Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: 3-bar or Kinetic?
3-bar 18 13.33%
Kinetic 117 86.67%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default US or UK?

Ok, so now Ford have a universal RWD platform designated, it is time to choose our universal design theme. So, in the US corner we have the 3-bar grille theme. And in the Europe corner we have the Kinetic theme. So? Which one you prefer?...

fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

European design will always outclass American. I vote Kinetic.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i vote for round headlights. anything else is ghey
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Oh dear... The poor yanks

Kinetic all the way!

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ford have a universal platform designated? Since when? Got a link?

The US are getting better, but that focus is unfair since its a patch up job; a very bad one too. There are certainly some yank cars that I would love; unfortunately for them they are running out of cars to "retro"..LOL

Kinetic by a long way, but perhaps getting a different US model might be fairer.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

kinetic is starting to get a bit boring.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well seeing as the Yanks thought the Ford Taurus styling was a good idea I'm going kinetic.

The orion Falcon looks kinetic anyway.

I would like to see unique Tickford treatments again instead of Holden style executive tart up.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK I just had a quick look at http://www.fordvehicles.com/

My god, what a terrible line up, ours is going to kill it. Ford should just make F trucks and mustangs in the US and import/copy everything else.

I dont understand why every Ford is not engineered to be available in every country (LHD and RHD). Ford would save a bundle in the long run, and have good cars everywhere. Obviously a little bit of localization is needed but imagine how good the cars could be if Ford focused on a select amount of vehicles for the world. Seems to work for BMW and Merc.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Didn't I just read somewhere the other day that Kinetic has been given the nod over the US theme.

I vote Kinetic.

Euro for styling & dynamics, US for muscle ;)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Didn't I just read somewhere the other day that Kinetic has been given the nod over the US theme.
Oh? Well i hadn't heard of it yet...
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

I vote Kinetic.

Euro for styling & dynamics, US for muscle ;)
Yeah nicely summed up. Im still in the dark about the global RWD platform, I thought its been all talk so far.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ford have a universal platform designated? Since when? Got a link?
It was in the latest (?) *gulp* WHEELS magazine (Skyline GT-R cover) that Ford has chosen it's universal RWD system to cut costs and time for each region to make their own. BTW FoA had a LOT of say in it!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Here's the headline. Anyone a subscriber that can access the whole story?
http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/ar/...rd_global_rwd/

Ford Design Boss Confirms Plans for Global RWD Platform
By Peter Robinson
WardsAuto.com, Oct 29, 2007 9:14 AM

Sources indicate the basic engineering work will be a joint effort between Ford Dearborn and Ford Australia’s recently expanded engineering operations under Trevor Worthington....
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Google found it ;)

Quote:
Ford Design Boss Confirms Plans for Global RWD Platform
By Peter Robinson
WardsAuto.com, Oct 29, 2007 9:14 AM

SYDNEY – Ford Motor Co. design boss J Mays confirms the Blue Oval is developing an all-new, rear-wheel-drive architecture for the U.S. and Australia.
“Clearly, we have to develop one rear-drive platform for the world,” Mays says in a recent interview here. “Ford and Lincoln will take cars off it and, of course, (so will) Ford (in) Australia.”

Ford’s modified RWD platform underpins Jaguar’s new XF.
Mays refers to the new strategy as Ford’s Global Rear-Wheel-Drive Platform. His verification also comes from supplier groups that have been informed of the new architecture’s name.
The strikingly unoriginal name is identical to GM Holden Ltd.’s term for the VE Commodore architecture that serves as the basis for a number of General Motors Corp. models currently under development in Australia and the U.S. to mostly be manufactured in North America. The New Pontiac G8 will from Australia, at least initially.
Mays says it’s too early to define who will take the lead engineering role in developing the new platform.
“We are not sure where the architecture will be done yet,” he says. “But Detroit will oversee it. We may do it the opposite of GM. Our strategy is to design cars where they are engineered. That hasn’t changed.”
Related Stories
Ford to Build European Focus in Australia
Ford Australia to Shutter Engine Plant; Import V-6 From U.S.
Ford CEO Says Commonality Key

Sources indicate the basic engineering work will be a joint effort between Ford’s Dearborn engineering group and Australia’s recently expanded Broadmeadows and Geelong operations under Trevor Worthington.
However, Mays says Ford Motor Co. of Australia Ltd. will have sole responsibility for styling the next-generation Falcon due in four to five years. Although the engineering strategy has to pass through a number of Ford’s financial gateways before it is officially approved, insiders claim it is inevitable.
Under new CEO Alan Mulally, Ford has created a single global-product development organization headed by engineering chief Derrick Kuzak.
The idea is to rationalize both the number of platforms and engines on a global basis. Ford Australia’s inline 6-cyl. is one casualty in a plan to reduce the number of sixes from today’s eight engines to just two over the next five years.
Currently, Ford has three RWD platforms: the Falcon/Territory; Mustang; and ancient Panther (Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car).
A combined effort would see the first of the new RWD models launched in the U.S. probably in 2011, with the all-new Falcon due in 2012, at the earliest.
Ford’s last new RWD platform, DEW98, underpinned the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird but has been discarded for America, though a modified version forms the basis for Jaguar’s new XF.
Mulally also wants Ford products to share one global look. Currently, the products coming out of Ford’s North American design team under Peter Horbury, and its European studios lead by Martin Smith, are heading in disparate directions.
The Ford brand in the U.S. recently adopted a 3-bar chrome grille theme shared by the Fusion and Taurus. The European cars, including the Mondeo, facelifted Focus and next-year’s new Fiesta, use “kinetic design.”
By insisting a single Ford design theme be developed, Mulally is pitting the two studios’ themes to a yet-to-be-decided rivalry.
Scott Strong, the American who heads Ford Australia’s design studio, reports directly to Martin Smith in Europe, which is somewhat odd given the Falcon’s RWD layout.
Under Smith’s advocacy of the more complex and dart-like kinetic design, a look that includes the redesigned ’08 Falcon, it seems an evolution of this theme will be adopted for the future-generation Falcon, but nothing has yet been developed.
“It’s normal to let the dust settle (after launching a new model) before starting a new project,” says Smith, who along with Mulally and Kuzak, has visited Australia this year. “The Australians are finishing off the T6 (the new Ranger commercials) and are very busy.”
Ford Australia also plans to start building 40,000 European-designed 4-cyl. Focus cars annually at its Melbourne assembly plant beginning in 2011.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone count three bars on the grille? I can only see two.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
Paxton
Cobblers!

Kinetic.

There is not one Ford in the USA that I would consider buying. None. They are all hideous. The poor Focus. It doesn't stand a chance. OTOH, I would happily have a Kinetic Focus.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It should be Kinetic, but I'm sure Dearborn will force the US 3 Bar theme onto everyone.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The yanks must really struggle with designing a car when it isn't going to be a SUV or retro muscle car.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #19
nobbystang

I think it really depends on the style of car to begin with, the 3 bar look sreally good on the Edge and a couple of other bigger cars, but shite on the smaller ones

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
I think it really depends on the style of car to begin with, the 3 bar look sreally good on the Edge and a couple of other bigger cars, but shite on the smaller ones
I might have to agree with you there! The Edge looks a bit of alright, but the Focus... :
Old 12-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally like the Mondeo/Kinetic look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMT
European design will always outclass American. I vote Kinetic.
Well I quite like Mustang Cobra's design.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

I deffinately would take the Kenetic grill.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
buickman
buickman

Kinetic front but that dog ugly rear end on the Euro Focus lets the car down.
The current Corolla and Mazda 3 sales says it all.
But the new Orion with the Kinetic front should be a winner for Fords large car sales.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #24
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I can see the American design evolve into an 'Americanized' Kinetic theme. However, will we end up with 'bits-er' cars, Kinetic bodies with 3 bar grilles slapped on them?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #25
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

To me the 3-bar grill is just paying homage to the Gillette Razor, the current U.S range looks like dull (excluding the Mustang).

As a design language, the Kinetic theme is much more broad in the overall design of a car compared to their American counter-parts.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think I read somewhere that the Global design chief will stay based in London, not Detroit. Not a bad idea IMHO

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25738C00821D66

Quote:
Ford design redesign

Kinetic: Mondeo's new-found style will spread across the FoMoCo world.

Ford design boss confirms global new style language and probably Jaguar, LR sale

9 November 2007
goauto - mellor

THE Ford Motor Co’s global design chief J Mays will reorganise the company’s styling departments as the Ford brand shifts to a single design language across the world – as seen on the just-launched Mondeo and the forthcoming 2008 Falcon.

A report in industry journal Automotive News this week quoted Mr Mays as saying that “everyone’s focus will be slightly shifted” but he refused to divulge details. He also said that the probable sale of Ford’s luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover (and possibly Volvo, too) will change his focus.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #27
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too am one for the Kinetic design, it is a design that can age better than the 3 bar design of the US. It is also seems to be a lot more flexible, i.e looks good on small cars and SUV's.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #28
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

the kinetic could be used for 10 years and not look aged i rekon, the three bar looked outdated the day it premiered! lol
Old 14-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTonka
Think I read somewhere that the Global design chief will stay based in London, not Detroit. Not a bad idea IMHO

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25738C00821D66
Has J Mays literally said Kinetic styling will Fords global look? Most articles just say one look will be adopted (this is the first Ive read to say styling featured on the Mondeo and Falcon)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #30
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Has J Mays literally said Kinetic styling will Fords global look? Most articles just say one look will be adopted (this is the first Ive read to say styling featured on the Mondeo and Falcon)
Found further to this today

Quote:
AUTOBLOG (ex Automotive News Europe)
Mays: Ford's single global design language will debut in six years
Posted Nov 12th 2007 7:05PM by John Neff
Filed under: Euro, Ford

It's been no secret that part of Ford's turnaround plan (or we calling it Bold Moves anymore?) is to reunite its North American and European operations with more platform sharing and a common design language. With product life cycles being as long as they are in this industry, none of that will happen overnight. In fact, J Mays, Ford's group vice president of design and chief creative officer, told Automotive News that a single uniting global design language for both sides of the pond will be ready in about six years.

The main stumbling block is that Ford vehicles in North American and those sold in Europe have successfully established their own recognizable and well-liked design themes. It's called "Kinetic design" in Europe where the best example can be found in the new Mondeo, and "Bold American" in the U.S. where it manifests itself in the form of the three-bar chrome grille.

We've heard from inside sources that there's also a clash of personalities involved here between Ford of Europe's chief designer, Martin Smith, and Peter Horbury who heads up design for Ford in the U.S. Establishing a single visual language for Fords sold on both sides of the pond hinges on these two working together, which we've heard is progressing albeit slowly. Mays tells AN, "I'm so pleased with the professional approach that Peter Horbury and Martin [Smith] have taken on driving us to the right answer," but we assume he has to say that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Now that Aston Martin is gone and Jaguar and Land Rover are on their way out, Mays has time once again to delve deeper into the designs of each brand over which he has dominion. Hopefully the hands on approach will keep Martin and Horbury motivated with the end result being some fantastic Ford designs in a half dozen years.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post