Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
toyotaxr8

Default Manual Conversion

I'm planning on converting my au from auto to manual. I'm just wondering is there any way i could use the auto ecu it has now or will i have to change it over to an ecu from a manual car?
Any help would be apprecited

Old 22-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
f6 typhoon

its pretty costly what gearbox are you gonna go i was going to put in a 6 speed in my au but was quoted 8500 drive in drive out so i just bought a typhoon instead
f6 typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

The mapping in the auto is different to the manual.

You will need either a reprogram of your existing ECU or a manual ECU. Dealership staff can do this but they need to be switched on guys to work their way around the initial set up but after that it is easy as.

Doing the conversion it not as simple as bolting in a flywheel, clutch and gearbox. There are alsorts of hidden joy bits.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Done in X easy steps

1- Take photos or current car
2- write up flashy ad on www.carsales.com.au
3- await a buyer
4- use funds from sale to purchase a manual XR8 ute

honestly, would work out cheaper than the conversion. Easier too ;)
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
Done in X easy steps

1- Take photos or current car
2- write up flashy ad on www.carsales.com.au
3- await a buyer
4- use funds from sale to purchase a manual XR8 ute

honestly, would work out cheaper than the conversion. Easier too ;)
My conversion was $2700.

It would have been more for an XR8 with the money I'd have got for my SR. But not too much more.

If you have the dollars, I'd go the manual XR8 option too and gas it.

Having said that, my SR goes great and I really enjoy driving it and that's what it's all about.

All the best with your deliberations!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

IIRC the flash tuner would be able to resolve the ECU issues, might be easier though to just get the lot from a donor car.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I was in the exact same boat as you, and was considering just selling and buying a manual car. It looks like you have already put a lot of time and money into your car to just sell, which is exactly why I went ahead with the conversion.
I still have the original auto ECU in my car, which I just had flash tuned to run the manual. It works a treat, the only thing you may have trouble with is the thermo fans and idle. If your tuner is good enough, they should be able to iron those out for you though, as mine did. Good luck with it mate.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Mate, I was in the exact same boat as you, and was considering just selling and buying a manual car. It looks like you have already put a lot of time and money into your car to just sell, which is exactly why I went ahead with the conversion.
I still have the original auto ECU in my car, which I just had flash tuned to run the manual. It works a treat, the only thing you may have trouble with is the thermo fans and idle. If your tuner is good enough, they should be able to iron those out for you though, as mine did. Good luck with it mate.

Evan
Evan, does your car still sometimes idle at 1,100 rpm when cold?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 23-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

its a fair point that with some cars, auto xr8's being one of them that it MAY be cheaper to sell the current car and get a manual of the same version.
However for most of us its most definately not.

Most manual xr6's still sell around the $10,000 mark maybe a little more and I doubt i'd get much more than $5000 for my car, and then i'd be taking an absolutely massive step backwards in terms of performance for the sake of a manual transmission.

Not to mention the fact that i've already put a good $10,000 into this car excluding the purchase price. I'd be crazy to sell up and buy a XR6. So yeah if anyone does know the in's and out's and has actually put there own coin up and done it i'd too would love to hear, as I for one am sick of advice from people who haven't actually done it and lo and behold the advice turns out wrong.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Hey guy's, good new's for ya's im in the process of converting my Pursuit 250. :

I have the complete conversion, Tremec TR3650, flywheel, clutch crossmember, shifter, loom, speedo transfer box, pedal box, clutch cable,Tail shaft only thing i havent got is Manual ecu, have spoken to Chris blue power and he is confident he can adapt it with flash tune.

i will start the conversion in about 1 weeks time.

Cheers Mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
its a fair point that with some cars, auto xr8's being one of them that it MAY be cheaper to sell the current car and get a manual of the same version.
However for most of us its most definately not.

Most manual xr6's still sell around the $10,000 mark maybe a little more and I doubt i'd get much more than $5000 for my car, and then i'd be taking an absolutely massive step backwards in terms of performance for the sake of a manual transmission.

Not to mention the fact that i've already put a good $10,000 into this car excluding the purchase price. I'd be crazy to sell up and buy a XR6. So yeah if anyone does know the in's and out's and has actually put there own coin up and done it i'd too would love to hear, as I for one am sick of advice from people who haven't actually done it and lo and behold the advice turns out wrong.
I've done it four times and of that twice of them have been my own cars.

It is quite an easy job, I don't know why people moan about it becasue in comparison to some of the other odds and ends I've done it is easy.

My tip (especially after reading about the price GK was quoted for his) is to keep an eye out for a manual example @ Fowles or Pickles.

The last one I paid $1700 for was a major rear ended stat write off with a measly 63000 kays on it..

The process of swapping everything over is not hard, if you want a step by step breakdown I can give it to you, but the only catch is having access to a car scanner to reprogram the key to the manual ECU should you not go down the road of the edit. he rest can be done on jack stands if you can't get a hoist

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
My tip (especially after reading about the price GK was quoted for his) is to keep an eye out for a manual example @ Fowles or Pickles.
I probably should add that my box was new old stock and had never been fitted to an AU before.

But yeah, it was expensive, so if you have the know how to do your own jobs and can source cheap bits, you can save a packet.

I was constantly getting quotes from wreckers for boxes (2nd hand) for $1,200-1,300 and then another $1,000 for fitting. This usually didn't include the computer and other bits like pedal box etc.

In the end, the $2,700 for a brand spanker box, drive in and out started to look pretty good! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Evan, does your car still sometimes idle at 1,100 rpm when cold?

GK
Always mate, but usually only for a minute or so then its back down to 800-odd. I just think that if you already have access to a flash box, it wouldn't make sense to change the computer as well. As I mentioned, at the very start the thermo fans were always on full speed, but after one more run on the dyno they were back to normal. I have had NO problem what so ever with my auto ECU running the car after the conversion, and its been that way for almost a year by now. Despite auto boxes being quicker in a straight line, I still can't go past the stick shift for ultimate fun behind the wheel! :P

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
I still can't go past the stick shift for ultimate fun behind the wheel! :P
Evan
Agree 100%

The sheer enjoyment I get from the manual justifies the cost and time put into doing the conversion.

The 3:7s put the icing on the cake though.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
toyotaxr8

thanks for the replies the reason I'm going to do a manual conversion is because i am removing the 302 wheezer and inserting a 351 wheezer with all the good bits and i don't think the auto will like the extra power/torque and you have more fun in a manual
Old 26-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaxr8
thanks for the replies the reason I'm going to do a manual conversion is because i am removing the 302 wheezer and inserting a 351 wheezer with all the good bits and i don't think the auto will like the extra power/torque and you have more fun in a manual
What manual are you planning on using?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #17
toyotaxr8

mal woods t56