Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Peej

Default Jet Ski

Hey all, i've done a seach on towing and towing jet ski's so please point me in the right direction if this topic has already been covered before. Just wanting owners opinions on whether the Focus will be ok towing a 480kg (trailer, fuel, ski) up a boat ramp. I know the Focus' unbraked capacity is 650kg its just the whole ramp issue im concerned about. I've asked a couple of other people and they say it should be cool, just wanting some opinions or experiences they have had.

Cheers

Last edited by Peej; 25-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are two schools of thought!!. One says the problem with a front wheel drive car (such as the focus) is the weight goes to the rear wheels when pulling out of a ramp meaning less traction on the front wheels for pulling out. The other says this is an advantage because on ramps with weed etc at the waters edge the drive wheels are clear of all that slippery, smelly stuff and can get grip. The answer may depend more on the particular ramp how steep it is, how rough the surface is for grip and if weed etc regularly sits on the ramp at the water line. Generally speaking the rear wheel drive is better if you are pulling heaps of weight out.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
BlackLS
yum

Agreed, ramp dependant. If you get a bit worried, carry some towing rope/strap and put the front eyelet hook incase it starts to look like Summernats.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
dave_vic_ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
....If you get a bit worried, carry some towing rope/strap and put the front eyelet hook in ....
Spot on.

A rope might also save you dipping the rear of the car in as well. Loop it around the tow bar and the trailer and keep the car nice and dry.

Dave D.
dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post