Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default A novel climate control display fix.

I had a few minutes to spare today and put my mind to a solution for my climate control display. I've been having ongoing issues with my CCs' after I bought a replacement for my original failed one . The replacement was one of the "fixed" ones you can get off of Ebay although I bought it from a third party out of a wreck and only discovered it was a modded one when it also failed and I pulled it apart. Anyhoo, I have been hunting high and low for conductive membrane tape with no luck and have approached many an electronics repairer only to be told it can't be re-glued and to bin it. But being the stubborn pr!ck that I am I wasn't going to give up that easily and tried to think outside the box for a solution. To this end, I noticed that when I pressed on the tape where it joined the circuit board with my fingers I could get the various elements to on the display to light up so all I needed to do was find a way to press the full length of the tape to the board all at the same time and make it stay there and the display should work. So this is what I came up with -

The smallest bulldog clips I could find and a thin strip of swede leather (or inner tube rubber would work too I reacon, I just happened to have a scrap of leather). Line up the tape over the contacts, wrap the leather over the tape to protect it and clip the whole lot down then remove the wire levers -

I plugged it in and tested it and it worked perfectly so I chopped out the fascia and back cover to allow for the clips then put the whole unit back together and slipped it back into place for a perfectly working climate control display. Who knows how long it will last, maybe indefinitely maybe not but at worst only a clip can come adrift which can be easily and quickly reattached, all for less than $5. It would seem to me that original untouched units that are starting to fade can also benefit from this method by just attaching clips as above to re-enforce the join without the expense of replacing or reconditioning them.
Only time will tell how long it will last but, hey, it didn't cost me anything to do and it's working perfectly.

The one in the pics is the second unit I just removed from the car and did up for the pics. The tape is completely stuffed as it was the "fixed" one and there's not enough tape left to fold over the board but you get the idea of what the other one is like.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post: