Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Falcman0o7
Banned

Default Blood taken, Do you handle it ok?

As the title says guys.

I think I'm a big sook!

Every time I get blood taken I feel sick, dizzy and want to pass out! Not to mention the panic that sets in after years of dealing with panic attacks.
Well today I thought I did it! I passed without a side effect! Then 2 mins later in the car it hit me!
I don't watch it and I doesn't hurt. I can look at blood and guts ect and it doesn't bother me so why do I feel like that!

How do you go?

Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Blood taken, Do you handle it ok?

Some people cop it, others don't.

Thankfully I never have an issue.

Good on ya for donating mate! I really wish more people would do it. Takes no time at all and can go a long way.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Some people cop it, others don't.

Thankfully I never have an issue.

Good on ya for donating mate! I really wish more people would do it. Takes no time at all and can go a long way.
Sorry mate it was just a blood test that's all.
I wish I could donate beacuse if I could I would.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Falcman, I'm the same. Except I have a phobia of needles. Doctors come near me with one and I'm outta the door in a flash. But I suffer from the same symptoms you do after blood gets taken. I can handle blood, guts and all that jazz pretty well but after blood gets taken it hits me for 6 and I land in the carpark somewhere.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Sorry mate it was just a blood test that's all.
I wish I could donate beacuse if I could I would.
I'm with you, a giant wuss..............
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have had a blood test every month for the last 19yrs. In hospital I often have 3 a day. I still hate them, nurses always think I am weird because I watch them do it. Now canulars on the other hand, I will refuse to allow them to put one in unless they are truly necessary. I have prob had about 1-150 canulars in my life, I have always been afraid of them for some reason, but after my last hospital stay, where stupid doctors often took 3 shots to get it right, one doctor put it in, then walked off forgetting to attatch the drip, there was a nice blood puddle on the floor. So since then I shake and feel ill, when they tell me they want one in and I refuse unless it is a need be situation.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I used to be like this with blood tests and donating but now it doesn't affect me like it used to. I remember in school we could give blood in year 12 with parents permission and one time I went pale white (felt OK though) but my english teacher pulled me up and said have a drink and go and eat something.

Only part I hate now is the needle going in. I turn away from the nurse and concentrate on something else.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As the title says guys.

I think I'm a big sook!

Every time I get blood taken I feel sick, dizzy and want to pass out! Not to mention the panic that sets in after years of dealing with panic attacks.
Well today I thought I did it! I passed without a side effect! Then 2 mins later in the car it hit me!
I don't watch it and I doesn't hurt. I can look at blood and guts ect and it doesn't bother me so why do I feel like that!

How do you go?

I'm the same ....Not scared of spiders or drinking in a pub full of bikies but after having a blood test chances are I'll pass out.

I've been told it's all to do with the breathing and that if you practice shallow breathing before it you'll be fine.

I don't avoid blood tests as I think they are an essential part of monitoring good health, but I do get anxious before them.

For the reasons you mention I can't give blood either and nor can I tolerate stuffy enviroments, crowds or packed trains.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have blood taken every few weeks as my Iron levels are through the roof. (hemochromatosis)
As a result, for me, I have the opposite effect. I feel yuk before I walk in to have it taken and feel 100% better after it is syphoned out!.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant stand the damn things.....absolutely hate them.....the smell is part of the terror and watching the thing enter is not pleasant

however I donate whenever the bus comes around.....the little bit of inconvenience that I go through is nothing compared to where it goes

I watched a little girl getting a transfer one day down in the Adelaide children's hospital....gave me a warm feeling to think that just maybe it was my blood she was getting

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

It's all about the children with you, Poppa Smurf
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I used to zonk out every time I went to the blood bank.
It kept everyone on their toes, but I don't go any more
because of it.

Ed
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst was when I got a blood test, my arm was shacking so bad even after they held it down, the blood stopped half way through the test, could not get it going again.

I got up and the nurse said I was white and all I remember was going all light headed.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Kryton

I get the same thing but usually only when i open my wallet.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Cat 1 medical I did two months ago took 5 attempts to take a sample.
One in the back of each hand & three in the arm.
The one five years prior took 6 attempts, so I think they're getting better.
I don't mind the discomfort from the needle, but if I watch I go jelly knees.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Falcman0o7
Banned

Thanks for all the other replys guys It's nice to know I'm not the only one! LOL
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
cant stand the damn things.....absolutely hate them.....the smell is part of the terror and watching the thing enter is not pleasant

however I donate whenever the bus comes around.....the little bit of inconvenience that I go through is nothing compared to where it goes

I watched a little girl getting a transfer one day down in the Adelaide children's hospital....gave me a warm feeling to think that just maybe it was my blood she was getting
You sound like a good bloke poppa smurf!
I have 4 kids.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Falcman, I'm the same. Except I have a phobia of needles. Doctors come near me with one and I'm outta the door in a flash. But I suffer from the same symptoms you do after blood gets taken. I can handle blood, guts and all that jazz pretty well but after blood gets taken it hits me for 6 and I land in the carpark somewhere.
LOL! Carpark, Yeh that's where I thought I was gunna end up. The misses drove and I just wanted to jump out!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
I have had a blood test every month for the last 19yrs. In hospital I often have 3 a day. I still hate them, nurses always think I am weird because I watch them do it. Now canulars on the other hand, I will refuse to allow them to put one in unless they are truly necessary. I have prob had about 1-150 canulars in my life, I have always been afraid of them for some reason, but after my last hospital stay, where stupid doctors often took 3 shots to get it right, one doctor put it in, then walked off forgetting to attatch the drip, there was a nice blood puddle on the floor. So since then I shake and feel ill, when they tell me they want one in and I refuse unless it is a need be situation.
mate that sux! I don't blame you for getting a bit pis*ed in the end.
1 a month? Gee once every 3 years is good enough for me.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #20
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
I used to zonk out every time I went to the blood bank.
It kept everyone on their toes, but I don't go any more
because of it.

Ed
Zonk out! Not good. I don't get to that point haha.
I need to figure out how to multi QUOTE....
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
unclewal

+1 for having to do it, I have a blood test every 6-8 weeks and have for the past 3 years, only passed out once due to low blood sugar and pressure, but you can tell who the good collectors are and who is new. I also have to give myself an injection once a fortnight, I have to listen to loud music to pump myself up enough to do it. Either way if its for a good cause, roll up your sleeve and do what you can, cause one day you or a member of your family may need it. My blood is so screwed I can't give blood now, but I assure you the guys at the blood bank are better than the muppets at some collection locations. I can also identify with the Canular remark, i had an anesthetization once and the guy doing it collapsed 2 veins in my hand before getting it right and blood all over the show.
unclewal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
unclewal

Just as an alternative ask the doctor to give you the option of a rectal exam instead of taking your blood, guaranteed you will take the blood test every time after one.
unclewal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You sound like a good bloke poppa smurf!
I have 4 kids.

thanks mate....I watched and guided my two boys to grow up into fine upstanding gents and now I get to watch my grandkids, little boy and a little girl, grow up and, thankfully I have a large hand in their upbringing

take them away from me and there isnt a reason on gods green earth why I would want to stay above ground

I'm known as "poppa" to a whole heap of people and kids....not just relations

but this needle thing scares the crap outa me and I'm well over 6' and around 120 kilo's......I'm well known as "the big feller".....but I'll tell you those damn needles still give me the willies.....I can understand the fear.....I've had it for 55 years and it aint going away soon

but we do what we gotta do and theres an end to it......I've seen 3 month old babies having a "comfrie" (spelling) test.....anyone familiar with that would understand why that one brought me to tears, wasn't my child

so I dont mind a little jab and a cuppa with some pretty nurses now and again......but it still is not a pleasant experience and by hell they take a heap......just about sucked me dry last time

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

I donate plasma every month and whole blood every 3 months. Never had an issue.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get one every 11 months and I don't really enjoy it.
I'm calm all te way up until I sit in the chair. Then I start bouncing my foot up and down and start reading everything on the wall or talking to the nurse about random unrelated stuff. Once it's done I normally feel good but I drink a few cups of water anyway.
I watched it, once an it wasn't nice. I'd prefer to just distract myself.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Have to do this every 1 to 2 weeks for the rest of my life..

:(

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #27
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Yep I'm a sook. I hate needless! I end up feeling nauseous.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

The irony couldnt be anymore amazing.

Discovering this thread on the day I give my first blood test in my entire life.

I cried like a little girl (even before it happened). Hyperventilating, shaking, screaming, anyone wouldve thought I was getting my hands chopped off.

I have the worst phobia of needles. I dont care if my life depended on it, im NEVER doing that again.

I dont care about admitting all this. People can think whatever they like.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally don't have a problem with loosing a little clarot, I give blood reguly and so on my wife on the other hand cant watch RPA with out feeling green.

Some people deal with it better than others plain and simple you probably deal with things like reptiles better than I do we all have our triggers

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #30
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't phase me in the slightest, nor does going to the dentist. It's not pleasant but not excruciatingly painful either. If you asked me to walk around the city at night I'd be a nervous wreck though. I actually find pubs more intimidating than a dentist's office