Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #181
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmedley1234 View Post
Gretaest as in most expensive. But unfortunately the GTF was fairly rubbish, outdated in all aspects bar the engine.
A 55k Xr6 Sprint has better handling, comfort, and in-gear acceleration.
FPV has never been better than standard Falcons. They are too similiar and cost too much.
G'day , Where did you come up with that pearl of wisdom!!!!!!!!!....C'mon , For goodness sake...I LOVE my FG XR6..but she ain't no FPV .
She's a long way from an FPV....They're NOT rubbish..All the main stuff in the Sprint XR8 is the same as the GTF..and the interior changes are specific to both cars..

The instrumentation in the GTF is actually more comprehensive. The last Sprints are a great tribute to the marque . The FPV in GT or F6 guise and previous GT's are just special to any Ford enthusiast. I'd love one.

If you want to OVERPAY for a car , go and spend $100,000 or so for a HSV , that's a waste of money in comparison to any FPV...or wait to pay $165,000 for their last one next year (on another thread)..

Watch this great video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ymO35FBZY and still tell us that this car is fairly rubbish and too similar to a standard Falcon...Where have you been ...really..
Cheers Rod...
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #182
Rsmedley1234

Without putting sentimental value into the equation, the GTF is not a great car. The FG chassis was already getting on and was never designed to cope with almost 500hp!
Not to mention interior and lack of any real modern technology.
Would have been awesome to see a new updated FPV range, imagine that tweaked motor in a new chasssis...
Old 24-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #183
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without putting sentimental value into the equation, the GTF is not a great car. The FG chassis was already getting on and was never designed to cope with almost 500hp!
Would have been awesome to see a new updated FPV range, imagine that tweaked motor in a new chasssis...
G'day
As if coming up with a new platform was ever going to happen . Ford had already announced it was closing down and why the 'F' meaning Final is there for FPV as our special vehicle range. The GTF was going to be it for FPV and they did an outstanding job . I totally disagree that it's not a great car and especially dollar for dollar for what they cost . Lot's of development was done , just not so much on the glittery tech stuff.
Re the modern technology.. The real reason people love their FPV GT's and F6's is that they enjoy purely driving them. More gizmos are a secondary and much less important thing. Their enthusiast's cars , not bloody computers on wheels..
I for one believe that the last FPV's were very special cars. I can't believe you can't see that.

Watch this then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noi8mVigVPU .
After you do , read the comments bar , disregard the odd obligatory Holden bogan comment and see what our fellow overseas Ford fans think of FPV..

Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.
8 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #184
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a FGX XR8, which is pretty much a GTF in a different skin with different tune. Agree it is based on FG chassis.

My brother crashed my FGX , in for repairs, he has gone to Melbourne and I am driving his AMG C63 with sports pack and extractors as daily replacement- the version with the 6.2 litre v8 with auto box settings of comfort/sport/manual paddle shifter.

Lets just say I miss my FGX-the AMG is cool but not as cool.

We have taken for granted what Ford/FPV/Prodrive have given out to us in the Miami Supercharged packages with its linear knuckle duster punching directness and that saying comes to mind-familiarity breeds contempt.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 24-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #185
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has your brother gone into hiding?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #186
Rsmedley1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day
As if coming up with a new platform was ever going to happen . Ford had already announced it was closing down and why the 'F' meaning Final is there for FPV as our special vehicle range. The GTF was going to be it for FPV and they did an outstanding job . I totally disagree that it's not a great car and especially dollar for dollar for what they cost . Lot's of development was done , just not so much on the glittery tech stuff.
Re the modern technology.. The real reason people love their FPV GT's and F6's is that they enjoy purely driving them. More gizmos are a secondary and much less important thing. Their enthusiast's cars , not bloody computers on wheels..
I for one believe that the last FPV's were very special cars. I can't believe you can't see that.

Watch this then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noi8mVigVPU .
After you do , read the comments bar , disregard the odd obligatory Holden bogan comment and see what our fellow overseas Ford fans think of FPV..

Cheers Rod..
Gday,
Trust me, I know it wasn't realistic to assume Ford were going to come up with a new platform for a car that dies within 24months.
The GTF wasn't special enough IMO. What it had RSpec suspension, tweaked engine and throttle mapping, and some stripes on the interior and exterior. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it for me, not for a car with that kind of heritage and sentimental value.
Old 24-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #187
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Stop the bickering.

Checkout this limited edition beauty. Didnt think they could make the FG-X look any worse. I was wrong.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 24-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #188
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gday,
Trust me, I know it wasn't realistic to assume Ford were going to come up with a new platform for a car that dies within 24months.
The GTF wasn't special enough IMO. What it had RSpec suspension, tweaked engine and throttle mapping, and some stripes on the interior and exterior. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it for me, not for a car with that kind of heritage and sentimental value.
You make a lot of noise and seem to want to push your view as the only possible view.

Sprint is a great package, without gtf it would likely not have happened. Enjoy the cars for what they are, if you own one, enjoy it because it's special to you, no need to come here and try to tell others that their car is not special.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 24-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #189
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Stop the bickering.

Checkout this limited edition beauty. Didnt think they could make the FG-X look any worse. I was wrong.

The chrome door handles must count for something
Old 25-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #190
Big_Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Stop the bickering.

Is this your new car Arron?
Old 25-09-2016, 03:57 AM   #191
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am watching discovery Turbo and they're talking about collectables. Stock standard and paperwork is key. Personally I'm not prepared to wait 40 years for
my 2014 F6 to increase in value - it may end up being worth squat .....either way I'll be dead, so couldn't give an absolute **** about collectability anyway.
I do care about looks and the FGX is just ordinary next to the FG FPVs.....they have absolutely nothing on the FPVs looks wise front/rear or side view - period.
Each to their own as they say, is what makes the world go round.
Some pics I took the other day of some beautiful machines.

3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #192
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
I dont think you can say the GTF is not a great car, its just that its the same car as a fgx xr8 and r spec, all 3 are just extraordinary with other variations of supercharged miami v8 not far behind.

Gtf is identical mechanicals to fgx xr8, only offers a tweak of the 335 tune and some stickers/stripes. A coat of charcoal on the 335 wheels.

That tune must have been developed along side the 335 tune and it was always ready to go when hsv reply.

So literally the gtf was a set of stripes/stickers. Dont make it a bad car, just that the base car was already so well specced up. If the GTF was released with a base car being the boss290 5.4 then it would be amazing. But the base car already had it all, fgx has it all and cheaper

Again its not a bad car just exact same as a fgx xr8. But $30k more. Some are listed on carsales at over $100k whilst you can pick up a fgx xr8 for $52k brand new. Exact same car.

Thats the point of this thread, xr8 fgx is the best bang for buck car ford ever produced (base xr6t would be close). Buy one, its the best of everything ford have.

Ford gave us a real gift on the way out, the GTF in a more modern dress for $55k driveaway + sync 2

Last edited by SprintFg; 25-09-2016 at 10:05 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #193
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I dont think you can say the GTF is not a great car, its just that its the same car as a fgx xr8 and r spec, all 3 are just extraordinary with other variations of supercharged miami v8 not far behind.

Gtf is identical mechanicals to fgx xr8, only offers a tweak of the 335 tune and some stickers/stripes. A coat of charcoal on the 335 wheels.

That tune must have been developed along side the 335 tune and it was always ready to go when hsv reply.

So literally the gtf was a set of stripes/stickers. Dont make it a bad car, just that the base car was already so well specced up. If the GTF was released with a base car being the boss290 5.4 then it would be amazing. But the base car already had it all, fgx has it all and cheaper

Again its not a bad car just exact same as a fgx xr8. But $30k more. Some are listed on carsales at over $100k whilst you can pick up a fgx xr8 for $52k brand new. Exact same car.

Thats the point of this thread, xr8 fgx is the best bang for buck car ford ever produced (base xr6t would be close). Buy one, its the best of everything ford have.

Ford gave us a real gift on the way out, the GTF in a more modern dress for $55k driveaway + sync 2
Dude
You are doing my head in.
Are you some sort of inside sales rep trawling for sales ?
Good cars sell easily off the lot, great cars sell themselves.
Trying to split differences on paper to justify one v the other shows a lack on insight into what makes an enthusiasts mind tick.
Every single performance model ford have made had a lesser model nipping at its heels, all manufacturers do it.
The cars that went to the skunkworks divisions for extra attention were something special. It's the thought behind the process, the attention to detail and the intent that separates them and in 95% of cases they are a better all round machine to look at and to drive and to collect.
End of the day there are plenty of good cars for collectors from E series to B series to F series.
By definition of the local ford closure means that all of these may be collectible in years to come, how much people will want to pay for them is another matter.
One may pay 100k for a B series COBRA because that's what they want and on same day a GTF may fetch 80k. Collectors write their own rules with each purchase , there is no definitive ONE best collectible.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 25-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #194
ESPJG32

Bluey
I am with you, I wont be here in 40 years either.

The point they are all missing is that you could buy a close to a GT back in the day.....I remember buying an XA Fairmont fully loaded....as close to a GT as you could get because I was young and the insurance was much less because it wasn't a GT and I had a wife who wouldn't have a bar of me having a GT. Thank goodness I saw the light and traded the wife in on a new model.

So you have always been able to buy a car close to a GT, in the days of the XW/XY the phase cars were not visually much different to the ordinary GT....in fact you had to look at the glove box to be sure it was a phase 2 or 3....externally they were basically the same...but you paid more for it.

So what is a fully loaded XA Fairmont worth compared to a GT of the same vintage...probably half the value at best.

Same will apply in another 40 years, The GT-F will command the top price going forward, a sprint is almost there, but it is not actually there, it doesn't matter how close you think it is, it is still not actually at the top of the tree, the GT-F is in that position. Top spec, top price, top performance and whilst ever our bums point the ground that will be the situation.

If you want a full on collectable, the GT-F is the car, if you cant afford one, get what you can and enjoy it.....but if you want the collectable there is only one option. Get used to it an move on.
Old 25-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #195
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Sprint brochure for sale on eBay (states rare if anyone is missing one)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-FGX-...-/262641673140

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 25-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #196
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

What brochure???

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 25-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #197
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post

Thats the point of this thread, xr8 fgx is the best bang for buck car ford ever produced (base xr6t would be close). Buy one, its the best of everything ford

I thought the point of this stupid thread green man was about the most collectable falcon, not the best bang for you buck.

Most collectable is dictated by largest price a falcon will be sold at and the gtho phase 3 is that falcon. End of story.

The fgx is a respectable performance sedan but it will never reach or pass the price a phase 3 will command.
5 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #198
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
I thought the point of this stupid thread green man was about the most collectable falcon, not the best bang for you buck.

Most collectable is dictated by largest price a falcon will be sold at and the gtho phase 3 is that falcon. End of story.

The fgx is a respectable performance sedan but it will never reach or pass the price a phase 3 will command.

The point of the thread is the OP loves their car and wants us all to feel likewise.

The trouble is we all have different favourites and therefore different opinions and not being able to agree is the similar theme every time the 'collectable threads' get rehashed.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 03:48 PM   #199
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
The point of the thread is the OP loves their car and wants us all to feel likewise.

The trouble is we all have different favourites and therefore different opinions and not being able to agree is the similar theme every time the 'collectable threads' get rehashed.

I'd take your redline, gt and c63 over the op's 'sprint' any day. (Has he posted a photo of his 'sprint' yet?)
Old 25-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #200
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzF6 View Post

Rare?
Ring Ford and they will send you one for free.*

Geez some people have some gall....$28 for that!
It's a folded 4 page glossy brochure.

*You may have to suffer through a Focus brochure before they think to send you the right one.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Old 25-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #201
DASTIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzF6 View Post

I was able to get 1 of these from the Ford Dealer but the stupid spare parts salesman had written on a page sitting on top of it and you can see the marks.

About 6 weeks ago when on ford website I ordered 1 and surprised me when a brand new one turned up. I was surprised as 6 months ago I did the same thing and the standard xr6 & xr8 1 was mailed. If you don't have 1 give it a go and you may get lucky!
Old 25-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #202
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well of course it is a little more laggy, it has a bigger turbo!
I own a G6E Turbo and Xr6 Sprint, up to 50 the cars would be fairly even, after 120, G6E left waving bye bye. 80-120 times are 2.5 vs 3.1
On your second sentence I'd expect the Turbo Sprint to often beat the FG/FGX Turbo's to 50 km/h (given their revised suspension and larger tyres) in everyday fairly low grip situations, because of their tyre and suspension changes. But I think it would be a different story in very high grip situations.

Why?
Well as I've said in previous posts, I've read that the Sprint Turbo's are limited to a maximum of 550 Nm in 1st gear whereas apparently the F6's and basic turbo's can get up to their full 19% overboost in 1st.
Additionally the gearing is a few percent higher in the Sprint (different tyre profile) and they are apparently a bit heavier than a basic Turbo Auto.

To get an idea of how fast a stock untuned FG XR6T Auto can get to 50 km/h when there is enough grip to use high stall revs, just look at my stock untuned XR6 T's acceleration data on the first attached file.
Acceleration was measured with identical Racelogic GPS gear that Motor and many others use, and under less than perfect air (but high grip) conditions.

It got to 50 in 1.80 seconds, 60 in 2.20 seconds, and 70 (about 6 k's after the 1/2 change) came up in 2.74 seconds at a distance of 29.11 metres (370.89 metres short of 400 metres).
Also as you will see it got to 100 km/h in 4.53 seconds.

But what's also interesting here is the point that the rolling acceleration after 70 km/h was 5% faster when I ran the car at WSID under pretty good, but not perfect air conditions of 19 degrees, 70% humidity, 92 kg driver, full sized spare , jack, tools and the equivalent of a 60% fuel load.
So with that in mind I think it's interesting to see the 0-100 km/h and 400 metre potential the car should have in high enough grip conditions, ie if I had enough grip at WSID to match the abovementioned 0-70 km/h 2.74 second time and 29.11 metre result.

If you look at the second screenshot you will see that I've used the very accurate Racelogic software to show that there is at least the power potential for the car to get a 12.62 second 400 metre time (2.74 sec + 9.88 sec = 12.62 seconds and that should get it a 12.3 Dragstrip time slip with maximum Drag strip Rollout used and I did actually get a 12.509 timeslip on another run with a lower stall up).

Summary
0-50 km/h...................1.80 sec
0-60...........................2.20 sec
0-70...........................2.74 sec @ 29.11 metres actually achieved.

0-100 potential in........ 4.44 sec using faster 70 km/h up data from WSID.

0-180.39 @ 400 metre potential in 12.62 seconds (29.11 m to 70 +370.89 m)

As well I've shown the cars 80-120 kmh time of 2.70 seconds during the run.

Interestingly you mentioned the time of 3.1 for the basic Turbo's and on my last run of the night I short shifted the car into 3rd, which resulted in an almost identical 3.12 second 80-120 time.

As you will be able to see, even with this 4.2 tenth slower time which might seem significant to some, there was only a 2.38 metres distance difference at the 2.70 second point (76.67 metres covered VS 74.29 metres).
I didn't have enough room on the page to put in the whole slower 80 - 120 time data, but you will be able to confirm the 3.12 sec time by adding the 110 - 120 data at the very bottom.

I've also included a link to another members posts (johnopaul) who got a number of 12.3 second times out of an almost stock FG XR6T Auto (I say almost stock because he apparently fitted an XR8 Snorkel/airbox and K&N filter which I can't see really making a significant difference because there are restrictions after the airbox with the basic Turbo).

Of course whatever the case the Sprint Turbo's are clearly faster at the top end and apparently a big overall improvement over the old cars.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11343068

Last edited by 2242100; 07-02-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 25-09-2016, 08:08 PM   #203
Big_Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post

I see you have an opinion and a crystal ball
No body knows whether the FGX Sprint GTF GT R spec of phase 3 will command the highest price ever as far as collectability goes.
Phase 3 has probably achieved it's highest re sale price already and with all of these other Falcons we will know in another 40 years whether they achieve the same status as collectable or not.
But to say they will never reach or pass the phase 3 you clearly have only a belief and do not know so let the OP state his belief which may or may not be true in 40 years.
All any of us have is an OPINION
Old 25-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #204
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Damo View Post
I see you have an opinion and a crystal ball
No body knows whether the FGX Sprint GTF GT R spec of phase 3 will command the highest price ever as far as collectability goes.
Phase 3 has probably achieved it's highest re sale price already and with all of these other Falcons we will know in another 40 years whether they achieve the same status as collectable or not.
But to say they will never reach or pass the phase 3 you clearly have only a belief and do not know so let the OP state his belief which may or may not be true in 40 years.
All any of us have is an OPINION
There is no post classic Falcon that will be driveable in 40 years Big D. Surely all the electrical veeblefetzers required to keep them going will die long before then???
Old 25-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #205
Big_Damo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
There is no post classic Falcon that will be driveable in 40 years Big D. Surely all the electrical veeblefetzers required to keep them going will die long before then???
Superyob they will all be classic Falcons in the future and there will always be a way to keep them running even it means 100% ethanol tune when the Fossil juice runs out
Old 25-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #206
b2tf
not here much anymore

Now i remember why I don't post here much anymore.
Old 26-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #207
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Now i remember why I don't post here much anymore.
Its really gone down hill in the last 2 years.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

4 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #208
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Pathetic on most counts.....
Just one thing regards to the historians - the chrome bumper ones.
Don't you think that time is near on over, thats to say what the mid 20's of today on won't even care of them for starters but associate with the plastic GT's/F6's/Sprints etcetc....
Just food for thought for all you "experts" of old and I know better.
I grew up the era myself, none of my kids give a toss of the HO and in part to some the "GT" fable whilst at it, and believe me I have have talked and talked about the late '60's '70's being the golden eras but mean jack shi T to them.
Don't under estimate the future plastics (I6T etc) - don't care what they maybe worth but things like the HO may last forever (to a small minority) but most in the future won't give a damn.
Times do change - factory is closing for eg.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
4 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #209
ESPJG32

Your comments are interesting FTE217 and I agree, I have grown up kids putting their hand up for the plastic bumper cars in the will...they are not interested in the chrome bumper cars.

I remember in the early 80's when we started driving new plastic bumper cars and they made our 70's cars seem like trucks - we thought we had the best thing in a V8 XD or XE.....now drive these new generation cars and they make those XD's and XE's seem like trucks and the 70's cars well lets not go there.

I know that Ph 3's will always hold a special place for some of us...but we are all getting older and dropping off the perch - so the number of buyers for those will start to see a shrinking number.

As time goes on, the same will happen for the XD's and XE's and the younger people will want cars that drive well - or at least closer to what they drive as a daily driver....that will play to the more recent cars as time goes on.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #210
DASTIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
Your comments are interesting FTE217 and I agree, I have grown up kids putting their hand up for the plastic bumper cars in the will...they are not interested in the chrome bumper cars.

I remember in the early 80's when we started driving new plastic bumper cars and they made our 70's cars seem like trucks - we thought we had the best thing in a V8 XD or XE.....now drive these new generation cars and they make those XD's and XE's seem like trucks and the 70's cars well lets not go there.

I know that Ph 3's will always hold a special place for some of us...but we are all getting older and dropping off the perch - so the number of buyers for those will start to see a shrinking number.

As time goes on, the same will happen for the XD's and XE's and the younger people will want cars that drive well - or at least closer to what they drive as a daily driver....that will play to the more recent cars as time goes on.
The younger ones will not know how to drive, Google will be doing it for them. There may even be a lane for the human driven cars that we can all hoon on and swerve in front of the other cars to see the passengers brown pants moments! All on a selfie of course....what will that be??
Closed Thread