Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #151
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusLSHE
but my fuel consumption has increased dramatically since the upgrade. has any one else had this upgrade done recently?
I noticed this after a service, they advised me of a software revision, it fixed the uphill starting problem and stopped it pinging on 95 octane, but it brought my average economy from 7.5 or so to 8.1.

If you sit in your car after you switch it off, every 5 mins I think you can hear the fuel pump whir for about 3 seconds.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #152
CAF
Starter Motor

Month/year build:02/2006
Spec Level:LS LX
KMs at time of fault: 45000
Symtoms: Aircon not working.
Fault: retraAircon Compressor Kaput
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty
Comments: The aircon made a bizarre hissing sound and wopuld not work, took it to the dealer who said that the compressor died, being replaced on Wednesday. Outstanding.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #153
20focus05
I wanna XR5

CAF ours is going in for its second compressor, last one put in 3 months ago and has not ben used much. This time I advised them to replace the whole system as it obviously has contamination with in the system. And if they don't I will see them in 3 months.
I still have a starting problem every couple of days and it pings on 95 ron, its been looked at quite a few times. I just run 98ron

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #154
CAF
Starter Motor

Smile

20focus05 had the compressor changed and no probs since i do agree with the pinging when using 95 so I fill with 98 one week then when gets to half fill with 95, no issues. With luck should get my XR5 this week.
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:23 AM   #155
maximark2601
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRBAGS
I was thinking of buying a 06 Zetec. I read the reviews on the net and all and it seemed to be a decent car, that is until i found this thread i never knew that ford made such low quality cars.
I spoke to my mechanic and he advised that there "crap cars" and not to bother with them. I didnt believe him but now im kind of reluctant to buy one. looks like its the astra for me now.

just to let you know i reaalllllllllly love these cars they look hot but i dont want to be driving to the dealer every week :(

Regards
Upset focus fanatic
Same here, I nearly bought the LT Zetec for $30000 driveaway, still doing price negotiating when I found out about this forrum though...lucky me. However I have to say thay the Focus is much better than the Corolla,Lancer,Impreza,I30 current models in terms of styles and drive handling( I did the test drives on all these models)...shame that the Ford South African factory just cant control their build quality. I have my Camry Altise for 3 yrs now and never have a single problem with it even if it's quite boring to drive. Look like I have to go for the Corolla but wait until they have ESP and traction control. Love the drive and the look of the Focus but $30G is a lot so I wouldn't risk. Thanks everyone for sharing the problems, hope Ford Focus will be built here soon.

Last edited by maximark2601; 29-10-2007 at 03:31 AM.
maximark2601 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #156
20focus05
I wanna XR5

LH front wheel area has a dry ball joint noise when slow speed turning, took to ford and is said to be driveshaft movement. They have a bulletin out about it and requires a loctite compound to glue it in place. It's then not to be driven for at least 6 hrs.
Jeez I would hate to be the guy that replaces the driveshaft when the CV goes.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #157
BlackLS
yum

!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #158
scooby

Glue?
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #159
20focus05
I wanna XR5

yep a loctite compound on the splines of the driveshaft. I quized them about it, and yes they dont want to see it to replace the driveshaft.
I have replaced many driveshafts and it is the first time I have ever heard of this.
Oh and the new replacement A/C compressor did not work so another one had to be got. so after 3 days with out a car the air con still not working very well, only gets to 10C after about 10min when it should get to 4C in about 2min.
O hum O hum it off to Ford I go again.

Old 21-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #160
BlackLS
yum

Month/year build:Nov 05
KMs at time of fault: 98,000 < just made it under warranty!
Symtoms: Aircon not working. Bad whirring noise beforehand
Fault: "Pin hole" in an aircon pipe
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty - will be next week
Comments: Took it to the dealer as pressing the aircon button didn't make "clink sound. And it was bloody hot to drive in a 35 deg day. Just before the aircon stopped it was making a really bad whirring/"grrring" noise. They ended up putting it down to a leak, apparently a system with no refrigerant has no load so no click.

They are replacing an aluminium pipe that needs to be ordered but gassed up the system in the mean time.

Month/year build:Nov 05
KMs at time of fault: 98,000
Symtoms: Grease splatter around the CV boot
Fault: CV Boot split
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty will be next week
Comments: I also mentioned the clunk on accel/decel - I wonder if they will take care of the prob at the same time.

Old 22-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #161
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

About time I posted a fault or 3 on here!

I have my LX in for its 30k service now.

Month/year build: March 2006
Spec Level: LS LX
KMs at time of fault: 30,000
Symtoms: occassional problem when starting car, usually cold

Fault: Software issue?
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty - dealer gave software update

Symtoms: Using above average amounts of brake fluid

Fault: Faulty/missing washer in brake line
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty - fixed under warranty
Comments: I had to top up the fluid and keep and eye on it quite often, and was rather concerning after a while. According to service manager, brake disc/pad wear was not a issue. Didn't think I was THAT rough on brakes!

Symtoms: Noisy door trims when closing doors
Fault: Front lower door clips broken, top of the rear door trim were pulled on causing them to come apart from inner door trim
Fixed? By: Dealer / warranty - Not fixed under warranty, not a faulty part. $100 to repair
Comments: I'm positive the front left door trim was broken by a car audio place that pulled off the trim to get a look at the speakers for replacement (that is yet to be done)...although they only pulled off the driver's side : Not sure about the rear door trims, never anyone in the back of my car! But, the trims were annoying me so I'm happy to get it fixed, even it isn't covered by warranty.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #162
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Got the car back last night - wow, amazing the difference a good service makes Car feels a little smoother.

Also very happy I had the door trim issue sorted, didn't realise they were making so much noise! No more annoying rattles...now to change those noisy tyres _
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #163
20focus05
I wanna XR5

looks like we are up for a new a/c compressor again, getting noisy again. whats this the 5th one lost count. its only 2/3 weeks old.

anyone else have a noisy a/c? ie hear above engine noise on idle and sound like a supercharger on reving lol

Old 17-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #164
lowboy
Starter Motor

WOW..

What a LEMON the focus has turned out to be.

I was going to start looking into buying one today at some local dealers but i think i might now steer clear of them. it's a shame that such a nice car is really so crap and HAS SO MANY problems which are consistent across the board. Why don't ford have a big recall to fix all these big issues such as ECA, A/C compressor and boots leaking etc to save their brand!

It's appauling.
lowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #165
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
looks like we are up for a new a/c compressor again, getting noisy again. whats this the 5th one lost count. its only 2/3 weeks old.

anyone else have a noisy a/c? ie hear above engine noise on idle and sound like a supercharger on reving lol
Mine is a bit noisy, noisest compressor i have heard in a car, noise stays the same though and has been like that since new?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #166
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah there is some noise from the A/C it's normal for the type.

My 06 Zetec has BOTH front hubs gone noisy when turning on close to full lock. Local Ford dealer wants me to book it in soon.

Other than that she's done over 45000Km now and had no other problems at all even tho I drive it hard.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #167
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Would I be right in saying that the majority (not all) of people have problem in the first 0-20,000klms.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #168
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say that your correct. Also saying the car is built in Sth Africa and the quality isn't all up there either. Which is a shame. As someone said in a previous post "such a nice car is really so crap and HAS SO MANY problems which are consistent across the board."

I have had my German made Focus for 4 years. I have had a cat and a fuel sender which were common on my Focus. No problem since that. Except for my clutch which is a wear and tear item.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #169
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Having a 05 LX brought down from Geelong tomorrow to central Vic to look at. My Girlfriend has heart set on it, It has just under 30,000klm, Auto, Zetec rims, tint, balance of new car warranty until late this year and another 3yrs/175,000klm after that if we take it back there for servicing every 6mths/10,000klm. Just under $20,000. Because of what I read here if it didn't have extended warranty probably not worth the risk.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #170
Rhubarb

Don't forget this is the Fault thread, not the "100% perfectly happy owners" thread, so it shouldn't be a surprise to read a lot of faults on it.

Keep them in perspective though. The focus (like all cars) does have little problems here and there, some worse than others, but I don't think its significantly worse than any other car.

Most people here though are generally very happy with the car, particularly once they've got any minor initial problems sorted. I have had my focus 8 months / 15k kms. and had to get a few build issues like trim rubbers replaced, all under warranty, but all and all, am very happy with the car.

If you want that car, I'd be negotiating though - $20k for an 05 LX seems a little expensive. see http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au...s.php?id=58076 and all the other online car sale sites for comparison. There are enough of them around to compare.

Good luck.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #171
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I think her fathers got them down to virtually $19,000, see what happens when I see it in the flesh tomorrow and take it for a drive. Have made a list of some things to look at when we get it away from the salesman, this guy is driving it almost 200klm so we can look at it.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #172
mudwaa

why buy an 05 when you can get a new CL for virtually the same drive away?
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #173
SVTVNM
Guzzler

By CL do you mean current shape?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #174
Rhubarb

CL is the base model of the current shape - Right now there's a run out deal on 07 plate focus (brand new) for $19990 drive away.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...Page&c=DFYPage

The LX is the next spec up in the focus line up so has a few extras like alloy wheels etc. check the ford website for details.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #175
SVTVNM
Guzzler

We looked at that, but this Focus was an LX optioned with the comfort pack, tint and the 17'Zetec alloys. So to replace would be looking at a few thousand more than the run out price and with only 24,000klms on it. with nearly 4yrs warranty.
Old 14-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #176
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want one the golden screwdrivers the dealers have. Mine always goes harder after a service.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #177
trenchtractor
717rwkw per tonne

Month/year build: 2007
Spec Level: LS CL
KMs at time of fault: 3,000ish k's
Symtoms: Strange noise from rear suspension. Sounds like metal on metal when she transitions from the road to our driveway.
Fault: Shock absorber shrouds required alignment (probably with a hammer). Suspension mounts required tensioning (WTF?!?!).
Fixed? By: Carmichael Ford Townsville
Comments: Took 2 goes before they believed there was a problem. I looked at the maintenance slip and saw what they did and doubted they fixed it, but it's not done it since.

Symtoms: Noise from rear wheels like the rear tyres have been flat spotted.
Fault: Rear calipers required cleaning
Comments: This happens, they clean it, 2 weeks later the noise is back. Honestly, I am only in the car a couple of times a month and I doubt it's been fixed. The car was a demo, so I suspect the front tyres were flat spotted slightly and the tyres rotated to the rear. I've not been able to identify the flat spot.

Symtoms: Fails to start when parked up hill.
Fault: NFF
Fixed? By: No one. I only realised tonight that this is an issue. Jane claimed it failed to start at first, but eventually it went.
Comments: It's only done it once in 6 months. Having said that we park the car inside the yard where it's level most of the time.

There are several other smaller issues, like plastic clips that we've had repaired, the matt retainer on the driver side was busted when I picked the car up. Everything we've asked to have repaired has been repaired.

Buying the demo I thought it would be fully shaken down. I checked the car thoroughly during the test drive, but it seems the gremlins got to it over the weekend.

The air con is run constantly up here in tropical north QLD, and we've had no problems.

Overall it's been a pretty good car.

TT rides a yellow 2006 Yamaha FZ1N
Who is trenchtractor?
See my YouTube
See my BikePics

Jane drives a 2006 Ford BF MKI Falcon

trenchtractor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #178
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchtractor
Symtoms: Strange noise from rear suspension. Sounds like metal on metal when she transitions from the road to our driveway.
Fault: Shock absorber shrouds required alignment (probably with a hammer). Suspension mounts required tensioning (WTF?!?!).
Comments: Took 2 goes before they believed there was a problem. I looked at the maintenance slip and saw what they did and doubted they fixed it, but it's not done it since.

Sounds the same as what ive been experiencing. Sorta like a 'metallic hum' noise, noticeable when going slow from road/driveway over speed humps etc

Got the same suspension mount retension spiel. Didnt do it for a few weeks then has returned!
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #179
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchtractor

Symtoms: Fails to start when parked up hill.
Fault: NFF
Fixed? By: No one. I only realised tonight that this is an issue. Jane claimed it failed to start at first, but eventually it went.
Comments: It's only done it once in 6 months. Having said that we park the car inside the yard where it's level most of the time.
This is due to the fuel pickup. I had the car reflashed at about 20,000kms - it took a lot of the pinging away and the fuel pump runs to pressure the lines for a few secs every 5 mins when parked. Seems to take care of the uphill prob.

If any of you guys can't start it though on a hill, turn the ignition on for a few secs, off again, then back on. Do this a couple of times and it should go.

Old 25-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #180
trenchtractor
717rwkw per tonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
If any of you guys can't start it though on a hill, turn the ignition on for a few secs, off again, then back on. Do this a couple of times and it should go.
Used to have to use a similar technique when converting old mechanical fuel pump vehicles to electric fuel pumps... When the car had sat for a while, you'd have to turn on the ignition and let the pump run to take pressure up. Worse in summer, I guess due to vapor point being reached as the car sat in the sun. But that was old early '70s model carb'd cars, not a 2007 model fuel injected...

2 seconds every 5 minutes equates to:

24 seconds an hour
9.6 minutes a day
1.12 hours a week
4.5 hours a month

Best not leave your Focus in long term parking while you jet off on that tour of Europe...

TT rides a yellow 2006 Yamaha FZ1N
Who is trenchtractor?
See my YouTube
See my BikePics

Jane drives a 2006 Ford BF MKI Falcon

trenchtractor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post