Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
t2te50
Banned

Default Camber settings on AU wrong out of factory

I went to ford to buy some camber adjusting shims for the front end. As far as I know FORD didn't bother adjusting camber off the production line so that explains why so many chew the inside of tyres. My local dealer told me that they're only available from bayford on the hume highway opposite the broadmeadows factory.
Pricks were telling me you can't just guess the size required because it just won't be right. I told the service adviser that it has survived for 80,000 with the camber being out by 1/2 a cm so being out .2 of a mm or whatever won't do sweet FA.
I understand that every car is different off the production line (slightly), but if its never been prangged you can get away with it. So I just got the measurements off the TE50 in which the arm is spaced out 1cm and did exactly the same to the fairlane (xr8 springs).
The difference is unbelievable, smoother more grip because the wheel is flush with the road couldn't be happier. Let you guys know how the tyre wear goes.
There are 5 different types ranging from 4.8 mm to 5.3mm

Last edited by t2te50; 29-08-2005 at 11:29 PM.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
t2te50
Banned

No one has tyre issues?
Old 30-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ah no..and I highly doubt ford would release some cars with the camber out...
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
t2te50
Banned

well our au was scrubbing inner fronts like no tomorro. Ford technician even substantiated these claims.
Old 30-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
ah no..and I highly doubt ford would release some cars with the camber out...
Bwahahahah, yeah, right. My EB was so far out it was a joke. Classic issues with Falcons is both the camber and castor are totally screwed from the factory on a regular basis.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

easy fix ... besides how many falcon owners keep the standard mags, tyres and springs/shocks :p
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChief
easy fix ... besides how many falcon owners keep the standard mags, tyres and springs/shocks :p
About 99%.
The modding community is a very small part of Falcon owners. The vast majorty never change a thing.

Old 30-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

We as consumer's shouldn't have to buy are product to only get a problem rectifiyed at our cost's, my AU's tyre's scrub out bad.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Escapology
Formerly known as AUIISR

My Series II SR is scrubbing inner fronts like you wouldn't believe...well actually you guys would believe it.

For someone not mechanically minded, would you recommend a trip to Ford (Bayford Coburg where I bought it) or elsewhere ie steering bloke? :
Escapology is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #10
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our AUII XR was out majorly too... by time we noticed it had ed the inside edges of the front tyres. Dealer fixed it under warrenty at least though...
Old 30-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIISR
My Series II SR is scrubbing inner fronts like you wouldn't believe...well actually you guys would believe it.

For someone not mechanically minded, would you recommend a trip to Ford (Bayford Coburg where I bought it) or elsewhere ie steering bloke? :
If its under warrenty the yes, go to Ford. If not, anywhere BUT Ford. A good reputable wheel place can usually fit a caster and camber kit easy enough to fix the problem.

Old 30-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
glennboy
Starter Motor

nolathane make a really good camber kit for the AU falcon that comes with a number of shims and helps the car drive better

glennboy
glennboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #13
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
I went to ford to buy some camber adjusting shims for the front end. As far as I know FORD didn't bother adjusting camber off the production line so that explains why so many chew the inside of tyres. My local dealer told me that they're only available from bayford on the hume highway opposite the broadmeadows factory.
Pricks were telling me you can't just guess the size required because it just won't be right. I told the service adviser that it has survived for 80,000 with the camber being out by 1/2 a cm so being out .2 of a mm or whatever won't do sweet FA.
I understand that every car is different off the production line (slightly), but if its never been prangged you can get away with it. So I just got the measurements off the TE50 in which the arm is spaced out 1cm and did exactly the same to the fairlane (xr8 springs).
The difference is unbelievable, smoother more grip because the wheel is flush with the road couldn't be happier. Let you guys know how the tyre wear goes.
There are 5 different types ranging from 4.8 mm to 5.3mm
I seriously doubt that the amount of camber your vehicle had would cause the inner edge of the tyre to wear, I think you will find that the specification released by Ford for the toe setting was way off the mark when the AU series was released, this has been the cause of a majority of scrubbed tyres. Tyre centres still adjust toe settings to these specs.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

negative camber will make your tyres wear out quicker although toe is more of a factor as it moves more easily say if you hit a kurb or a big pothole. the more you lower you car the more negative camber you create and have to adjust back out with shims or camber/castor kits (longer bolts and shims).
You would have to run 1 and a half to 2 degrees of negative camber to kill you tyres quicker. I run just a little bit of negative camber (about 3/4 of a degree), this helps a lot when cornering in and doesn't have a huge effect on my tyre wear.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
mattsAU1

i put 18*8 inch rims on my AU1 and although it still pulls a little to the left i have had no probs with tyres stock or with the rims on
the guy i live with has an EL Fairmont Ghia and he had 17's on and his pulled to the left and now has 19's on and still does the same and he had a camber castor kit fitted when he changed over
my old man had a AU3 his pulled to the left and now has a BA MK2 Fairmont Ghia and is only 3 months old and has done bout 7000 kms and his pulls to tha left too
anyone else had this prob
i have the results of my last wheel alignment from pedders and they say it is just a ford thing
as far as i know all 4 cars have no probs handling corners as all 4 have at least got XR6 suspension or lower????
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I got my XR8 I took it to my wheel alignement bloke within 2 weeks. No abnormal tyre wear.. on the front.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Well now look what you've gone and done XA Coupe! How can I nominate my COTY for 2005 candidate now? He was so far in front of anyone else.. :MrT_anim:

Sorry.. off topic.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #18
GTHOXR8

when I picked up my AU1 Forte from the dealer, as soon as I drove it out it was pulling severly to the left. Brought it straight back the next day and the dealer had to put in a shim to set the alignmnet right. Two weeks later I fitted after market alloys and I had the tyre place check the alignment and they could not get it right with the shim in. They took it out and from then it was fine. 10 thou k later with fantastic even wear, I take it back to the dealer for a service and also get the mandatory wheel alignment. They put the shim in and the car pulls to the left. Take it straight back, shim removed and job done again and everything is fine. As been since and now has 90k on the clock. Go figure!
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8
when I picked up my AU1 Forte from the dealer, as soon as I drove it out it was pulling severly to the left. Brought it straight back the next day and the dealer had to put in a shim to set the alignmnet right. Two weeks later I fitted after market alloys and I had the tyre place check the alignment and they could not get it right with the shim in. They took it out and from then it was fine. 10 thou k later with fantastic even wear, I take it back to the dealer for a service and also get the mandatory wheel alignment. They put the shim in and the car pulls to the left. Take it straight back, shim removed and job done again and everything is fine. As been since and now has 90k on the clock. Go figure!
After quite some time into AU production Ford identified an error in assembly which caused so many but not all AU's to pull left. I did so many I could workout exactly what shim thickness was required first time round to even up the caster to correct the alignment.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post