Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Petrol prices, intrest rates and your project

Hey guys jusy wondering how petrol prices, intrest rates and just the general cost of living is having an impact on your projects or race cars abd so on i have been collecting bits for well over 18 months to start building a hot rod its a long term project and if it takes 10 years for me to build so be it but paying of a mortgage and being single doesn't help i've just found that all the bills and food prices are putting a dent in my plans i have to keep putting of buying a chassis and body simply cause there isn't as much to put away at the end of the month

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

before you spend any more money on your project, you should invest in a keyboard that is equipped with a 'full stop' (.) key.

No kids, don't smoke, dont gamble etc etc. Married, have a mortgage.
I'm fortunate that I'm in the position of what my car needs, my car gets. That includes copious quantities of fuel

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 26-04-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: blouse
montyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

its not making it any easier thats for sure, and i dont even have a mortgage yet.

yeah theres less to put aside each month, just means the project takes longer to build, it'll still get built and enjoyed though
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

it is currently affecing me though probably not as dirrectly as you. we are in the process of selling our house and buying a new one. the problem is all these intrest rate hikes are scaring off the buyers.

the missus tells me there is now way in hell i can look into buying my project car till after we have the new house all sewn up....which looks like it could take a while.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqjet
Hey guys jusy wondering how petrol prices, intrest rates and just the general cost of living is having an impact on your projects or race cars abd so on i have been collecting bits for well over 18 months to start building a hot rod its a long term project and if it takes 10 years for me to build so be it but paying of a mortgage and being single doesn't help i've just found that all the bills and food prices are putting a dent in my plans i have to keep putting of buying a chassis and body simply cause there isn't as much to put away at the end of the month
Wait until you you have a wife and 2.3 children, it gets much easier... :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

I was looking at rare earth magnet motors earlier, free power, but the just dont look or sound right.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

No mortgage (renting), Married, 3 kids and we have 2 cars. Only one income. My project is going full steam ahead (in my head). I just need the coin to make it happen !!!
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
I was looking at rare earth magnet motors earlier, free power, but the just dont look or sound right.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
nb_351
building the xe...

quote: Wait until you you have a wife and 2.3 children, it gets much easier
ill second that mate.. got the 2 kids,married, renting a house and paying off the ba, while trying to finish my car, its hard...
but it will be all the more sweeter when its done...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia

am i missing something here or what??

Old 26-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8falconsrule
am i missing something here or what??
no, but clearly he is.

mental stability is my first guess.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't mind the fuel bill or the time it takes to build the car all i'm stating is its getting harder to enjoy your passions more often like going for a cruise when the car is done and it takes longer for me to buy the parts i need and sometimes that means rget go up in price when your ready to buy them but with our dollar this high atm i've been sourcing parts from the u.s. for a decent amount
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

and the prize for todays random and totally irrelevant post goes to- 5.0whiteaughia!

Old 26-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I thought hard about a turbo, but thought im young, got no ropes to tie me down if i don't do it now, i never will. 10 years down the track? Missus, $2.50 l petro,l increasing government party pooping...list goes on..

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Hmm No big commitments here, I drive a (paid off) 4 cylinder as my daily driver, and I still find it tough. My project car will continue to chew up a fair few dollars before it is finished and then I’ll need to buy a tow car and a trailer. I still find it half-tough to do at the moment but I’m determined to do it bit by bit rather than go for easy credit and pay interest on a loan as well, I’ve always hated being in debt. While I dream of stroker cranks, custom fuel injection and forged wheels I know it’s not going to happen on my wage.

How you guys do it with kids, one wage and renting I’ll never know (nor do I ever want to emulate your experience).

P.s. It could be worse you could be divorced, paying legal bills as well as and having to pay child support, etc. I cried because I had no shoes and then I saw a man with no feet, etc, etc.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
MadFairlane

Two wages, Mortgage and 3 v8's dont help, but the cars still get sorted, and I plug away...Albeit alot more slowly

VTEC: All the lag without the turbo, it's like waiting for bad sex.
MadFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
buickman
buickman

I've owned my house for over 10 years and only 1 child at home now 2 wages all cars owned and paying only everyday costs, so it really does not affect me that bad.
But I would hate to be new into the housing market wife at home with childen and large debt.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post