Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Default Roll Cage And Parachute

Does anyone one here know when you are required to fite these???

Roll Cage = xx.xxET
Chute = xxx.xxMPH

Any help would be good

BIG LUKE

XR6BBQ.......... Just when you thought I had given up!!!
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Chris
AFF.com.au

Chute - 140 mph single chute
200 mph double chute

by memory, super sedan grp 3 10.99 or quicker must have an andra approved cage.

hope this helps.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
302donk

spot in for the cage 10.99 and faster chute is 130 with drum rear end and 140 with disc rear end. planning to go that quick?
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Hope they make me put a cage in : :
Don't know bought the chute, thats a bit quick!!!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
302donk

i reed in the grudge match list your ran a 13.2 now your talking about cages and chutes??
Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
i reed in the grudge match list your ran a 13.2 now your talking about cages and chutes??
Before you make any judgement on what I am asking or better yet what my vehicle is doing then you should ask all the right questions first.

What many people don't realise, is that although I have spent a lot of time at the Mock workshop over the past few years I have only ever drag raced 3 times. Yes, thats right 3 times.
1. First outing at Heathcote was the first time I had driven on the track with a car that wasn't set-up right(my FAULT) [14.2sec best time]
2. Second outing at calder, I had electrical trouble[13.7sec best time]
3. Third outing at calder, I over revved the shit out of my engine in the burnout and dropped an exhaust seat, making for one unhappy engine[13.2sec best time on 7 cylinders]

So, now I am changing the setup of my motor(Including a full rebuild) and car to suit the track. In 4 weeks it should be run in and I will head to Calder. With my new setup, my aim is 12.00 and quicker. Later on, I will put a big shot of NOS in it and hopefully I will get into the 10's.

NOW, I ASK, WHY WOULD I WANT A CAGE??????????

Last edited by XDSLIDER; 01-06-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
BJ
Banned

If you are after that sort of work try Sean Mullins race cars in Bayswater. He does great work and he will build it to fit not like some workshops that do it for a price. Phone him on (03) 9720-5473.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

In regards to cages and chutes, although sometimes a good personal choice to fit them due to safety, Calder and Heathcote do not enforce the same rulings as ANDRA which is the same as stated above.
Looking for another XE.....
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
302donk

hey buddy i wasnt hangin it on you... sorry if i rubed you up the wrong way my fault have fun
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNOS8
In regards to cages and chutes, although sometimes a good personal choice to fit them due to safety, Calder and Heathcote do not enforce the same rulings as ANDRA which is the same as stated above.
The was going to be my next question, as I always see VL's running in the 10's and 9's at Calder and they don't have any safety gear, that I can see.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 AM   #11
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Chute - 140 mph single chute
200 mph double chute

by memory, super sedan grp 3 10.99 or quicker must have an andra approved cage.

hope this helps.
So a newer model falcon that runs quicker than 1o.99 has to have a cage, bugger. I've seen many many cars out at WSIDW that run quicker than this without a cage.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #12
marcuss

et and mph limits only apply at ANDRA sanctioned meets of which calder runs none, heathcote runs several but most are not sanctioned.
What safety equipment you chose to fit to your car and your person at street meets is an individual decision, but if it was my car i would build it to comply with ANDRA regs. One of these days calder management will realise the error of their ways and get back into bed with andra and then you will be able run with the best of them.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 01:37 AM   #13
marcuss

If you want to go down the andra legal road get a rule book (mail order $20 i think). There are many small safety items that may be easier to install when you are building your car. Stuff like fluid lines in cabin, external battery shut off, the way your seat mounts, wheel stud protrusion, oil filter retention just to name a few. All designed to make your car safer. If you run nitrous there are a few more. Have fun.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #14
XRQTOR
Banned

I can understand a cage being required but it should be set at 9.99 not 1o.9, but thats probally why i dont make the rules.

So basically any form of comp in aus means that the rules will more than likely be ANDRA rules hey, follow them or go home.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

So from what everyone has said, I take it that unless it is a sactioned event no cage is needed at our vic tracks.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #16
BJ
Banned

you got it in one.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #17
strife

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
I can understand a cage being required but it should be set at 9.99 not 1o.9, but thats probally why i dont make the rules.

So basically any form of comp in aus means that the rules will more than likely be ANDRA rules hey, follow them or go home.

cage requirements are different between 10.00 and 10.99 (less than 140mph) for mono constructed vehicles with fixed steel roofs

you only require a bolted single roll over hoop with bolted side intrusion bars and back stays

faster and quicker than this is a full cage minimum of six points

also since last year they allowed removable side instrusion bars for cars slower than 8.0
strife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #18
strife

I wonder how long calder takes to start enforcing some rules, hasnt there been a couple of accidents there recently

XRQTOR WSID should be enforcing these rules unless they are letting some mates go through, usually if you exceed they tell you to slow it down or go home
Old 04-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife
I wonder how long calder takes to start enforcing some rules, hasnt there been a couple of accidents there recently

XRQTOR WSID should be enforcing these rules unless they are letting some mates go through, usually if you exceed they tell you to slow it down or go home
There's an Au III xr8 thats running 10.4-11 all day and has no cage or rollover hoop.

He's nearly every street meet but also competed in the holden vs ford show.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a new setup. You'll have to do some testing and go from there. It's all well and good to have high expectations as thats what drives us to go faster (myself inc). Test it. See what it does, tune it to suit and fit what you need.

Racings like the lottery. You may think it's right but when you get there you may find something stupid. For example I use myself. My convertors too small. It's like trying to run a stock stall behind a worked engine. It's crap with slicks but it seems okay with street tyres. Picking the correct stall speeds ain't easy unless your building to a tried and tested setup, that has been done time and time again.

Just have fun doing it I know I will.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #21
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

XDSLIDER.....I'd like to see you do your 10sec pass..It would be good to see!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #22
LTD351

Any way of getting a proper 6 point road registered or is that a thing of the past?
LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #23
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's a think of the past. A 6 point interfere's with the drivers ability to easily use the acellerator pedal.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #24
XRQTOR
Banned

There was a skyline at wensday's street meet that was running in the 9's. Apparently it is owned by Rigolies (spelling ) son, the rotor wizard. It had a full 6point cage and was registered, the commentator said it'd have to be one of the fastest road reg cars in the country so i would only assume your allowed a cage.

I thought you only had to have the cage padded provinding it was put in properly.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:11 PM   #25
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a difference between registerable and registered.

Theres registered but never see's the street due to illegal modifcations and epa issues. I dare say the skyline falls into this one.

Then there is registered. All modified going off to get a r/w and registration. Get's canaried and can pass a r/w without hassles.

Half the cars that claim fastest road reg'd etc. Wouldn't pass a simple r/w test. Take a look at 3/4 of the cars in performance car magazines. Imagine if they were picked up by the EPA. Instant unreg'd.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #26
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx

Theres registered but never see's the street due to illegal modifcations and epa issues. I dare say the skyline falls into this one.

Then there is registered. All modified going off to get a r/w and registration. Get's canaried and can pass a r/w without hassles.

Half the cars that claim fastest road reg'd etc. Wouldn't pass a simple r/w test. Take a look at 3/4 of the cars in performance car magazines. Imagine if they were picked up by the EPA. Instant unreg'd.
I'd be willing to bet good money to say it would pass rego or even pass a pit inspection. It looked like a stock car, sounded like a stock car and went like a cut cat, everyone was supprised to see this thing run a 1o.o6 then a 9.8, 9.4 and finally a 9.2 That's if the N2o injectors are blanks on the street that is.

If it really is this guys son's car it would probally be registered, one of the biggest name's in rotory powered cars in the country.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #27
strife

as before having plates and being legal is two different things
Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #28
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife
as before having plates and being legal is two different things
Yes i understand that in most cases.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:12 PM   #29
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx

remember its much easier to pass an epa test in NSW, the tests are free so you can get yourself an EPA friendly tune.

Thats why Im heading up there.

If an engineer in Sydney is vicroads accredited and says it meets ADR 37 then it does I hope I pass the emission test or I will be a very unfriendly camper.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #30
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
remember its much easier to pass an epa test in NSW, the tests are free so you can get yourself an EPA friendly tune.

Thats why Im heading up there.

If an engineer in Sydney is vicroads accredited and says it meets ADR 37 then it does I hope I pass the emission test or I will be a very unfriendly camper.
If you get pulled by the police or RTA or fail a roadside noise test your up shit creek. I think it's about $48o just to go over the pits at the RTA.

Mate had a subbie that got done for noise and emissons and copped over 3k in fines and sold it, the new owner spent another $3,8oo getting it legal again.