Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Default Ba Gt-p 11.96

A little story for those of you that like to see current model cars run fast down the 1/4 mile.

Gaela has a beautiful BA GT-P that has won a few "show and shine" trophies over the past couple of years but after getting a little bored with the show scene the question was asked "what's it going to take to race this car down the quarter"?

Well my ears pricked up with the thought she must be having me on but no Gaela was deadly serious and then started asking what's the record for this class of car (12.32).

The only condition was that it must be done 100% with no short cuts and if you break it you fix it.......lol

So the plan was set to go after the record and if the car was good enough lets have a crack at the 11 second zone. So I set the car up with standard suspension, slicks and front runners, exhaust off and the seats taken out, all up the car weighed in at 1629kgs + my weight of 107kg the whole combo was 1736kgs.

We had a couple of shakedown runs at the LS1 Nationals on a slippery cold racetrack and cranked out 12.44. Then off to Ballarat for the PFM masters on the 1/8 mile track and running 7.93 @ 89.00 MPH which told me it should run around the 12.0 zone.

So it was off to the AFF drag day test and tune on the friday night, 1st run netted a 12.15 we got the record and then we ran a couple of 12.02's.

The next day at the AFF Nationals i watched a few cars go down the track and thought it looked pretty good out there so it was time to see what this beautiful car can do.

1st run 11.97 @ 118.11 MPH with a 1.69 60 foot time........there it was the 1st GT that is naturally aspirated to run into the 11 second zone, then we backed it up 2 runs later with an 11.96 @ 117.88 MPH run.

That was qualifying out of the way then came the racing side of things, we entered the car in the 12.00 - 12.99 bracket and we ended up taking home the winners trophy with some consistent times all in the low 12's.

The car is a BA GT-P MK2 6 speed manual with only bolt on's and pump gears fitted and a tex clutch with a RIP SHIFTER (the best manual shifter by miles) and 4.10 diff gears.

Racing utes was always fun but running a sedan is a whole different ball game being wary of the weak CV joints etc I just couldn't believe how good this car reacted to everything I threw at it. Launching this thing at 5,500 RPM is a great feeling let me tell you.

Here's some pics....

Cheers Craig

Last edited by Craig; 06-05-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good on you Craig and Galea. If anyone could get those boat anchors into a fire breathing dragon its you..good going mate.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Yeah but it wasn,t street trim waaaaa- ya had slicks on waaawaaaaa - I was the first waaa haaaa waaaa.....................

Top effort mate , just thought i,d beat someone else to saying it ..
Love the car and the story xxx
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done champ. Beautiful car, congrats on the record. Good to see someone going fast in these things with some bolt on's rather than the 'charged route. Nice pics too.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done Craig, tough GT There mate and a manual too gotta luv that.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Well done and congrats Craig

Good write up and better results
Just a question though, is the car totally back together yet, if so how long did it take and what does it drive like now?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Great work Craig, fantastic result again.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice story there mate. That is a ripper 60ft time, shows what a set of slicks and good driving can do. Also, looks like that car launches like an aminal.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
XRCIST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Excellent write up Craig and great driving too!!!!!! That 60fter is really hammering for a manual sedan!!! Gaela must be very proud

1629kg!! That is very light. If you dont mind me asking, how much did the stuff you removed weigh and how much weight do u save by running slicks?

Well done again mate :
XRCIST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Good effort as i know driving a manual FPV BOSS powered car is quite difficult.What type of fuel were you running with this combo craig? Might pay you to strip the rear spoiler off next time aswell pretty sure that is good for a few 1/10's. :
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
Good effort as i know driving a manual FPV BOSS powered car is quite difficult.What type of fuel were you running with this combo craig? Might pay you to strip the rear spoiler off next time aswell pretty sure that is good for a few 1/10's. :
Fuel is BP Ultimate. Spoiler removal - Over my dead body! Wouldn't let him touch door trims etc, spoiler, stereo speakers etc - just seats and spare wheel. Perhaps I should cook smaller meals and no dessert...................................

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Well done and congrats Craig

Good write up and better results
Just a question though, is the car totally back together yet, if so how long did it take and what does it drive like now?
Car is still in Drag mode as we are taking it to Calder this Friday night and then on loan to one of the sponsors as a static display. I am happy to let Craig keep playing with it through the drag season as I have a new car arriving in the next week or two. I was driving it before we removed the seats (running in the diff gears) and nothing else has been done since, that would change the drive - it was great before and I'm sure it will be just as good.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #13
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well done Craig and Gaela. Very impressive, being manual.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

This just proves that there no need to run CAMS in an engine. Might see you guys Friday , Hopefully the planes not late coming in from SYD.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #15
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOSS
This just proves that there no need to run CAMS in an engine. Might see you guys Friday , Hopefully the planes not late coming in from SYD.
Strip yours out you might run quicker who knows unless you try it.I might strip mine out in the next few weeks,i wonder if they will let me race without the 2 back doors off. I have seen a few cars running no headlight assembly i might take the gamble and take both out aswell.
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
.....with a 1.69 60 foot time........Launching this thing at 5,500 RPM is a great feeling let me tell you.
:sm_headba You're off ya guts. Great times mate.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Incredible result. Good to see the power was put to good use with a great driver.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #18
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Guys guys guys the weight and stripping is only a small part of this deal, this car has the package, a tough engine, clutch and shifter, diff gears etc etc etc.

I have worked on many a GT over the last few years and all have a different feel about them. Being a manual makes it all a bit more challenging.

This car is simply outstanding and to think I had this under my nose all this time but never really thought it would see a 1/4 mile racetrack.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
Fuel is BP Ultimate. Spoiler removal - Over my dead body! Wouldn't let him touch door trims etc, spoiler, stereo speakers etc - just seats and spare wheel. Perhaps I should cook smaller meals and no dessert...................................

Cheers
Gaela
Great work. :
107kgs...... I'm sure its not your cooking or dessert. Dare I mention "Krispy Kremes".
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
rodderz

Great steering Craig, thats a ripper time out of a 290 with just basic bolt ons and a bit of weight reduction, pretty standard fare these days.

I remember a few years back when I had my XR8 ute I would run it at Calder, then jump in Aulien's XR8 sedan and the squat it got on launch compared to the leaf sprung ute was awesome, a great feeling on a good launch. Just harder on the CV's!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #21
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Congratulations Craig! Any chance you two coming up to Darwin? The weather is beautiful up here now, and theres a few drag meets coming up!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #22
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this time going onto the timesheets? I'm sure the "boss thread" boys would like to see it
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig

Guys guys guys the weight and stripping is only a small part of this deal, this car has the package, a tough engine, clutch and shifter, diff gears etc etc etc.
I agree with you 100%.

IMO, the record GT time comes from the ripper 60ft. A couple hundred kg's less will not drop a 60ft time 4 tenths. Its all in that package. And again, well done.

And my favourite pic!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Here's another one from Luke at fullboost.com.au....Love the way this car leaves the line.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #25
shanegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
I agree with you 100%.

IMO, the record GT time comes from the ripper 60ft. A couple hundred kg's less will not drop a 60ft time 4 tenths. Its all in that package. And again, well done.

And my favourite pic!

we could all argue that reducing the weight helped or it didnt, but the end of the day its the driver + the car that gets it down the 1/4 and makes a good time, it couldnt of happend to nicer people

Thanks

Shane
shanegh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #26
rns-11z

could you please list your mods done if thats ok??

thanks
h

It was Gossip

Team AMG Cafe menu
Breakfast ///M3
Lunch ///M5
Dinner ///M6
Fruity Desert RS8
rns-11z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #27
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanegh
we could all argue that reducing the weight helped or it didnt, but the end of the day its the driver + the car that gets it down the 1/4 and makes a good time, it couldnt of happend to nicer people

Thanks

Shane
Especially in a manual Shane.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #28
shanegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Especially in a manual Shane.
yep being a manual shows how good the car and the driver are
shanegh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #29
x_phantom_x

Great times, but I'd like to see what it does as an everyday street car, ie exhaust bolted on, seats back on, and on DOT tyres.
x_phantom_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #30
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns-11z
could you please list your mods done if thats ok??

thanks
h
Yeah sure no worries.

Billet Oil Pump Gears
Underdrives
Blue Power Air Box
Blue Power Tune
Di Filippo Exhaust
Textralia Clutch modified by me
Rip Shifter
4.10 Diff Ratio
And about 60 kgs of underbonnet bling......that i'm not allowed to touch