Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
soulink

Default Repost Noise coming from rear of car

Hey guys,

Last night i went to the servo to fill up like usual, Started driving home, when i went to do a u turn, i had the loudest tick/nocking sound come from the rear of the car, it sounded like it was every rotation of the rotar or something, soon after that (about a minute) the noise just turnes into a screeching grinding noise whilst turning either direction. If i then leave the car for say an hour and drive it the noise is gone.

now the same noise happened when i was at heathcote after about 10 runs, same thing happened at the end of the track as i was about to turn right onto the exit lane.

Any thoughts would be great as i want to get this fixed before nationals

Some have said that it is most likely the diff, but is it possibly it could be wheel barings? just a thought
Thanks

(Repost from before, sorry i wrote the B word!! )

soulink is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its the diff. Take it to a shop so they can look at it. Mine was a minimum of $1100 for a rebuild with an LSD, or for me to get a LOKKA (499 off ebay) and my 3.9's installed, it was $950 for everything including the LOKKA, and I would reccomend using the LOKKA over the LSD as the LOKKA will not destroy itself as quick.
Old 26-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
soulink

ok sounds good ill find out some pricing
Old 26-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Kryton

Are you for real.

A whole thread where 90% of the replies answered your question and you still need to make another thread about the same thing.
And we all know you did it on the street and not at Heathcote either.

Seems what most thought were correct.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
soulink

I want to just get alot of suggestions and i made the other thread get deleted to make evreyone happy, why the hostility?
Old 26-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Kryton

There are no other suggestions that will be different to the last thread.
You broke your car through your own stupidity - you figure out whats wrong with it yourself.
Doing burnouts is lame, especially on a public road, and then to come here and expect others to help you...............
Old 26-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
soulink

And what u saying never once in your life you have never done something (Stupid)? So your pretty much saying if you break the car yourself (witch we all do) and its whilst doing a stupid thing (witch we have all done) do not enter this forum?? The forum (I thought) is here for ppl to post about problems and for others to help out, regardless of how the problem originated??
And someone out there may have had the same thing and NOT been the diff and i would love to here it!!
Ive allready talked to admin about it, and im so so so sorry that i said the word burnout, he said its fine, i made a mistake, case over, so whats the problem?
Old 26-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Kryton

No problem, just dont be stupid and do burnouts on the street - that's all.
Old 26-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Are you for real.

A whole thread where 90% of the replies answered your question and you still need to make another thread about the same thing.
And we all know you did it on the street and not at Heathcote either.

Seems what most thought were correct.
Again you are wrong, I attened the last Heathcote drag day to which this person followed me there. Sdo therefor I know when he left Heathcote that there was a noise coming from the rear of this car.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
You broke your car through your own stupidity - you figure out whats wrong with it yourself.
Doing burnouts is lame, especially on a public road, and then to come here and expect others to help you...............
I know for a fact he doesnt drive like an idiot on the road hes not what you'd class a hoon. he had noises coming from the rear at heathcote drag day. get off his back! he needs advice NOT criticism, even if it was his fault. we all do stupid things. sure you have aswell.

And if youve got no advice, dont post.
Old 26-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
All you do is post criticism. I know for a fact as well that his diff was making noises at Heathcote. Caning soulink when he needs advice on a blown diff? Very nice. This is what new people to the forum want to see. They wanna see people with high rep and posts treating them like that. Soulink may have made a mistake or caused it to blow BUT at the end of the day, HE NEEDS THE HELP OF THIS FORUM.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~

Last edited by Mechan1k; 26-05-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Cleaned the language up as per site T&C
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Okay ... we all see the point here.

I think everyone needs to calm down a little as well.
At least now we know the OP already had this noise at Heathcote Dragway ... and multiple forum members can vouch for this (also can vouch for his driving attitude on the road as well.

Unfortunately the mention of burnout was used prior ... and this leads to assumptions.

And we all know what Assume means (hopefully ... some might not get it).

I did not get a chance to see the prior thread ... so was not privvy to the information provided in that thread (The other mods may have though).

OK ... will leave this thread open for now as we have cleared it up a bit ... any further posts deemed not relevant to the OP's thread will be cleaned.

If it gets out of hand even further ... it will get shutdown.

I hope everyone comes to a rational agreement.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulink
Hey guys,

Last night i went to the servo to fill up like usual, Started driving home, when i went to do a u turn, i had the loudest tick/nocking sound come from the rear of the car, it sounded like it was every rotation of the rotar or something, soon after that (about a minute) the noise just turnes into a screeching grinding noise whilst turning either direction. If i then leave the car for say an hour and drive it the noise is gone.........
I know of a good 3:08 diff that has almost 300,000K's on it BUT its in really good condition. Will let you know as soon as I can. Hope it helps
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
I know of a good 3:08 diff that has almost 300,000K's on it BUT its in really good condition. Will let you know as soon as I can. Hope it helps
Seeing as tho I just bought a new tool kit I'll hep you fit it.
Old 26-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Don't stress mate we'll sort it out and help you with it. We're on the case!
Old 26-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I think the bickering thread needs a re read.

Sure he posted the exact thread earlier detailing a different course of events, but who cares. It went off topic, this one should be given a chance to stay on topic.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I think the bickering thread needs a re read.

Sure he posted the exact thread earlier detailing a different course of events, but who cares. It went off topic, this one should be given a chance to stay on topic.
Which is what I am intending to do ... but will keep a close eye on it anyway ... and make sure everyone plays nicely
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I play nicely only to those who now the facts
Old 27-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #19
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too bad I sold my 3.23 single in mint condition about 2-3 months back
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

There is no reason to get hostile.

The reason these Fourms exist is to help answer questions on how to fix things on cars ..... as far as this thread stands, nothing here says anything was done untoward so just answer the questions asked by the OP and drop the accusations and off topic clap trap.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Its the diff. Take it to a shop so they can look at it. Mine was a minimum of $1100 for a rebuild with an LSD, or for me to get a LOKKA (499 off ebay) and my 3.9's installed, it was $950 for everything including the LOKKA, and I would reccomend using the LOKKA over the LSD as the LOKKA will not destroy itself as quick.
Didnt know you felt that way about spooled diffs Monty? Remember?

Id do the same as above or try to source a good lsd out of a xr6/Fairmont.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

I dont mean a locker, I mean the 4wd systems LOKKA. Can still be open when turning and under coasting if you be carefull. But yes, I do remember, its still not optimum for the street by any stretch of the imagination, but if your going to use a car for drags/drift/etc, an LSD is useless.
Old 27-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
soulink

thanks for the advise ill look into it, also i can hear the diff whilst rolling how long until you guys think it will blow or stop working, (just driving it like a granma now) ??
Old 27-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
thanks for the advise ill look into it, also i can hear the diff whilst rolling how long until you guys think it will blow or stop working, (just driving it like a granma now) ??
how long's a piece of string? no way of knowing til you pull it down really
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #25
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

I have the same issue with my Au. In mine anyway its the handbrake and both sides that is the culprit. Some times it's quiet other times i have to turn the stereo up to over come the noise. If ure issue is the handbrake the only fix is to remove the disks and clean the shoes and backing plate, dissasemble the acctuator, grease actuator reassemble, grease contact points between shoes and backing plate and adjust correctly. The adjustment being very important... I haven't done it on my car cause i know what it is and it doesn't bother me.
P.S. Check to make sure ure axle bearing don't have excessive play, will cause excessive handback noise and in bad cases acctually cause the disk to come in contact with the caliper bracket. Good Luck Later...............
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
Too bad I sold my 3.23 single in mint condition about 2-3 months back

Hey static, which AU did the 3.23 come out in. Have had trouble getting accurate advise, on standard Au diffs. Auturbo.......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
The Monty
Just slidin'

3.23 in the Fairmonts, non Ghia.
3.08's in the forte's.
3.45's in the Fairmont Ghia IRS, and Fairlanes, all Non LSD.
3.45 LSD in the XR's.
Old 29-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #28
soulink

One other thing j thought I would ad, is over the last couple of months, the gear changing is getting tighter as if I've got a shift kit but I don't, could that give another hint?
Thanks
Old 29-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
One other thing j thought I would ad, is over the last couple of months, the gear changing is getting tighter as if I've got a shift kit but I don't, could that give another hint?
Thanks
sounds like a transmission issue to me
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thanks
Had it serviced at all?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post