Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Agile

Default HDT and Holdens marketing

Holdens marketing has been top shelf for quite a while it seems. Mates HDT Commodore is about to go in for a rotiserie job and along with it is a mountain bike with matching numbers owners manual !!! Build number 6___.
Marketed at the time as "King of the Mountain" Bike ? Anyone remember these?
The Commodore is bloody beautiful bye the way. Original and goes as good as new, if you know what I mean.

Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HDT and Holdens marketing

Bloody beautiful mate.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If its so good why is it going in for a rotisserie job?

Especially if it loses it's originality.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If its so good why is it going in for a rotisserie job?

Especially if it loses it's originality.
This car is mechanically PERFECT, Velour interior, so close to PERFECT, and body is absolutely original. There is minimal day to day stone chips and general wear and tear on the paint with some seam rust evident in some places. Owner has an oppertunity to get everything back to showroom condition by someone who is very switched on with this model of car.
The fella from Melbourne, John, is responsible for rebuilding P Brocks actual race car as I understand it. As far as I understand things, the project is to be documented by the Commodore HDT Club with the build to be viewed on the internet.
Personally, I would be happy with it as it is.
Anyway, do you remember the Bikes from Bathurst?. As far as I can remember, Brock used one to check out the track, maybe as a promo.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Must be John Van Roosmalen, who's done cars for Peter Champion, and is probably the no. 1 HDT restorer, very well respected guy. Anyone else, the car would most likely reduce in value, depending how original it really is. I can imagine there would be rust areas etc that could need attention.

Not sure about the bike with the Mobil signage however, as this sponsor came well after this car.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See this is an area that ford lacks in. Promotional stuff like this pulls people in big time. I personally know that if say a case of alcohol will get me a stubby holder or a hat or something ill pay that. It's promotional advertising at its best.
This bike idea was great and it will be worth a bit one day. Another example of a small detail in cars I thought were a good idea was in the Nissan GTiR pulsar with the hidden umbrella in the door frame. Genius idea and those umbrellas are worth a few dollars now
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Must be John Van Roosmalen, who's done cars for Peter Champion, and is probably the no. 1 HDT restorer, very well respected guy. Anyone else, the car would most likely reduce in value, depending how original it really is. I can imagine there would be rust areas etc that could need attention.

Not sure about the bike with the Mobil signage however, as this sponsor came well after this car.
Nail. Hammer. And you have hit one on the other. Lovely bloke. Mountain bike is genuine.Very clever.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have spoken to JVR a couple of times and he is a very knowledgable and nice fellow. He has done some amazing things in the Brock world with the HDT road cars as far as restorations go and obviously with PC's race cars.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
The Commodore is bloody beautiful bye the way. Original and goes as good as new, if you know what I mean.
so it goes as good as the bike.
you know you have reliable transport when you get a bike with you car
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden have been leaps and bounds over ford in the marketing stakes for a very long time
Every little kid or mid teen kid wears some holden gear, even prams,or push chairs , depending which part you venture from , down to small babies wear
It mite not be sell a shirt you sell a car, but flooding the place with brands certainly triggers the brain
It triggers mine i hate being drowned in all red ...........
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Bourbon Ute

Ford seem to be very hit and miss with their TV commercials. I don't care about some chick wanting to visit her Facebook friends, or about people in bubbles flying around.
If they can't advertise anything substantial, at least make it interesting or funny.
I quite liked the ute ad Holden did last year for the VE. It didn't convey any info, but it was different and interesting.
At least they're not as bad as those Jeep ads, jesus christ, it's hard to believe someone got paid to come up with that.
Bourbon Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Ute View Post
Ford seem to be very hit and miss with their TV commercials. I don't care about some chick wanting to visit her Facebook friends, or about people in bubbles flying around.
If they can't advertise anything substantial, at least make it interesting or funny.
I quite liked the ute ad Holden did last year for the VE. It didn't convey any info, but it was different and interesting.
At least they're not as bad as those Jeep ads, jesus christ, it's hard to believe someone got paid to come up with that.
The EcoBoost ad was also a bit ordinary - with the german sounding Dad. Why didn't anyone bother to mention the power/fuel usage comparisons ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile View Post
This car is mechanically PERFECT, Velour interior, so close to PERFECT, and body is absolutely original. There is minimal day to day stone chips and general wear and tear on the paint with some seam rust evident in some places. Owner has an oppertunity to get everything back to showroom condition by someone who is very switched on with this model of car.
I never understand this.

So what you're saying is the car is carrying it's original paint from the early 80s (and at a glance looks pretty good) it has a few 'daily use' battle scars which is expected in a car that is 30 years old....

And now - it's going to have a paintjob circa 2013 instead of circa 1983?

It is only original 'once' - you can always restore a car, but you can't 'unrestore' it...

Isn't it better to have the original (read: The true meaning or original) provenience - rather than a new paintjob?

I've always been staggered at the following that restored cars have.... As they've lost all their true 'originality'. Sure the car may be genuine, but what on it is what was fitted from the factory?

I'd rather see a car that is a true 'time capsule' than one that's been built back to factory spec recently. Anyone with a bank balance can commission a proper full resto - and I take on board the incredible work and accuracy that goes into a proper full resto.... But it's much harder and more amazing to keep a car in it's original form for a period of time.

So - long and the short - if that was my car.... There would be no way in hell I'd be painting it... It will just look the same as all the other 'restored' VC HDT cars.... But without the resto that car carries it's own unique story and history.... and also a true part of Brock DNA.... (sure - brockie didn't hold the spray gun to paint it - i'm aware of that)

I'm sure I'm the minority... but I wonder what all you guys think ??
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotGT View Post
It is only original 'once' - you can always restore a car, but you can't 'unrestore' it...
I'd agree. I wouldn't pull that car apart.
Old 13-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Agile

Yeah, you make a good point. If it was my car I wouldn't be going as far as the owner is about to do. However, as he says, the previous owner spent big dollars on the engine and trans. Both are a long way from original. Because of this the car could not be considered as " totally original". But there is this very limited opportunity to have John to do his thing with the car, and he will have the car back to "showroom condition". Which is what he wants.

The bike on the other hand is absolutely original, matching no.,with all paperwork !!!
Old 13-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I'm one who also believes an unrestored (but totally immaculate and original) car is of greater value than one that has been restored, having been in that scene in the past, and also have owned a VK brocky until about 5 years ago. But the owner is closer to the car than anyone else who just walks up and looks at it, the owner knows its faults which he would want to fix.

However it sounds (and looks) like its already been molested to some extent, so I think the owner is correct, if he wants to and has an opportunity to get the car back to how it was originally, including attending to the rusted areas and reprotecting, I agree with this.

And having JVR doing the work I know it won't be over restored (unlike many over restored cars with 2 pack etc), he's the guru who I would only let touch my HDT (if I still had one).
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
Chopped
as in chopped

I take it that the bike didn't come with the car (when new), it looks too modern. I wonder what that bike topped out at down conrod ?!
I like the VC brocks (VK GrpA is my fav Brock though)

HSV used to do a goodies kit (may still do). They did golf clubs at one stage.

The beige seat next to it reminds me of the seats you would play arcade machines with. At the local corner shop after school with your mates playing double dragon.
Old 13-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
I take it that the bike didn't come with the car (when new), it looks too modern. I wonder what that bike topped out at down conrod ?!
I like the VC brocks (VK GrpA is my fav Brock though)

HSV used to do a goodies kit (may still do). They did golf clubs at one stage.

The beige seat next to it reminds me of the seats you would play arcade machines with. At the local corner shop after school with your mates playing double dragon.
Correct on the bike. It is in the Mobil era ie VK 1985 Group A to VL. The VC was in the Malboro era ie VB to VK big banger with the 1 - 2 form finish.
The Mobil mountain bikes actually have a build number as well like the HDT road cars.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford had great marketing in the 70's & early 80's
I think their decision to kill off the V8 and go down another path for those years was a blunder

Holden kept producing the V8 and in particluar their special vehicles which gave them the upper hand for many years in that market segment, especially in marketing

I dont think ford has fully recovered from this and has had to fight its way back into the performance car market and is now not only competeing with Holden but other makes that didnt compete so much in this market sector 25 odd years ago

I think the product is great but killing off the performance "bloodline" didnt do them any favours (IMO)
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post