Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #31
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Thats assuming they have some?
LOL I was thinking that...

I'm following this thread with interest since I own a Mazda 3 w/4spd auto. I'm assuming they're the same if not similar transmissions.

I've done about 6800 km so far and haven't heard or seen any clunks like the ones you describe. On the other hand my Falcon sure made a few
Old 30-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #32
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I'm following this thread with interest since I own a Mazda 3 w/4spd auto. I'm assuming they're the same if not similar transmissions.
You would assume that your Maz3 will have a japanese spec auto in it... (i.e. good) and the focus would have a euro sourced auto... mmm, who knows... interesting to see anyway! I guess when the time comes, i guess it will be discovered during a test drive.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #33
ZE08TEC
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Hmmm, is this a somewhat regular occurance in LS-LV model auto's?

Likelyhood of trading my LR Zetec in on an auto LS LX or Zetec is high in the new year. And i wouldnt want to get one with a 'clunk'.....

Thats assuming they have some?
Hi

Apparently it's not that common according to Ford, or at least that's the bullsht excuse they are giving me. Therefore in their view it's "normal operation" they all do it they told me
The demo Focus I drove before buying mine didn't clunk into first gear so I had no hesitation in handing over the money for a brand new one.
My advice, if you can, test drive the actual new car you buy from Ford before handing over the cash. Although I doubt they will let you do it.
My Focus has been back to the dealer six times and it's still the friggin same even after a "software update". I don't think they can get it through their heads that some tranny faults that don't scan error messages may be mechanical faults i.e. dodgy band apply solenoids that stick but that requires actual "work" to be done to the tranny. Come on FORD stop playing with your crystal balls and do something about my car. You know who I am. I've spoken to Ford CRC many times already.
ZE08TEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #34
20focus05
I wanna XR5

the autos in the Focus and the Mazda 3/6 are the same.
the only difference is one of the clutch pistons is a few mm longer in the ford unit.

Have you got ford to ring Wayne Phillis Ford at Christies Beach in South Australia
They have seen this Prob and know how to fix it
or ring yourself Here is the Number 0883848066
Ask for Matt but you better be quick as he is leaving soon.

the problem is a faulty seal on the band apply piston.

There are other problems you may see in the future with these boxes, like the loss of overdrive. I see this in ford and mazda but have been seeing it in Mazda the most.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #35
Cuddle_bunny84

I used to work at a Ford dealership as a service advisor, I'm not going to say which one, but we were told by management to tell clients that this problem was "the transmission changing from 1st gear into neutral and that it's an excellent feature as it saves on fuel".
I told them that what they were telling people was an absolute crock and that one day someone wouldn't except that excuse because they'd actually know what they were talking about.

So stick up for yourself, don't let them get away with it. You've just spent $20,000+ on a car, it's not good enough.

Please let me know what Ford comes up with, I am very interested to hear. My guess is they will keep procrastinating because they figure eventually you will give up.

Needless to say I have moved on. Bullshitting to people isn't my thing.
Cuddle_bunny84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #36
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Sounds like Ford are taking leafs out of Microsoft playbook there - it's not a bug it's a feature!!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
ZE08TEC
Starter Motor

Hi 20focus05

Yes, i have passed on the information previously but there's been no reply yet.
Next step is consumer affairs.

@Cuddle_bunny84 thanks for the support I won't let it rest.
ZE08TEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #38
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
the autos in the Focus and the Mazda 3/6 are the same.
the only difference is one of the clutch pistons is a few mm longer in the ford unit.

Have you got ford to ring Wayne Phillis Ford at Christies Beach in South Australia
They have seen this Prob and know how to fix it
or ring yourself Here is the Number 0883848066
Ask for Matt but you better be quick as he is leaving soon.

the problem is a faulty seal on the band apply piston.

There are other problems you may see in the future with these boxes, like the loss of overdrive. I see this in ford and mazda but have been seeing it in Mazda the most.
Have let this go for a while hoping it would go away but after driving my wifes car to the city last night really ****ed me off. I will try and give this bloke a call on Monday with some luck he'll still be there otherwise if I go to a transmision shop will they know what I mean by mentioning 'the seal on the band apply piston ' needs replacing. Dont want to wast time with Ford any more, taking the time off work costs money and Ford think you have nothing else to do.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #39
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Sh!t Matt just left last week on friday.
But I'm sure one of the other guys could help you out.

Auto Trans shops will know what your on about. The seal is part of the piston. And dont let them tell you thst the box has to come out to get to it as the selector shaft is in the way. the selector shaft can be moved out of the way just, with the box in place. they probably want to check out pressures etc so they can be sure.

Once you go to the Auto trans shop and have it fixed, take the offending part to your dealer and stick it up em

Old 19-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #40
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sh!t Matt just left last week on friday.
But I'm sure one of the other guys could help you out.

Auto Trans shops will know what your on about. The seal is part of the piston. And dont let them tell you thst the box has to come out to get to it as the selector shaft is in the way. the selector shaft can be moved out of the way just, with the box in place. they probably want to check out pressures etc so they can be sure.

Once you go to the Auto trans shop and have it fixed, take the offending part to your dealer and stick it up em
I sure will 'stick it up em'.. the guy I will take it to looks after the auto on my Falcon and he wont give me any BS.
Old 20-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
focus14
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITO
Has anybody experienced there auto going ''clunk'' just before you come to a full stop [while under brakes] Car has just had its 3000k service and this was its second visit for this problem but the service dept is trying to palm me off by saying other cars have had this problem going into first gear. What is even more anoying they think you would believe there crap its really puts me off buying an XR6.Anyway its booked in again this wednesday and I said it will be going back every week untill its sorted out.

To Tito: Yes I have the same problem I have a o6 lx focus and have been to Ford and they said everything is fine.I understand what you mean it is like your fighting with the car to slow down then you get this clunk. We are now going to a different Ford dealer next week to see what they say. Also I have like a grinding noise which sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel they have sprayed some sort of lubricant around my steering column, ( which was sprayed all over my interior) but that hasn't solved the problem , So hopefully next week will give us hope!.Please let me know if you find out anything.
focus14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #42
20focus05
I wanna XR5

How has everyone gone with getting this problem fixed?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I plan to take some time off work during Christmas, so I hope to get it looked at then.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #44
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITO
I plan to take some time off work during Christmas, so I hope to get it looked at then.
If they refuse, you should get a tent and setup a camp outside the dealership and protest with signs and the like . I wonder if there's anything they can do to stop you?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #45
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Hey guys with this problem can you try and slow down by just coasting to a slow speed or slow down using the hand brake and does it still bump/thud to a stop or just before.
I have been working on a 98 Lazer and they can have probs with a bad earth in the brake and indicator at the rear. This can cause harsh down shifts or eratic shifts.

so by doing the above would eliminate the brake earth prob, but the focus more than likely has totally different wiring.

BTW they have the same trans
Just a thought.

Old 25-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #46
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Ah found the prob with that lazer, Was a faulty TPS as you just about let your foot off the accel it spiked in voltage to about 3V still with in range so it would not throw a fault code. It did not have harsh shifts just would down shift and shuttle shift at the wrong times.

Any News on your Bump to stop issues?

Last edited by 20focus05; 25-11-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #47
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anybody had anything done yet?
Old 19-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #48
focus181
Starter Motor

Our 2008 LT focus has been back to the dealer 4 times so far with this auto transmission problem. Have also raised a call with Customer Service Dept in Melbourne (fat lot of good that did ). Will be conversing with the Dealer Principal next and then if needbe Office of Fair Trading to try and get something done
focus181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #49
focus14
Starter Motor

Hi ,had the car back to ford transmission center and they replaced tranny with a reco one which had more problems then my original.Toke it back and then they told me that the second tranny had different issues as well as my original problem ,they found that the rear bearing had collapsed causing bearing rollers to go through the valve body.That has been fixed but they admit that the down shift from second to first is still there with the second tranny and there is nothing they can do!!!!!!!!!. So we are investigating further.
focus14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #50
focus181
Starter Motor

I put a complaint into Office of Fair Trading a few weeks ago. Waiting on an outcome from that.....
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #51
20focus05
I wanna XR5

check out some of my posts, I have dealt with this issue with a few older but very similar trans.
Many ford dealers are having this issue and have found out they are fixing the prob.
I dont work for ford but have mates that do.

Did they change the band apply servo piston? the most common fault that causes this problem. band adjustment can play a part too.
As I have said before I have not done much work on the ford box but have done lots on the mazda box which is basicly identical.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 PM   #52
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Oh and if ford tell you the trans goes into neutral when you stop it is not true!!!!!
The holden astra and vectra do.
The ford auto's dont

Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #53
20focus05
I wanna XR5

the only trans that goes into neutral when you stop is the CVT.(in the focus users manual)
Now is the CVT offered in the focus range now?

Old 14-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #54
focus181
Starter Motor

Quote:
check out some of my posts, I have dealt with this issue with a few older but very similar trans.
Many ford dealers are having this issue and have found out they are fixing the prob.
I dont work for ford but have mates that do.

Did they change the band apply servo piston? the most common fault that causes this problem. band adjustment can play a part too.
As I have said before I have not done much work on the ford box but have done lots on the mazda box which is basicly identical.

I took our Focus to 2 different dealers to try and get our problem fixed - with no success, as well as complaining to Ford in Melbourne - that's why we've lodged our complaint with OFT. Nothing was mentioned by either dealer about changing the servo piston - even after it was mentioned by me in correspondence to the dealer where we bought the car from initially
Old 21-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #55
focus181
Starter Motor

Well....received word back from Office of Fair Trading - surprise, surprise....unable to help.
We're now looking at other avenues.....
Old 21-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #56
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I am not so sure about the servo piston - I had Ford look at the servo piston when I had my auto trans rebuilt (to try and fix the clunk problem) - and they found nothing wrong with it, apparently.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #57
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus181

Well....received word back from Office of Fair Trading - surprise, surprise....unable to help.
We're now looking at other avenues.....
What was their reason? And what are you thinking of next?
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #58
focus181
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
What was their reason? And what are you thinking of next?
Part of the reply from OFT : -

"While the OFT took up this matter to assist you, it does not have the authority to adjudicate in marketplace disputes, nor can it direct a trader to take a particular course of action. Contractual disputes between consumers and traders may be brought before an appropriate court or tribunal where matters can be independently determined.

You may wish to seek independent legal advice about the options available to you."

Legal advice..?? could be expensive long-term , but we'll at least be making an enquiry about our chances. Other options - not sure....still considering
Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #59
20focus05
I wanna XR5

did they check the band adjustment? (special tool required, and selective bolt)
Even if they do it by feel, cause I had a mazda (same trans) that would not feel (shift) right at specs so ended up trying different adjustments to get it to feel (shift) right.
The servo I talked about activates the band.
can cause a bad downshift.

Old 17-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #60
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
You can feel our LS change to first as you pull up at the lights, but I wouldn't call it a clunk. Its a very slight shunt I guess. Haven't bothered doing anything about it, because when you're used to BTR equiped E series cars its still 100x smoother
Just an update. Had the 30 000km service on Saturday and the dealer loaded the newest TCM software into the car. The shunt is completely gone now.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post