Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
scoupedy

Angry Quoted $2500 Ends up $3960!!!!!! What do i do

My engine rebuilder has called me saying that my engine is ready, he quoted me $2500 to do the job, he was suppose to call me and check for any extras needed he did this once saying that i needed a new flex plate which was suppose to be ~$150 now he has told me that the total is $3960 and that i added balancing after which is BS as i always wanted it balanced
what do i do about this guy? :jab:

scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
[dave]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did he give you a quote in paper
[dave] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Fair trading, got a written quote as evidence?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
scoupedy

He wouldn't give me a writen quote i have what i gave him (what i wanted done) the rest is verbal contract same as writen contract
Old 20-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Mate I Would Tell Him To Bash It Where The Sun Don't Shine If You Hav'nt Given Him Any Money You Are Not Bound Buy A Contract Then Go And See Another Engine Builder And Get Another One Made At The Price You Want To Pay Sound's Like He's Word Or Hand Shake Aint Worth A Cracker
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
scoupedy

Yeah i would like to Bob its just that he has my matching number 351 with 4ma crank and a whole heap of parts that i supplied (why it was only $2500)
Between pamel beaters and mechanics ive just about had it will never do it again
Old 20-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
scoupedy

what i gave him when he quoted $2500

Comp Ratio ~9.5 :1 high as possible using 95 octane and mild cam

Heads: 4v (3v) Valves fitted
Starlite inserts
Tuffride valves
Clean up
Parts supplied: Valve springs (crow)
Roller rockers (scorpion 1.73)

Parts Needed: Valves
Inserts
Collets Retainers

Block: Clean
Debur
Pressure Test
Balance
Hone/Bore
Clean up conrods
Machine crank (4ma)

Parts supplied Oil pump
Push rods
Cam (stage 1)
Cam Bearings
Lifters
Timing chain
Timing chain cover
Water pump
Welsh plug & cam plugs
Felpro gasket kit
Harmonic balancer
Petrol Pump
Hei Dizzy
780 holly
Engine bolt kit
Head bolt kit
Chrome sump

Parts needed Piston (hypereutectic)
Rings (moly)
Main bearings
Piston pins
Oil pump drive
Old 20-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Has he given you a written breakdown of the costs ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
scoupedy

He says he has that (i have not been over to see yet) but he was suppose to check before racking up another $1300
Old 20-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which state?

In sunny QLD if you have nothing in writing then it is your word against his and he has your engine.

It is a civil matter and you have little hope of winning.

The good news is the he cannot keep the engine as hostage but if you try to stiff him then YOU will be the one in court and liable for all costs.

Rules may be different in other states.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
My engine rebuilder has called me saying that my engine is ready, he quoted me $2500 to do the job, he was suppose to call me and check for any extras needed he did this once saying that i needed a new flex plate which was suppose to be ~$150 now he has told me that the total is $3960 and that i added balancing after which is BS as i always wanted it balanced
what do i do about this guy? :jab:
tell him you will give him the $2,500 +the$150 for the flex plate as this was the price you were originally quoted and if you knew it would cost that much you would not have gone ahead with it.and get your matching bloke out of there immediately.im not sure what this block is matching to but who nows what he might do with that.the fact you dont have a written quote makes it a lot harder on you so take note anybody else considering similiar type of work.you may need to go to a tribunal which is what happened to a mate of mine that was quoted in only a verbal agreement with a panel beater for a job on his car and later the panel betaer told him it was going to cost $3,500 instead of the original $2,000 he was quoted.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

MAYBE YOU NEED TO SEND THE BOY'S AROUND TO PURSAUDE HIM TO KEEP TO HIS WORD SORRY TO HEAR THAT HE HAS ALL YOUR BIT'S AND PIECES .THAT QUOTE SEEM'S TO BE WAY OVER THE TOP CONSIDERING WHAT YOU SUPPLIED AFTER ALL SOUND'S LIKE ALL HE HAS DONE IS ASSEMBLED THE MOTOR FOR YOU
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
scoupedy

The engine is matching number for a XB Coupe dave

He did some machining and supplied the pistons ,rings, main bearings, valves , valve seats, oil pump drive.
he says the extra is for the oil pump drive, balancing (both of which should have been included in original quote) a block off plate for the EGR on intake, new flex plate, ARP conrod bolts, ARP flex plate bolts and other odds and sodds

It is Sunny QLD home of the shonky dealers....as far as i know a verbale contract is as good just prooving it is F@cking hard

Last edited by scoupedy; 20-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just ask him what happened with checking with me about the price if its over what was quoted? ... it could just be that he's been flat out and forgot (i do sometimes)

if he seems hostile then you take it one level, "you were spose to contact me if the price went up...we had an agreement which is why i went ahead with the such and such" ..... then after that if you dont get at least in between the quoted and new price id be threatening with ACCC even further action as he broke a contract

sort it out with the guy first...ACCC and lawyers, etc take alot of your time and alot of stress....talk to the guy but be reasonable...

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A quote is only as good as what's written down on paper IMO. I would have demanded it in writing before proceeding forward with the work.

They could just as easily say that they quoted you correctly and you are trying to screw them.

I would take their word more as an estimate rather than a quote even if it has blown out by a massive amount.

Hope it all works out for you but I can't say it would be easy.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #16
Thunder Kiss

I don't know - I had my 302 Windsor rebuilt a few years ago and I think your $3960 bill sounds fair for what he did.
Granted, he should have checked with you before going over $2500.
The other way to look at it is your car's value is appreciating so much at the moment (as are all Aussie muscle cars) it really doesn't matter. In the long run you're gaining a lot more than you're losing.
Thunder Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #17
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Odd, I imagine that a quote for an engine rebuild should be pretty easy to estimate, provided nothing out of the ordinary needed doing.

Probably the best bet is to get a breakdown of costs and check that the prices for parts a labour are appropriate.

You could suggest that any parts he has supplied should be at cost price as his quote was so far out.

I'd be stating to consider having another engine builder to a dismantle and check....
Old 21-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
kremmen

get the breakdown then maybe meet him halfway.
Old 21-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #19
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

This sucks,
Been there done that.

Although your price has gone up it still sounds pretty good for the parts and the work done.
I would keep working him for the best price posible, Maybe even suggest 50/50.

Good luck......

Kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT