Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Default New Camry Outsells VE, Mistubishi Gone for Good???

Although a good start for the VE, selling 2600 units in just half a month, which works out to be a fairly average month, nothing spectacular or poor.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

Big news is that Camry outsold the VE by 600 units. I think this is BIG news, Toyota are on a roll! With the camry beating the VE, and BF for that matter, and with the 200kw and 9.9L/100km Aurion only months away, Toyota are taking over the Australian market.

Interesting read about mitsubishi too, it could be all over for the Diamond Car company

Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #2
VSSII

If you look at last years sales Toyota was on top nearly all year. I'm pretty sure this is a regular occurance. Fortunately/Unfortunately most new car buyers are more interested in quality and resale over what the two big Australian manufacturers push. Toyota export more Camry's overseas than they sell here. If Toyota decided to manufacture a RWD sedan in Oz I think GM and Ford would be in big trouble! It'll never happen because for Toyota we are a miniscule market, I wish they would just so the V8 Supercars could be just a little more interesting. or maybe Chrysler could have a punt. The Holden/Ford thing has been done to death.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

EDIT: i re-read it again, nevermind my comment

I think the VE held up pretty good seeing as it only came in mid month, and will do better in the next month.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
Toyota are on a roll! With the camry beating the VE, and BF for that matter, and with the 200kw and 9.9L/100km Aurion only months away, Toyota are taking over the Australian market.
Is this a Toyota press release? This will only happen when the nation has a collective frontal lobotomy and there is nobody left with an interest in well-designed cars.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I wish ford would push on about the LPG falc's!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Although a good start for the VE, selling 2600 units in just half a month, which works out to be a fairly average month, nothing spectacular or poor.

Big news is that Camry outsold the VE by 600 units. I think this is BIG news, Toyota are on a roll! With the camry beating the VE, and BF for that matter, and with the 200kw and 9.9L/100km Aurion only months away, Toyota are taking over the Australian market.

Interesting read about mitsubishi too, it could be all over for the Diamond Car company
Holden was selling both VZ and VE Commodores, so until the number of VZs drop as the new model takes over, it's unfair (even to Holden) to say the Camry outsold the VE. The BF outsold the Camry last month, not the other way around.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
I wish ford would push on about the LPG falc's!

yes but the camry driving hippies will all say why dont i buy a camry and convert it to lpg and be ahead of the falc.

then they realise it isnt so simple.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Camry is a piece of ****. Sure, it's reliable but Camry's just plain suck. Full stop. Most boring car ever.

However, Camry will always give the impression of fuel conservation and people who know nothing will say, "I believe everything they say because I'm a twit" and go out and buy a Camry. But they compared the running cost of a 4 cylinder Camry and a 6 cylinder Commodore or Falcon, and found you only saved around 6 dollars a week on the cost of petrol...I can't remember what the price was.

A 4 cylinder Camry I would have thought would rev higher and wear the engine faster, while the BFII's 6 speed transmission will work like a dream. The Commodore (bar the Omega) too will have improved transmission (compared to previous models).

Toyota have a good name for reliability, but those who know anything about car (even idiots like me!) will know that the Camry is the worst mid-large car for interior design and comfort.

The 380 was never going to succeed. The early model Magnas were often dodgy as hell, which has tainted the image. However, I would take a Magna over a Camry anyday. Their resale value is **** however, which is why I would consider one if I was short on funds and looking for a car. It's a good car, but I just don't think there is a viable market for four car manufacturers in Australia given our population is only 20 million, and fleet and private markets only purchase so many cars; especially medium-large cars which are predominantly fleet.

Unfortunate, as I see the Camry as an overrated, uncomfortable piece of ****. I'd take a 380 anytime.

But I'd take a VE over both as it is a more powerful RWD, despite the fact I dislike the look of the base model.

But I'd take a BFII over all, regardless of whether it looks outdated or not. I love it.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Interesting on the Mitsubishi issue. Here in Melton, the Toyota Dealership recently moved into the Mitsubishi dealership. So that's Mitsubishi gone from here. Not that it worries me, I would never have another one. :thebirds:
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Mitsubishi Australia is, unfortunately, stone cold dead.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Reminds me of back when Chrysler Australia were struggling, and Mitsubishi bought there interests in this country. Bad news for all Mitso owners, particularly those who bought new. Values would be affected drastically.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Mitsu Australia (as an importer) is doing just fine, its only the 380 that is doing bad. They even made a loan payment back to Japan based on Lancer and Triton sales.

Really the 380 should have been called Manga- 90% of people dont know what a 380 is and buy those shoz bucket 4 cylinder Camry's.

Mitsu really need to get the ralliart and 4cylinder 380s out there and think of produing RHD Outlander or Lancers for export.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #13
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

lets not forget you can only sell what you can deliver, and it was a pretty tough month for car manfacturing in Australia recently..just about every part supplier suffered some sort of problem..

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Mitsubishi will be top of the sales in a few months I reckon now that they have that well designed and eye pleasing new Triton!

Never before have I seen such an attractive vehicle!

/ end sarcasm.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Mitsubishi just dont seem to be doing any good any Oz do they? I mean, You say hey seen the new Commdore and people say What the VE?...You say hey seen the new Falcon what the BF they say? Hey seen the new Mitsubishi? They say Ha??? Nah aint seen it.. Oh you mean that 380 thing?

No one seems to give 2 shits about Mitsubishi anymore they dont have anything good. They had the supercharged VRX which my mates MX5 beats. 380 which noone gives a rip about. There really going to have to pull something out of there ***.

Mazda have with the new 3 Turbo man i want one..Apparently it kicks the RX8 in the nurrys!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The Camry is a piece of ****. Sure, it's reliable but Camry's just plain suck. Full stop. Most boring car ever.

However, Camry will always give the impression of fuel conservation and people who know nothing will say, "I believe everything they say because I'm a twit" and go out and buy a Camry. But they compared the running cost of a 4 cylinder Camry and a 6 cylinder Commodore or Falcon, and found you only saved around 6 dollars a week on the cost of petrol...I can't remember what the price was.

A 4 cylinder Camry I would have thought would rev higher and wear the engine faster, while the BFII's 6 speed transmission will work like a dream. The Commodore (bar the Omega) too will have improved transmission (compared to previous models).

Toyota have a good name for reliability, but those who know anything about car (even idiots like me!) will know that the Camry is the worst mid-large car for interior design and comfort.

The 380 was never going to succeed. The early model Magnas were often dodgy as hell, which has tainted the image. However, I would take a Magna over a Camry anyday. Their resale value is **** however, which is why I would consider one if I was short on funds and looking for a car. It's a good car, but I just don't think there is a viable market for four car manufacturers in Australia given our population is only 20 million, and fleet and private markets only purchase so many cars; especially medium-large cars which are predominantly fleet.

Unfortunate, as I see the Camry as an overrated, uncomfortable piece of ****. I'd take a 380 anytime.

But I'd take a VE over both as it is a more powerful RWD, despite the fact I dislike the look of the base model.

But I'd take a BFII over all, regardless of whether it looks outdated or not. I love it.
ah : sorry but i dont agree with you since my family got a camry at home honestly i drive the car a fair bit it get more better k's than holden or ford on petrol. The fact that people doesnt really care about confortable in a everyday drive car it shows it could go. Alot of things that holden and ford, Toyota have develop with better fuel economny, so far i know looking at the peugot and reino are basic on the outside but well build on the inside all around. Also they are people who want a car that get them around from A to B without breaking down on the spot ( mostly commodores i see on the roads)
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Amazing the car sells as it's one ugly ugly car. Didn't think they could make it look worse than the previous model, but i was wrong.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Camry has been on sale for about a 2 month before the VE. I seen a new Camry on the road registered about 2 months ago.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #19
monaroCountry

Quote:
Holden (and I think ford) gets more $$$$$$ from the cars they sold. Toyota simply sells more cars. Toyota profit decreased this year compared to last year..........even though they have market leadership .
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Interesting on the Mitsubishi issue. Here in Melton, the Toyota Dealership recently moved into the Mitsubishi dealership. So that's Mitsubishi gone from here. Not that it worries me, I would never have another one. :thebirds:
There are also other issues involved there, can't go into specifics however its a real stew for the owners of the Melton and Werribee dealerships involving Mitsu and Toyota while neighbouring dealers are reaping the rewards with big jump in sales.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #21
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Holden (and I think ford) gets more $$$$$$ from the cars they sold. Toyota simply sells more cars. Toyota profit decreased this year compared to last year..........even though they have market leadership .
I would suggest that some of the Toyota dealers will sell at miniscule margins as they enjoy very healthy rebates back from the factory if they achieve certain sales targets which would also help explain the parent company's low profit versus sales volume, not to mention how Toyota exports and the pricing method they employ.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #22
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
Reminds me of back when Chrysler Australia were struggling, and Mitsubishi bought there interests in this country. Bad news for all Mitso owners, particularly those who bought new. Values would be affected drastically.
I think the Tonsley Park assembly plant must have been built on an old aboriginal burial ground as that place has always been jinxed.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #23
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
well I agree you're an idiot.

how about some specifics about what is wrong with a camry. you seem so eager to bag it.

want to talk about interior design problems? how about the BA's electric seats that cause the seats to be so high taller people like my dad cant fit properly. and how do you work out they arent comfortable?

sure its boring, but one day when you get old you will want a car that gets you somewhere without breaking down or needing constant warranty work.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really do feel sorry for Mitsubishi Australia, and more importantly, the workforce. It really is a nice car to drive, but could have been furthur refined (steering, FWD etc.) But the idiot(s) that designed the exterior of that thing should have been sacked after they released the previous model. They are and were both, "uninspiring" to look at. Great engines and gearboxes, but mismatched interior lighting ( Ford got this right) and huge gaps between the tyres and guards ( need lowering) just contribute. And from all the ones I have driven I haven't heard a single squeak or rattle from the interior. My Ford, and every AU and BA I have driven have been ridiculous in this area, more rattles than in a baby's cot! But I am a fusspot. But the V8 VE, dam'n, I can't believe I may be considering jumping ship to to GMH! (ME THINKS MAY BE GOING CRAZY HERE!) Enough rant for now....
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi Oz didnt design the 380, the exterior was from the Galant in the US and had to work round its design the best they could, which they did a good job. As for the TL Magna, some stupid Frenchie from Renault/Mitsu head office came over and redesigned the TJ as a stopgap, much to disgust of everyone at Mitsubishi Australia.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #26
Maxim

Camry's will sell like hot cakes and Toyota in general will be the bench mark for ALL other manufacturers.

Toyota is huge in the GCC (middle east)

I am a rear wheel drive person at heart but look out holden and ford, Toyota will be number one for many years to come.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

This perception of so called Toyota reliability doesn’t correlate too well with the number of Corollas and Camrys I see coming into the local repair shop with snapped camshaft drive belts and the associated valve train damage. This is a distinct advantage for Falcon and Commodore, that ought to be highlighted.
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #28
VSSII

Quote:

What do you base this on? The fact they sell them by the boat load to the rest of the world? 10 years ago they used to have a 510 litre boot. The Holdens had 470 with the VS and Ford had 450. Thats a lot of groceries. Uninteresting I know but thats what mums and dads look for in a car. And of the 3 marques mentioned they were the safest by far. They never advertise to be in your face but "boring" is subjective. (That means it's your opinion, not everyones). They are honest. They do what they do very well and don't claim to be anything they're not. Like a taxi dressed up as a race car.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #29
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:

Three reasons why the new Camry outsold the new Commodore:

1. The new Camry went on sale a week before the VE Commmodore
2. Toyota was up to full production of the new Camry within three weeks of start of producion.
3. Holden started production of the VE on the 13th July and is only now reaching full production due to numerous problems.

The new Camry will sell very well. But you cannot draw many conclusions from the August sales as it wasn't a full month for either company. Wait for the September figures.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
What do you base this on? The fact they sell them by the boat load to the rest of the world? 10 years ago they used to have a 510 litre boot. The Holdens had 470 with the VS and Ford had 450. Thats a lot of groceries. Uninteresting I know but thats what mums and dads look for in a car. And of the 3 marques mentioned they were the safest by far. They never advertise to be in your face but "boring" is subjective. (That means it's your opinion, not everyones). They are honest. They do what they do very well and don't claim to be anything they're not. Like a taxi dressed up as a race car.
I know what subjective means. I've been to school

But I've been in a Camry...many in fact as well as Falcons and Commodores, and I will say that the Camry was the worst.
Boot space may be comparable, but cabin space is less (which is what I care more about) as well as comfort. The interiors are "plastique bertron" and just plain poo.

Plus FWDs suck.
Plus Camrys are ugly as hell.

But that is my opinion as you said.

I just don't like Camrys.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post