Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #91
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Got told a couple of days ago about a new bloke in town that owns a Citroen DS but I haven't seen it .. When I was at school our headmaster had one . Pretty innovative in their day although I think a rear wheel puncture repair required a bit of extra work to do if memory serves me correctly .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #92
.:4:.
Kicking back

Seen a restored moke today. Havent seen a moke in almost 20 years.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #93
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
saw a shell (that had basically just turned up) at the sand blasters just behind my work yesterday and thought the same thing
have to remember to get a pic and post it here next week

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #94
hayseed

Quote:
They're worth serious Coin Too..

I've got a mate with one that has the Running gear out of a Mini Cooper S In It....

Last edited by hayseed; 07-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #95
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seen one a few months ago with a lift kit and looked to be 4wd
but id hate to be in one 4wd'ing and have a rollover , mind you id hate to be in one at all with a rollover

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 07-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #96
Kicking back

A kid i went to school with had a rusted out moke as a paddock basher. But that thing was roached completely. The moke i saw today looked mint. It was almost comical seeing it because there were 2 rather portly blokes in it. Due to rust, i dont think more then a handful would even exist these days. And they are only 10% of what a car typically is. But still, something you never see.
Funnily, the kid who had the moke paddy basher, his parents refused to let him buy a car he could get into trouble with the fuzz with. So they made him buy a fiat niki. Havent seen an 850r since. Dont even know how his old man even managed to find one, and that was in 2004. But his old man restored old Peugeots, so had some weird contacts. That niki i would consider child abuse. No 17 year old should have to suffer that.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #97
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

back when i was an apprentice (with WAGR) i use to often get a lift with one of my tradies in and outa work
he had two cars and some days we took the moke others we were in his maserati , big change and both were yellow , and yes he was a $15 pom (or what ever they were back then as trade immigrants)

Old 09-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #98
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Holden Gemini

Sorry if already mentioned
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #99
Kicking back

I see more geminis then camiras. My mum had a camira wagon when i was a kid. Bad memories of the boot flying open and the bmx bikes falling into traffic. Actually, my parents also had an isuzu gemini coupe before i existed. But it wasnt cool at the time and they decided 4 doors was more then 2 when my older brother was on the way. That was before the camira existed too, but dad got a work car, a xd wagon, then a mitsubishi L300, but the really old school early 80s one that you dont see anymore at all. But the one with seats. Not like the 09 L300 work van i didnt kill myself in driving it for 6 years. After a long run, i reckon the governing bodies realised the coke can like construction of the mitsubishi vans cottened on.
Dont see any toyota cressidas around these days either, my old man had one of them too in the early 90s. It was pretty nice. Leather, sunroof, wired analogue car phone. It was full 90s decked out.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #100
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Been seeing a few HG HK Holden's lately more so than some later dunnydores, maybe the tin being thicker lasts better.
There is even a honey getting around here in a EH wagon.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #101
chinamonty

Quote:
I see more geminis then camiras. My mum had a camira wagon when i was a kid. Bad memories of the boot flying open and the bmx bikes falling into traffic. Actually, my parents also had an isuzu gemini coupe before i existed. But it wasnt cool at the time and they decided 4 doors was more then 2 when my older brother was on the way. That was before the camira existed too, but dad got a work car, a xd wagon, then a mitsubishi L300, but the really old school early 80s one that you dont see anymore at all. But the one with seats. Not like the 09 L300 work van i didnt kill myself in driving it for 6 years. After a long run, i reckon the governing bodies realised the coke can like construction of the mitsubishi vans cottened on.
Dont see any toyota cressidas around these days either, my old man had one of them too in the early 90s. It was pretty nice. Leather, sunroof, wired analogue car phone. It was full 90s decked out.
haven't seen a Camira except at car shows for years. I occasionally see a Gemini. I used to see an L300 before lockdown but haven't seen it since but that may change now that country and city can visit each other.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 05:30 PM   #102
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Endura ... Too soon??
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #103
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't see much of:

Clean AU or AUII wagons.
B series are getting thin on the ground here in regional coastal Vic, not completely gone though.

XG and XH panelvans. I miss these after the deluge of Transporter/Hiace/iLoad vans that has infested this coastal area.

380s and Magnas.

Mazda 121 bubble car, Toyota Echo, Honda Accord Euro, Any golfs older than current model.

---

Funnily enough, I still see 60, 80, 100 and 200 series Cruisers regularly and troopies of all ages. Camrys too, of the early 2000s thinner model after the widebody (best looker) And also older Range Rovers, there are local survivors from Classic and L322 onward which you would think is impossible as they are supposed to fall apart so thoroughly. Still see older Discos too which is surprising.

Still see the odd EF-EL, and VT-X-Y-Z Commodores. There's a couple of local Kingswoods running around much to my satisfaction, and one fella a couple of towns over still runs an XW.

---

It seems that maybe Adelaide is right and being in 1999 is the best way to be. 20 years has passed but in some ways it feels like nothing much has changed despite all the crazy stuff that has gone on. Can't wait for today's dual cab utes to disappear from the auto landscape...
Old 11-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Don't see much of:

Clean AU or AUII wagons.
B series are getting thin on the ground here in regional coastal Vic, not completely gone though.

XG and XH panelvans. I miss these after the deluge of Transporter/Hiace/iLoad vans that has infested this coastal area.

380s and Magnas.

Mazda 121 bubble car, Toyota Echo, Honda Accord Euro, Any golfs older than current model.

---

Funnily enough, I still see 60, 80, 100 and 200 series Cruisers regularly and troopies of all ages. Camrys too, of the early 2000s thinner model after the widebody (best looker) And also older Range Rovers, there are local survivors from Classic and L322 onward which you would think is impossible as they are supposed to fall apart so thoroughly. Still see older Discos too which is surprising.

Still see the odd EF-EL, and VT-X-Y-Z Commodores. There's a couple of local Kingswoods running around much to my satisfaction, and one fella a couple of towns over still runs an XW.

---

It seems that maybe Adelaide is right and being in 1999 is the best way to be. 20 years has passed but in some ways it feels like nothing much has changed despite all the crazy stuff that has gone on. Can't wait for today's dual cab utes to disappear from the auto landscape...
How good are Thailand Specials, they are always a staple on Dash Cam Australia vids spinning out in wet weather or tipping over in stacks.

Given you always see ye olde 20+ year old Hilux floating around I don't think the Thailand Specials will be gone from our landscape anytime soon.

Out here every man and his dog has a Troop Carrier, come across multiples every day on my commute, or it's just the same two or three blokes lol
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #105
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
How good are Thailand Specials, they are always a staple on Dash Cam Australia vids spinning out in wet weather or tipping over in stacks.
lol
Love the ones who tailgate you out on the flat country roads only to be left well behind once you start into the twisty hilly stuff.

CoG doesn't make Johnny go around corners. POS.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #106
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Don't see much of:

Clean AU or AUII wagons.

380s and Magnas.

---

---

i see quite a lot of good clean AU wagons in my area. There are three AU Fairmont wagons other than mine that I see regularly. You are right about Falcon panelvans - I see few and those i do see are well used tradesman vans. 121s are also scarce as you say but i do see a few older Golfs about but not many. maybe now that lockdown is over we will some of these less seen vehicles out on the road again.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #107
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Datsun 1600s
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #108
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

havent seen a dato 260z in a ehie either come to think of it

Old 11-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #109
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
Endura ... Too soon??
You didn't see many of them at any stage. So i don't think that counts.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #110
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Endura ... Too soon??

A real shame actually for its a good looking SUV imo barring wrong engine.

Count in the Everest - I hardly see one round my areas, once a blue oval moon.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #111
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today I saw a Toyota Seca hatch, early nineties. Looked up a little bit about them and found this (first paragraph) in a 'Unique Cars' article:

"There was an event in October 1989 that couldn't occur in 2012. Wheels magazine compared the locally-built Toyota Corolla SX with a Volkswagen Golf GTI and overwhelmingly handed the verdict to the Toyota."

It's not that uncommon to see this model Seca today.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #112
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/b...k-buyers-guide
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #113
Kicking back

They used to be everywhere, but yeah, havent seen one since my brothers ex mrs had a jap import 1990 sprinter a few years back. That this was slow, but fun. It revved to 8500rpm (redline was 7500rpm), but the 1.6L could take it.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #114
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Watched a red Zd fairlane drive the opposite way this arvo. I know I have one but it’s a couple of years easy since I last saw one on the road.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #115
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if I had my choice of any small car on the market it would be a BMC Mini Cooper S miss seeing those on the road. In my younger years I owned 5 all at one time.
Mini traveller van
Mini ute
Mini Cooper S (genuine) rally car specs
Mini Cooper S dressed up to the balls, best mod was a 2nd battery in the boot, and if some numbnut got in my way a flick of a switch would unleash 4 spotlights and triple tone air horns together
Mini Cooper run around.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #116
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Honda Prelude and Toyota Celica. All models. Used to be everywhere and I was reminded yesterday when one (last Prelude) was parked out front.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #117
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
i see quite a lot of good clean AU wagons in my area. There are three AU Fairmont wagons other than mine that I see regularly. You are right about Falcon panelvans - I see few and those i do see are well used tradesman vans. 121s are also scarce as you say but i do see a few older Golfs about but not many. maybe now that lockdown is over we will some of these less seen vehicles out on the road again.
After writing that, my driving day today saw heaps of BA/BF wagons, so there you go!

AU Fairmont wagon is so nice, love them.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #118
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
if I had my choice of any small car on the market it would be a BMC Mini Cooper S miss seeing those on the road. In my younger years I owned 5 all at one time.
Mini traveller van
Mini ute
Mini Cooper S (genuine) rally car specs
Mini Cooper S dressed up to the balls, best mod was a 2nd battery in the boot, and if some numbnut got in my way a flick of a switch would unleash 4 spotlights and triple tone air horns together
Mini Cooper run around.
My girlfriend and I used to play "punch buggy" and "pinch mini". A mini was a pinch, a mini panelvan was a 'doublepinchmini' and a moke got a grope. A beetle was a 'punchbuggy', a type 3 wagon was a 'doublepunchbuggy' and the fastback Karman Ghia or type 3 fastback was a 'triplepunchbuggy' from memory.
I managed to take a ute on an unfortunate adventure playing this game. We don't see many of any of them today, and if we do, my wife and I look at each other and say "Don't you even f*cken think about it." Twas a stupid game.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #119
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't resist ... Today I had to use the bottom car park at work . I also had the XR6 . In that car park there were about a dozen other vehicles . Guess what ?

My Falcon was the only sedan . Not kidding . One VY Holden ute and the other 11-12 vehicles were SUV's or supercab FWD's...

In this case Cars are continually getting rarer .. When this happened today I instantly thought of this thread .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #120
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any Seat
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post