Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Handbrake success?

I'll be fitting suspension bits next weekend (finally, George) and rear slotted rotors. While I'm at it I'll have a go at adjusting handbrake - mine doesn't work and also does the shhh, shhh, shhh thing.

Does anyone have a formula for a successful handbrake adjustment (au3) which lasts (for more than a couple of weeks)?

(I did a search but I'm interested in results that last for more than a few days)

Thanks...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I'll be fitting suspension bits next weekend (finally, George) and rear slotted rotors. While I'm at it I'll have a go at adjusting handbrake - mine doesn't work and also does the shhh, shhh, shhh thing.

Does anyone have a formula for a successful handbrake adjustment (au3) which lasts (for more than a couple of weeks)?

(I did a search but I'm interested in results that last for more than a few days)

Thanks...
Put a little high temp grease where the brake shoe mounts and contacts the backing plate. Backoff the cable at the handle. Don't adjust the brake shoe too high - you don't want it rubbing or it will wear it down and need adjusting again. Do each side with the other side rotor off so you can get a feel for if its dragging on the shoe or not. After you have backed it off activate the handbrake so it re-centres the brake shoe and check for drag again. Its a fine line between getting it right and not. Hopeless design and don't try handbrake turns or you'll tear the the lot out

Re adjust the cable at the handle. The trick is not to have a low handle or you will get the rubbing sound. Get it so it is holding the car at about 2/3 to 3/4 handle
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the other thing to remember is, when you have adjusted it properly, pull it up just far enough for it to hold, don't yank it up all the time or you will have to readjust it again in no time
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
ronwest

ok, thanks guys. I'll let you know in a month whether it was successful ;)
Old 28-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Engineer
Cookie Monster

Default Fixing the SH SH Sh sound!

Hi All,

I had the annoying sh sh sh sound for 2 years. I was told it could not be fixed. I machined disks and changed the handbrake shoes and also had the handbrake adjusted. It did not fix it.. :(

I then came a cross a post that detailed that to eliminate the noise you need to file a 45 degree chamfer on all the edges of the handbrake shoe. I did this with a file and it worked!! I have done 3,000 kms since this mod and it is all perfect no noise and the handbrake grips great. I adjusted the handbrake so it grips at about 5 clicks from full release. It works very well. I am not sure who posted the fix for the sh shs sh noise but I am eternally grateful to them.

Apparently he was given the tip by some guy at the local Tyrepower. Worked a treat for me and it took only 1 hour to do both sides. While you are at it remove the threaded adjusters for the handbrake shoe and clean and regrease them as they may be sticky (mine were)

Good Luck

Cheers
Engineer
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer
Hi All,

I had the annoying sh sh sh sound for 2 years. I was told it could not be fixed. I machined disks and changed the handbrake shoes and also had the handbrake adjusted. It did not fix it.. :(

I then came a cross a post that detailed that to eliminate the noise you need to file a 45 degree chamfer on all the edges of the handbrake shoe. I did this with a file and it worked!! I have done 3,000 kms since this mod and it is all perfect no noise and the handbrake grips great. I adjusted the handbrake so it grips at about 5 clicks from full release. It works very well. I am not sure who posted the fix for the sh shs sh noise but I am eternally grateful to them.

Apparently he was given the tip by some guy at the local Tyrepower. Worked a treat for me and it took only 1 hour to do both sides. While you are at it remove the threaded adjusters for the handbrake shoe and clean and regrease them as they may be sticky (mine were)

Good Luck

Cheers
Engineer
That was GK - another good tip from the "How to" king.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So do you have to chamfer both sides of the shoe or just the outside?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
Robe

Question

While we are on the subject of handbrakes, in more fortunate times I had a succession of Falcon work cars. With every one and now with my own AU, on a slope after I have put on the handbrake the car always moves downhill a bit.

I guess the car moves until the transmission park pin ("detent"?) engages.

How come the car moves at all?

Bog standard silver BF Wagon, except for the Elvis doll , on gas.

Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance Association
www.VRRDA.com.au

2015 Victorian Rock'n'Roll Dance State Championships
23 May 2015, Furlan Club, Thornbury
Robe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I must be one of the lucky ones ... the handbrake on my ute has worked perfectly for me ... not an issue at all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer
I then came a cross a post that detailed that to eliminate the noise you need to file a 45 degree chamfer on all the edges of the handbrake shoe.
Yes, I remember seeing that.

Ran out of time for handbrake adjustment but will find time over the next couple of weeks

Thanks for the reminder.