Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
simonr23

Default APS lpg system failure

my au's aftermarket system died last night. i dont know much about lpg systems, but from a bit of googling and general knowledge, i think a solenoid in the engine bay is the part that's fried itself.

car died at the lights (while on gas)and smoke came from under the bonnet, with a burnt electrical smell. i looked under the bonnet and this little device with a few wires was popped and blackened, it's near a larger device(regulator maybe?) up near the brake fluid resorvoir.

my car is an au1 fairlane 6cyl, and the gas system was fitted back in 2001.

am i right in what i think has failed? likely cost of replacement part(s)
car is fine on petrol still.

thanks.

simonr23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Some pictures might help you get an answer, installers can and will mount different components of a kit in various places.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
simonr23

here's a pic. this device is connected to the main copper line. says 'in' at the bottom, where the copper line comes in, and then has a larger port ontop that leads to the big device (mixer, regulator?) it has some writing on it, but i couldn make it out.

can i source and self-replace this item myself. gas is off at the tank, so i assume(dangerous game) that apart from some gas still in the line, not much can leak out.

the main unit there in the pic is an aussie-32. not PS though.

and again, likely $$$ for this part.

thanks.

Old 26-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m not a gas bloke , but i think you can undo the screw at the top of the solenoid and put on another second hand unit on (the part with the copper coil of wire only) no need to undo any gas stuff i don`t think , thats what i would try first anyway if it was mine.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You might get more answers if you get this thread moved to the LPG forums. A few of the people there are quite knowledgeable but don't frequent the AU thread.
Old 26-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes it is the lock off solinord you can buy the coils for these from a gas place.
Sometimes the heat distorts the shaft it is on and stopps the plunger from moving so you might need to get a complete lock off valve.

Ian
Old 26-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
simonr23

thanks guys. i'll post this in the lpg forum too.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

be very carefull with it. when you replace it, turn the gas off at the tap on the tank so that no gas leaks out