servicing, is this something that is locked in at the time of vehicle purchase or could it change down the track?
Yes, its in the terms and conditions, the price may be updated when appropriate.

I recently payed $32800 for my Titanium Diesel Sedan.
david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
alokin123

ok, i have contacted a few other ford dealerships who reckon they could beat the price i was quoted. Am i obligated to take the car for a service to the Ford Dealership where i purchased the car from or can i take it to any Ford dealership?

Also, how many sets of keys do we get? Please dont tell me its just one.
Old 22-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
alokin123

just got an email from a Ford dealer saying the Sport focuses have been assigned on the Boat coming over from Germany. The next batch will be from Thailand. I wonder if this true?
Old 22-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Foconatic

Quote:
ok, i have contacted a few other ford dealerships who reckon they could beat the price i was quoted. Am i obligated to take the car for a service to the Ford Dealership where i purchased the car from or can i take it to any Ford dealership?

Also, how many sets of keys do we get? Please dont tell me its just one.
Any Ford dealership.
Two keys

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
jonohoang

2012 subaru impreza - don't you think the Subaru new model is a bit boxy?
I prefer the older model compared to the current model.
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang
2012 subaru impreza - don't you think the Subaru new model is a bit boxy?
I prefer the older model compared to the current model.
I dont mind the shape. I actually wasn't impressed by the pictures but then i went and actually saw one and it actually looked better in real life (i thought). Its quite roomy to.
Old 14-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Nichol

I say go for a Titanium. Even better with the sports pack. ;)

Ahh, if i ever have any issues with my car, i'll definitely be asking for you, Michael.
Old 16-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
marco_b
Starter Motor

Hi Alokin123.

I picked up my Moondust Silver, Auto, Petrol, Sport Hatch last Thursday. Ordered last week February. A long wait but well worth it.

$29700 driveaway from John McGrath Ford in Belconnen (Canberra).

Entheos, can you beat that price??
marco_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_b
Hi Alokin123.

I picked up my Moondust Silver, Auto, Petrol, Sport Hatch last Thursday. Ordered last week February. A long wait but well worth it.

Wow, that's a nice price but a long wait. Was that with a bit of haggling?

The weather was pretty miserable today so i didn't go and check the car out. Hopefully tomorrow if the weatherman is right.
Old 16-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
marco_b
Starter Motor

No haggling at all. I asked straight up and that was the price he gave. I was very surprised. I was expecting to negotiate from the Ford website quoted price of $33800. I asked twice to make sure that was the price for the Sport Auto and not one of the other models. He explained that the dealership had a high turnover of cars so he was able to offer a significant discount. I didn't have a trade in and was paying cash so but don't know if that would have made a difference.

Hope you can come close to getting a similar price. If you need a copy of my invoice as proof of the price, let me know and I can send you a copy.

I love the car. It is brilliant. Go with the Focus!!
marco_b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_b
Hi Alokin123.

Well I'm not going to go into negotiations on a public forum, but rest assured we will do everything we can to get anyone into their choice of car for the best price possible. It also depends on how the car was registered, what the rego costs were for where you bought it from to your native state, etc.

Quote:
Wow, that's a nice price but a long wait. Was that with a bit of haggling?

The weather was pretty miserable today so i didn't go and check the car out. Hopefully tomorrow if the weatherman is right.
I didn't have anyone come ask for me regarding a sports Hatch, so I assume you weren't able to make it in this weekend?

Michael.
Old 18-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Looking for a trend auto hatch in Se Qld is being a chore today. I need a car soon not September. I don't really want a Ambiente but they are better than expected. Long day of test driving and looking.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
alokin123

Quote:
Well I'm not going to go into negotiations on a public forum, but rest assured we will do everything we can to get anyone into their choice of car for the best price possible. It also depends on how the car was registered, what the rego costs were for where you bought it from to your native state, etc.

I didn't have anyone come ask for me regarding a sports Hatch, so I assume you weren't able to make it in this weekend?

Michael.
Sorry Michael, i did come in on Sunday but ended up dealing with one of your colleagues. Sorry about that. I got quoted $29888 with no extras for the Sport. I'm not sure if there is anything you could do now.

I really like the drive, the engine has good power. All of the buttons are a bit confronting which would take some getting used to. The space isnt great but i am not often driving 4 people around.

I also drove the new impreza which is a real nice car also but the cvt isnt very responsive and once it gets to a certain speed it is quite loud. It is a very spacious car as well which was nice.

Out of the two cars i am leaning towards the Focus but it would be nice to take it for another drive. Are we allowed to take cars for two test drives?

Are there any extras that people recommend that i should get for the Focus?
Old 19-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
entheos

That's unfortunate...

Of course you can take it for a 2nd drive, however you'll have to deal with whoever you spoke to on Sunday.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
entheos

First 6 years/105,000kms - which ever comes first.
Old 23-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
MR4ORD
Slow going

Bought my Auto Sport Petrol hatch for $29,200 brand new.

Titanium might have more stuff but the ride is better in the sport, smaller wheels make for a better turning circle and ride.

I guess all the magazine reviews couldnt be wrong about that
good luck
MR4ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR4ORD
Bought my Auto Sport Petrol hatch for $29,200 brand new.
Thats the sort of price i was hoping for, low $29K. Did you have to haggle for that?
Old 23-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
scotty_p
Starter Motor

I got mine manual sport for $28000 drive away pick it up tues and yeah was told that this shipment was the last before the Thai ones come in
scotty_p is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post