Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default Melbourne Drivers

ive been in melbourne for the past few days, before coming here i was told that melbourne drivers are very good and they let you in when in peak hour traffic. traffic flows well for a busy city and other stuff to put some sugar coating over the top of it.

i was also told do not speed over here, you will get caught.

driving on the M1 over the western gate bridge there has been roads work and the speed limit was put down to 60k/h not one motorist slowed down except for me. down the road from the western gate bridge where they have hacked up the road surface speed limit has been dropped from 100km/h to 80km/h i either stick in the centre lane or left lane. and i noticed that everyone carried on doing 100km/h.

same with out county way coming into melb on one of the overpasses it measures your speed, mine was dead on 100km/h and i was being overtaken every couple of seconds.

cant wait to get back to adelaide thats for sure, while melb is a great place to visit i am glad i dont live here.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
i was told that melbourne drivers are very good and they let you in when in peak hour traffic. traffic flows well for a busy city

Whose been feeding you with that BS????
Old 05-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

haha my mate who drove over here for his lil brother to play state cricket. he said he had to drive in peak hour and everyone let him in no worries.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
adrianb

I moved to melb from perth about 4 years ago and am still impressed with melb drivers. They might drive a bit quicker but generally people drive courteously and will let you in anywhere (unlike perth) and without alot of rage and tailgaiting (unlike sydney).

I used to do the westgate from yarraville every morning and now do the monash from out scoresby way into the city and don't see too many (don't get me started on the roadworks though!).
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
haha my mate who drove over here for his lil brother to play state cricket. he said he had to drive in peak hour and everyone let him in no worries.
Maybe because he drives a Kenworth 18 wheeler???
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is only one word to describe melbourne roads is rooted and getting worse everyday.if you are not dodging pothole speedhumps(man made and natural bumpy rds)looking out for and then when content withh all that trying to keep an eye on the speedo so we dont have give anymore to useless gumby and co.i have been diving for nearly 20 years and travel all over the state with work and the fun has definatley gone out of driving aroun d melb and there is virtually no such thing as peak and off peak anymore
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
GUTLES
Adam.

The monash is stuffed at the moment, until they finish the road works, I try to avoid it as much as possible, theres all these temp lanes which I find myself drifting into the wrong lane. No one lets you in, most melb drivers are shockers.

Eastlinks a really good road tho.

You should try using our public transport haha

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I actually noticed when I drove to Adelaide last year that drives ALWAYS stuck to the limit, I was like wtf is this? :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
I actually noticed when I drove to Adelaide last year that drives ALWAYS stuck to the limit, I was like wtf is this? :P

So why are they always speeding when they come to Melbourne??
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Teflon Turbo
Banned

you should try some our swine flu, some of the best in the country.

we rule all aspects of australian life bar gay mardigras, sydney can have that claim to fame.

hehehe
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide drivers are speedo watchers, dont watch the road, just make sure your doing 5-10kph under the limit, or you could kill someone or worse..... (get a fine) :wierdo
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Shum

Quote:
same with out county way coming into melb on one of the overpasses it measures your speed, mine was dead on 100km/h and i was being overtaken every couple of seconds.
That's because the limit there is 110kph...
Shum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
cycle myth

I'd have to say after living in Perth, Melbourne, and Sydney that Sydney drivers car courteous and know how to keep traffic moving.

Perth and Melbourne much the same - vindictive stick it up you where they can - Melbourne drivers are probably that little bit better (by skill rather than attitude) because of the extra things to look for Trams, more traffic, hook turns.

Overall - we have nothing on some Europeans - particularly the Germans.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth
I'd have to say after living in Perth, Melbourne, and Sydney that Sydney drivers car courteous and know how to keep traffic moving.

Perth and Melbourne much the same - vindictive stick it up you where they can - Melbourne drivers are probably that little bit better (by skill rather than attitude) because of the extra things to look for Trams, more traffic, hook turns.

Overall - we have nothing on some Europeans - particularly the Germans.

+1. Sydney drivers are switched on. I noticed that drivers seem to obey the keep left unless overtaking rule which works well. Everyone in the right lane goes a little over the speed limit but nothing too insane, only about 10 over the limit.
I agree on the Euro thing too. I like the idea of people immediately switching on their hazards when traffic has come to an unexpected halt. I remember when i was in Germany back in 1998 and i passed (undertake) on the right lane.The driver i passed sped up to me and started shaking his fist at me and going off his banana. My cousin later told me that is a BIG no no. After driving over there for two months and coming back to Melbourne made me realize how undisciplined we all are and why we could never drive legally at the speeds they drive at.
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So why are they always speeding when they come to Melbourne??
Possibly we are a bad influence? haha
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Rooster
Gimme Shelter

Cool

having lived and worked in most states, my 5c;

melbourne - relaxed manner at speed, but reckless with road work speed zones (and then of course, everyone's favourite hook turn).

sydney - on the rev limiter slicing traffic in half to save 0.2 sec of travel whilst using $4.50 tyres and $22.50 fuel

brisbane - too busy watching for one way streets and the cryptic multi light barometer in the city

adelaide - a drag at every set of light, and the ladies are just as bad as the guys

perth - casual as you like, unless you're trying to get to the motorplex to make whooparse wednesday

darwin - madatory 5 sec to find first in the 40 series cruiser before moving off the lights

canberra - .................................. well, no traffic jams, but :
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahhahah that deserves rep points!!!
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #18
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES

Yes Monash = Carpark. I use Eastlink, best FWY out, yes yes, I know, It costs, but to hell with everyones whinging and complaining.
Costs me about $1 per way for 20 minutes less of frustration.
I'd by that for a dollar.

Public transport.....pffftttt! No ....Coment....... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU

Whose been feeding you with that BS????
+1

When it takes you 30 minutes to move 1k @ 6:30am, that's Melbourne anymore.
Well 40k's out from the CBD and it's gridlocked.....WTH!

Give me NY traffic anyday! I can handle that.

Last edited by Spanrz; 05-06-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
That's because the limit there is 110kph...

If it was the Calder, then yeh its 110kph on that part of the road, then drops to 100kph just before the diggers rest servo.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
Tim27

I live in melbourne and i hate driving on our roads because they are full of people who are always in a hurry and insist on tailgating. most drivers don't give a f..k about you or anyone else around them. My g/friend almost got ran over coz this idiot seen her crossing the road and decided to plant his foot.
Maybe i get frustrated coz I'm such a courteous driver yet when I expect some courtesy in return it just doesn't happen. people are f..cked!
Tim27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #21
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
The monash is stuffed at the moment, until they finish the road works, I try to avoid it as much as possible, theres all these temp lanes which I find myself drifting into the wrong lane. No one lets you in, most melb drivers are shockers.

Word on the street is that the Monash will remain an 80 zone from the Westgate to Eastlink after the works are completed - watch frustration and stupidity reign supreme then...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
melbourne - relaxed manner at speed, but reckless with road work speed zones (and then of course, everyone's favourite hook turn).
If there was actually any work going on in them, we probably would slow down. I would drive past the Eastlink roadworks on Princes Hwy and would see 1 guy in 4 actually working. The others were standing around chatting.

The Monash Freeway around Police rd has been under roadworks for the past 5 years. First was Eastlink, then they installed wire rope barriers, then they removed them to add a lane and reinstalled them again. Still waiting for it to be finished.

If they removed, or increased the roadworks limits when the worksite was unmanned, then people would take them more seriously
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Maybe because he drives a Kenworth 18 wheeler???
Not to many of those around, most are 22 wheeler's
Old 27-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #24
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak
Word on the street is that the Monash will remain an 80 zone from the Westgate to Eastlink after the works are completed - watch frustration and stupidity reign supreme then...
nah, Its gone back to 100 outbound from Warrigal rd to around Foster rd as that section is all done.

haha, I noticed it the other night as I was doing 100 up the hill and thought, oh well, guess I'm not speeding any more, 110 here I come
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Not to many of those around, most are 22 wheeler's
or 34
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

The reason is that everyone ignores roadworks speed limits is because they are BS. Theres one part of roadwork I have been driving past for 3 months and NEVER seen anyone working and also the roadworks limits go forever before the actual event so because people are never working or they have the limit miles in advance everyone ignores them now.

Also I think we are the MOST selfish drivers in Aust no-one will move over and feel its there god given right to sit in the right lane 10km BELOW the limit its y biggest bone of contention. Syd seems to be the best.

Personally I think if people actually moved over and let people overtake properly you would alot less ducking and weaving because its the only way you can get past. We see B Doubles ducking and weaving because some 'genius' on their P plates or Toyota sit 10 below in the right lane so the road can't flow, people can't get passed.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #27
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok Melbourne - Here we go!

I took wife to see pink concert thursday night one, drive down princes fwy onto monash or whatever its called now and onto citylink followed to batman ave turned off and dropped her off @ rod laver. Not a single problem traffic was flowing fantastic and was quite an easy drive. So off I went to a picture theater in Sunshine (I think it is?) and caught a movie and scoped out the shop center for a while, I then drive back over the west gate bridge back to batman avenue .. (Bear with me its about to get interesting now) So along I drive when I see a stream of taxis nose to tail outside the arena in other direction and two taxi drivers are out of their cars having what looks to be a chat, it then gets nasty when one of them kicks one of the taxis !! they then had what can only be described as a 12 year old girl hair pulling contest! at this point in time I am laughing my guts out as it was hilariously funny!

I then found a park spot and txt my wife to tell her where I was, traffic was rather light considering that there was a concert etc.. then it went mental cars spewing from the carparks in rod laver onto batman ave, despite this traffic was still good no hothead morons. But traffic was backing up really bad which was strange given its 2 lanes either direction. I found the problem eventually some effing inconsiderate pile of puss PARKED on batman ave, not off to the side in the lane! (in a lexus no doubt) and traffic was choked past this fool but the level of consideration for fellow man from this one pusspile really screwed traffic flow up major out of the arena. Drive home was fine once I got past the inconsiderate pile of puss.

I feel better now I found somewhere to put that

Holden special vehicles - for special people

Last edited by mrbaxr6t; 27-06-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: CaPiTaLs
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #28
AUIIISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
canberra - .................................. well, no traffic jams, but :

Hahaha Ive been in Canberra 5 years and I still shake my head everyday, get used to overtaking in the left lane, people deciding they need to turn right from the left lane at the last minute and if its 2way with no overtaking lane (gunghalin dr, mujura rd) expect some idiot to be sitting 20-30kms below the speed limit. Canberra drivers understand there right of way, no one elses
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post