Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Monaro better than GT40

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...421-1dp8o.html
Was reading the Melbourne Age and come across this one from Holden journo Toby Hagen, he rated the Monaro a 9/10 and the GT40 5/10. Then goes on to rate the later model Falcon GTs 6/10, are these blokes so blatantly pro-Holden or is it me being petty. Historically the Monaro doesnt really rate against the GT40 having won 4 Le Mans 24hrs in a row.

rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Monaro better than GT40

pro-holden for sure
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Bit of an odd comparison really Monaro is a muscle car. GT40 is a supercar! oh well must be holden bias.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

You guys do realise there is a difference between "Rating" and "Comparing" something......

All it looks like to me is he's rated the Monaro as a Muscle car, and rated the GT40 as a Supercar, not compared them to each other.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont usually care about articles much these days but that is terrible.

Falcon GT 6/10. Noise aint everything.

Yeah dont forget the fact the new one would hand a HSV its ****. Certainly not just noise.

As for the Ford GT the score of 5/10 is equally baffling.

The thing looked perfect and went like a supercar should busting out a high 10 quarter mile. Was only 100k US too. Even Jeremy Clarkson bought one.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
As for the Ford GT the score of 5/10 is equally baffling.

The thing looked perfect and went like a supercar should busting out a high 10 quarter mile. Was only 100k US too. Even Jeremy Clarkson bought one.
But wasnt JC's always breaking down ? - looked good, but trouble in high heels.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Then asked for his money back...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toby Hagen say no more . Knows just as much as his dad Will Hagen another journo about cars which is one fifth of bugger all, so i wouldn't be too impressed with anything he said which ever marque he was talking about.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Of course people here have more experience with the whole gamut of cars than Will or Toby :-)
Old 25-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Of course people here have more experience with the whole gamut of cars than Will or Toby :-)
ouch :-(
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Journalists only have as much credibility as the public gives them.

Ford's own superiority complex and lack of effective marketing is what's killing them,
they need to get back in the market and work out why no one is buying Falcon.

Instead of pizzing and moaning every time someone extols the virtues of Holden against Ford,
we should be asking why it is that Ford allows this continuing monopoly of one way opinion to continue.
Perhaps Ford is too skin flint to pay for "advertising" blood money with the right organizations.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Plenty of those around, whilst i disagree with it, they much have used some logic surely.
Stupid article though
Ford Falcon coupe, i mean come on there isnt even a modern iteration. Along with the rest on there that dont have one aswell.
Must have been a slow news day.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Toby Hagen say no more . Knows just as much as his dad Will Hagen another journo about cars which is one fifth of bugger all, so i wouldn't be too impressed with anything he said which ever marque he was talking about.
GT450
The Hagon clan , if brains and knowledge of cars were dynamite this pair wouldn't have enough to mess up what little hair they have .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
But wasnt JC's always breaking down ? - looked good, but trouble in high heels.
The only trouble that JC had was that when the 300 Ford GT's were exported to the UK, they had to have an additional immobiliser fitted for anti-theft purposes, that "add-on" system is what kept stuffing up on Jeremy's (and others) cars.

The GT itself has proven to be a very reliable car, with some examples already passing 60,000 miles of use (everyday driver it would seem - bastards!) The main issue was a recall/improved front suspension upright that got some of the '05 builds.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

did anybody actuly read the story??
or are you lot just blowing hot air for the fun of it...

GT40(1968) vs GT40(2010)
monaro(1967) vs monaro(2002)
VW beetle(1964) vs VW beetle(2010)

old school(original) vs modern(retro)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

GT40(1968) vs GT40(2010)

Yeah i actually read the story hence my Falcon coupe comment, putting cars in the story that dont even have a modern iteration throws any credibility out the window for me.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 25-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Sorry, but even as a big fan of the 60's to 70's Monaro's, I find it impossible to rate the new one above 5/10. To me it was an over glorified Commodore coupe (yes, I know the irony in that comment) over sensationalised by a Holden loving media. They aren't that good.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
The Hagon clan , if brains and knowledge of cars were dynamite this pair wouldn't have enough to mess up what little hair they have .
Will was calling motorsport in the 60s, has called or been in attendance for every major motorsport event held in Australia for over 40 years. Has been driving all manner of cars from all over the world during that time also. Can't have picked up some knowledge along the way you reckon? You know all that GT, Monaro etc. folklore and Bathurst wins people dream about and read about, he was there for ALL of them.
Old 25-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz

GT40(1968) vs GT40(2010)

Exactly. So how did the GT only score a 5 when it was almost identical (but modern) to the original?

Theres was nothing overly special about the monaro. Actually a lot of owners said they were too tame. But a 9/10 it gets.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

I have driven the modern iteration of the GT40, still have the rear tyres I burned off it up the shed as a memento of our few days together. I even took Andrew from Etheridge Ford a quick burn in it to make his day. The car was crude, brutal and competely impractical. Compared to the 911 GT3 I had previously where the 911 would have been 10, the GT would have been 5. Looked horn though :-)
Old 25-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I have driven the modern iteration of the GT40, still have the rear tyres I burned off it up the shed as a memento of our few days together. I even took Andrew from Etheridge Ford a quick burn in it to make his day. The car was crude, brutal and competely impractical. Compared to the 911 GT3 I had previously where the 911 would have been 10, the GT would have been 5. Looked horn though :-)
Pics or it didnt happen
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 25-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

What DJM83 said! I've heard you mention that drive before, but never seen pics!!
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

hmm interesting article. Seemed ok to me. There was no direct comparison between a Monaro and a GT. More of a look back at the revival of each car compared to its original.
I don't agree with the rating with the monaro, I do like the new one, it was a lot fun to drive but compared to the original, meh, i'd give it the same rating at the Falcon GT. The current crop of Falcon GTs have nothing on the originals. The originals were born out of racing pedigree, the current is not and it shows.
The ford GT rating seems to be relevant too, again it doesn't have any racing history but as mentioned in the article has been exectuted perfectly.
The only issue I have with the article is the rating of the Monaro other than that it is fine.
Old 25-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that for intended purposes, the "new" Monaro pretty much equals the "old" Monaro.

i mean, the original Monaro was justa two door kingswood more or less, and i recall looking at one for sale back in the mid-1990's for $3500 that was the absolute poverty pack model...what was jokingly called "one without the lot"...drum brakes, 3 speed column shift, the basic Kingswood dash (long rectangular speedo and no instruments apart from a fuel and temp gauge) and a 161 engine...and bench seat. Stupidly, i turned it down.

Given the choice bewteen a new GT40 and a new Monaro, I think I would choose the Monaro...far more useable and practical in every day life.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #25
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As he is comparing the old models with the new, not Fords vs Holdens etc.
I would like to know how he came up with his ratings?
The one thing that got me was saying that the new FJ Cruiser would just be like a fashion accessory? Surely no one can say they are a nice looking vehicle? Then again, people do buy Rukus and some other horrible looking cars?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #26
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
that just makes them experienced d/heads

i didn't read the whole lot about every car but wasn't the comparison only between the new and old versions of the same car
i didn't think he compared the falcon gt to the 2 door comode dore. i thought he compared the newer gt falcon to the muscle car versions from the late 60's to mid 70's. likewise the 2 door comode dore was compared to the old monaro from what i saw

if that is the case the new 2 dore comode dore might have scored 9 because the previous monaro's were much worse. it doesn't mean the new one was good compared to every other car - just better than the older version

even if i read it wrong, it was only toby hagon after all. i wouldn't expect any more from him than i do from paul gover
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #27
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
What DJM83 said! I've heard you mention that drive before, but never seen pics!!
I only took a phone pic in dim light. Took plenty of shots of the 911 but didn't really get around to shooting the GT. Took Andrew for a spin though if you really need evidence that I am not just pulling my pud.
Old 25-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #28
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate
unsure where you are coming from.
You have stated in previous posts that at the track you drive your FGF6 in AUTO mode albeit performance .
I taken my car out to numerous track days at Mallala (SA) & apart from the first day it's been full manual everytime. There are some points/gear changes the ZF can't cope with.
You have said before it happens to quickly for manual mode so.....
I can dig it up if you've forgotten.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
You guys do realise there is a difference between "Rating" and "Comparing" something......

All it looks like to me is he's rated the Monaro as a Muscle car, and rated the GT40 as a Supercar, not compared them to each other.....
but will then general public think like that? hhmm....
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #30
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
but will then general public think like that? hhmm....
I've got news for you, you are the general public!
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post