Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default What are your best AU performance mods???

Just though it would be nice to see which mod /s you believe contributed most to the AU 4.0??

I must say that the extractors from JMM and the Lukely cat back have been the best .Combined with the shift kit i ended up with a best 0-100 time of 7.0 seconds on GTECH.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Chip, they REALLY need the ECU sorted, especially mine.

Apart from that the exhaust and intake are a must. I have no complaints about the JMM setup on mine at all, best thing ever done to the car with the chip a close second.

After that, best HAS to be forced induction. If there was ever an engine that screamed for FI its the I6.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Chip, they REALLY need the ECU sorted, especially mine.

Apart from that the exhaust and intake are a must. I have no complaints about the JMM setup on mine at all, best thing ever done to the car with the chip a close second.

After that, best HAS to be forced induction. If there was ever an engine that screamed for FI its the I6.
I agree FI is the best way to get the ford moving at its best.

I have yet to see anyone who has done a cam job and seemed completely wrapped by it.Comments which Ive noticed are .."feels the same but better top end" or "Its really great but...."....or "I cant wait for my chip" I wonder if any cam has lived up to expectations?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'd say Jah Nix and Sox are very happy with their Dev5's

Old 05-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what type of AU to you have Useless?

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Jah_Nix

I LOVE MY DEV 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

But honestly for tite *** mods the best i had for just fun was

my own pod filter install with XR8 snorkel
Mocks DEV 4 cam and Vernier gear (only after he installed it!)
pacemaker basic
and 2.5" with 2 mufflers
oh and Mocky's spark plugs

Actually in retrospect adding his plugs and leads with the zorst and intake was a fun little gain!

OH MY GREATEST MOD THOUGH:-

Adding Tickford Badges to the side of my car put an extra 10rwkw and makes gears changes more smooth
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

I have to say that while I made the comment on cams, I am still yet to play with my vernier and I know that Mock cams are quite good.

I know that the power is held back in the stock auto.But I think a manual is better suited to take advantage of the mods.

I would like to hear from guys and different auto mods too.Were they worth it?

Maybe Mr Hamo can let us know what he thinks of the hi stall converter?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The tickford snorkle and "vindex" intake kit was interesting to try but i don't think the intake mods did anything at all.

The paceakers and exhaust did sound a litle loud but definitely the first mod u should do real noticeable power gains from idle to redline.

The Dev3hl cam made the most noticeable difference though with a complete change to the engines character. it likes to rev! and rev to cut out with a great on cam pull from 3500 rpm up. around 2000-3000 though not all that good maybe worse than just with the exhaust mods and only as good as stock.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Thats easy for me the only mod i have done so far
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 AM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Other than doing the exhaust which is essential, the Unichip was the best mod hands down. It has brought back the fun to my car on several occasions when I was either bored or not entirely happy with it. Chips/edits = essential purchase.

Quote:
I'd say Jah Nix and Sox are very happy with their Dev5's
I wouldn't say I'm unimpressed with mine by any means either however the low down go I lost was missed. I guess thats the tradeoff for more power.

I've since learnt to avoid the dull-er zone below 3000rpms by dumping the clutch with a bit of revs lol. Its not recommended to do for everyday driving but man it kicks the car into action way harder and gets me "out of the hole" way quicker. Top stuff.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
Jah_Nix

Yeah I don't kno how it is in a manual but my low down still got a fair bit of go!!!!

u are right though, 3000rpm is the smile maker but i suppose having the stall converter in an auto helps spool it up just a bit.

Personally a hi stall wouldn't be bad but its too hard to find one thats gonna do exactly what its supposed to do unless i change auto's (done me homework!)
The 2500rpm don't seem to come in at 2500 but more lower revs (1800)- and i'm not game enough to put a 3000+ in. If i took off at 2000rpm i'd be leaving smoke all over the road so its that fine line of stall and gearing

Do you find your DEV 5 2000 - 3000 rpm you get little power spikes? Like sometimes i take off (and it ain't a smooth takeoff which you would relate too!) and i get little chirps inbetween 2000-3000 and after 3500 its just pull,pull, pull......
(not that i complain about this!)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
carratt
I Love My T3

Quote:
Okay. I'm gonna be the complete newby and ask what FI is? Sorry fellas, I'm still really new at this.
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #13
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Turbo charging for sure

FI: Forced induction
Turbo charging or supercharging

Last edited by Racecraft; 08-03-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
8pAc
RDP #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah_Nix
Do you find your DEV 5 2000 - 3000 rpm you get little power spikes? Like sometimes i take off (and it ain't a smooth takeoff which you would relate too!) and i get little chirps inbetween 2000-3000 and after 3500 its just pull,pull, pull......

Yep i found this in my car with the dev5 cam however i put it down to my head as it was untouched. that was an ed though
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
On uneven roads it is sometimes difficult to get a take off without it wanting to lunge forward....

Like you said, up top end its a killer. I can't wait to get the dev5 head to match the cam.

I guess there's still low down go but nothing as exciting as compared to my car stock with the Unichip. For some reason it just felt better -pantsometer reading.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

For my unopened engine the best 2 improvements have been :
1. Headers and fine tune the rest of the system
2. Unichip
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
For my unopened engine the best 2 improvements have been :
1. Headers and fine tune the rest of the system
2. Unichip
Basically the same as mine...in the same order too.

Its hard to explain how good a chip is till you have one. Then, IMHO, you will never have a peformance car without one. They just make such a huge difference.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
Pik0

Anyone got any idea how the edit is coming along?
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Well, ATM it would be the exhaust mod. Nice note to it.

For the future, need to get power on earlier. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #20
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
For the future, need to get power on earlier. Any ideas?
If you wanna open the car up , go a cam. If not and you're likely to stick with what you have then go the chip.

Old 20-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #21
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I agree FI is the best way to get the ford moving at its best.

I have yet to see anyone who has done a cam job and seemed completely wrapped by it.Comments which Ive noticed are .."feels the same but better top end" or "Its really great but...."....or "I cant wait for my chip" I wonder if any cam has lived up to expectations?

Ok I can finally say that I am very happy with the cam. I had it redialled by Spiro at Autotech engineering and have noticed a great improvement in acceleration . It spins the wheel around corners and has never done this before with such ease. 0-100 noticeably dissapears quicker too.If power has increased ....I will find out on dyno day.

Lastly ,the guys who get a cam without a vernier gear are kidding themselves. Those who dont feel the benefit of a good cam have not had it dialled it in properly.

Last edited by Stav; 20-03-2005 at 08:09 PM.