Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default RTA Fees - Load of bull

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to vent:

Purchased a trailer a few weeks ago with rego till Dec this year.

My Saturdays have been taken up by work and other things so I couldnt go to the RTA to do the rego transfer.

I get a chance today - she tells me there will be a late fee of $101 because I was out by 6 days! The rego is only $50 per year... The RTA want to charge me 2 years rego for what??

Then she tells me, I can complain, but I have to pay the fees before I can write away!

So if I leave the trailer rego as it is, when it expires, I can cancel it (no fees apply), get a blue slip (would have needed a pink slip anyway), and pay for a new plate and rego...

What a load of garbage... I can understand why these fees can apply to a MOTOR vehicle... but a trailer... comon...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
hawker

Default Re: RTA Fees - Load of bull

Yeah I had to pay that when I got the Territory Turbo as we were moving at the time and I had to wait for my next pay... Tried some sweet talking, but no cigar, but that's stupid for a trailer.

Hoping a blue slip for a trailer doesn't cost as much as a car though? The saving would only be marginal then.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTA in their usual money grabbing ways again. 6 days isnt much. But unfortunately there isnt much choice. Must be a clamp down on laties. Easy money.
Old 19-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch out for the fines for not transferring ownership. RTA NSW are the WORST kind of beauraucrat you can come across. Been dealing with them for 50 years and it seems to be part of their training as they do not change. If you do not know what beauraucrat means, "a person who adheres rigidly to the rules" They are very like Centerlink staff who you might think are paying benefits out of their own pockets.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker
Yeah I had to pay that when I got the Territory Turbo as we were moving at the time and I had to wait for my next pay... Tried some sweet talking, but no cigar, but that's stupid for a trailer.

Hoping a blue slip for a trailer doesn't cost as much as a car though? The saving would only be marginal then.
When I moved over to NSW it cost me $45 for a blue slip for thew wagon. The bloke spent 45 minutes going over everything before signing off on the car, fair enough I guess. A month later I took my trailer to the same bloke, he walked around it once, rattled the wheels to make sure the bearings were ok and checked the lights. Then he wrote down the trailer vin # and went inside to write up the blue slip for a grand total of 10 minutes including the time I spent waiting for him to get to me. He then charged me $50!!.

Good luck
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that the fine/penalty is excessive however, you get something like 2 weeks to lodge the paperwork at the RTA/RMA whatever they call themselves these days. Surely you could have visited an office during your lunch break or whilst travelling around (if your self employed)...... and, yes, I hate going into their offices too - as it's usually over half an hour wasted at the best of times.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bushbasher, NSW inspections have a set fee. they can't charge 'what they like' (up or down).
Old 19-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not often , but just sometimes i`m glad i live in the nanny state .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Bushbasher, NSW inspections have a set fee. they can't charge 'what they like' (up or down).

If you say so aussie muscle but all I know is that when he gave me the bill and I spat it and asked him how he could justify that sort of money for 10 minutes after charging me $45 for my car he told me it wasn't down to him but was the RTA so I had no choice. right then and there I decided to get the FFFFFF.......... out of that thievin' mongrel state ASAP.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
BAXR8_Ute

When I transferred the ute rego, I saw on the paperwork you had 14 days. Due to work and the closest RTA being 100km away I got there on day 14. The bird says 'you have to pay a late fee'. I said but I have 14 days? She replies 'you have to do it within 14 days, this is day 14, sorry.' bastards, the worst thing is you can't argue with them, gets you absolutely nowhere, may as well go off at a brick wall!
Old 20-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: RTA Fees - Load of bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXR8_Ute
When I transferred the ute rego, I saw on the paperwork you had 14 days. Due to work and the closest RTA being 100km away I got there on day 14. The bird says 'you have to pay a late fee'. I said but I have 14 days? She replies 'you have to do it within 14 days, this is day 14, sorry.' bastards, the worst thing is you can't argue with them, gets you absolutely nowhere, may as well go off at a brick wall!
If you were on day 14 .. then you were within the 14 days. There are 24 hours in each day and your time would not be up until midnite just before day 15.

If you were on day 15 then you would be outside the 14 days. I would have argued with her.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
BAXR8_Ute

I did, and it was like talking to a brick wall. it seems once they have made up their mind no one can change it!!
Old 20-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
glavas

Not trying to start a argument but everyone is aware that they get a late fee if they dont pay there bills so whats the problem??? I work more than 90 hours a week in port hedland and find time to do everything so dont say your to busy!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
I work more than 90 hours a week in port hedland and find time to do everything so dont say your to busy!!!!
how?

i was working up to 80 hours a week, 6am to 3pm, then 4pm to midnight, how did you manage to get anything done working more hours?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

your on the internet guys, so is the rta.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
your on the internet guys, so is the rta.
Yes, didnt even realise you could transfer regos on the internet till the RTA person told me - will save me in the future... I can accept late fees, etc, but when the late fee is 2 years worth of rego - image if you purchased a car, and transfered the rego late, and they said the late fee will be $1000?

I work about an hour away from the nearest RTA, so during weekdays is out of the question...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
stevethepom

ersonally I think that having to rego a trailer /caravan /potable dunny is ridiculous ! when I lived in the UK all you needed to do was get a 3rd plate made up that corresponded with the plates on your car /van /truck and away you went .

So if they can do it in that way in the UK why not here in Aus ?
stevethepom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
hawker

I don't know if she was telling me lies, but the lady said that the late fee is automatically added after 14 days and they cannot remove it (well not at their level), so you're stuck with it.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post