Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default heads Up WA

Just a heads up for people in Perth, the idiots who run this state have now started sticking Red light cameras at Train crossings!! ???.

Don't ask me how that's meant to work as i always thought that's why there were Boom gates at crossings. Also you don't get any warning like at intersections, the Lights just start flashing Red, I guess they just expect motorists to Lock there brakes up a 60km/h who knows.

Old 15-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
feebs
BrwnBstd

Poeple cross to the RHS of the road to cross the tracks.

Apparently it is happening quite a bit, so I am not against the idea.

Would rather that that have cops hiding behind unused earthmoving equipment on days when no roadworks in being undertaken!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what set's it off, cause I was driving along about 1 hour ago, and as I got to the crossing the light's started flashing, as i didn't feel i could sensibly come to a stop from 60km/h i continued thou, the Boom gates had NOT even started to come down by the time i had passed thou, I spotted the camera and thought WTF is that meant to be, then spotted the sign on the other side of the road.

If I get a fine for this I will be fighting it.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
feebs
BrwnBstd

I would say crossing over once the boomgates have started dropping.. but that's a bit of a guess.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

red light camera's are full of crap...

i was driving at 5:30am, raining, and down hill. came up to lights that were green. as soon as i got to the line they changed to amber. of course i'm not going to stop in 10metres, especially in the conditions. so what happens? i go through and two flashes. havent received anything in the mail but i will contest anything that does rock up
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
SlikedTurb

alot of people don't realise it, but the lights stay red well after the gates have come back up. you should see the abuse that gets thrown at you if you wait for the lights to stop.

i'm all for it.
Old 15-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
gazza750
token import owner

i think it will be to get people who start going over once boom is raised and lights are still flashing .
too many people take off b4 the lights have stopped flashing
gazza750 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Eaglexr

What is the problem?
These cameras are placed strategically for a variety of reasons.
You have to consider the remote nature of the cameras position,the police cannot always be present and this will give them some sort of idea as to what lead up to an incident should it occur.
Eaglexr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find these are cameras set to catch people going around the gates or running the flashing lights as the booms are coming down or going up.
I don't think they're like red light cameras that get activated when you cross the white line when it's red. Haven't actually seen one yet but hard to say. Where was it Green X, I'd like to check it out, could it be a video type camera?

Here in WA, not sure about other states, the bells and red lights start flashing for several seconds before the booms starts to come down, about the same time thats set for an amber light, so theoretically you should have time to stop.

The reason the bells & lights keep going after the boom has gone up is just to make sure another train coming the other way doesn't trip the signals and suddenly start lowering without notice.

Anyone who drives around boom gates is effen stupid and deserves to get caught.
Old 15-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kelven road (I think it is) in Thorny.

My feeling is if you are dumb enough to drive around boom gates and take on a 90odd tone of Loco you deserve to be killed.
Old 15-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by castek

i was driving at 5:30am, raining, and down hill. came up to lights that were green. as soon as i got to the line they changed to amber. of course i'm not going to stop in 10metres, especially in the conditions. so what happens? i go through and two flashes. havent received anything in the mail but i will contest anything that does rock up
You were 10 meters away from the line, doing 60kph when the light went yellow and it took photos? At that speed, and being that close to the intersection, you're car should have been well past the camera before the light turned red so i wouldn't worry too much.

I can see the point of arguing about speed cameras but red light cameras are black and white to me. If the conditions are so bad that you can't stop or get through before they turn red, then you're going too fast for the conditions.

As for cameras on railway crossings... A fellow workmate once snapped the aerial off my toyota echo (work car) on a boom gate, so if it stops idiots like that then i'm not going to whinge about them.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

I work as a paramedic in W.A. so here is my two cents worth. I recently went to a geeza slammed by a train. The patients head contents (his brain) was over about 6 square metres. A kidney here, a foot there...you get the picture. It was very messy indeed. In WA the boom gate only comes down one side of the road which is stupid. Other states have them come down over both carraige ways. These silly Pr!cks that break the law for what ever reason need the book thrown at them, its people like me that have to go and see if there is any survivor.
People cross over to the other side because " I thought it was broken and staying down". :
IMO back up and go find another crossing if you think its stuck down.
Silly people need to be finned into non existance...
NGN 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngn351
Silly people need to be finned into non existance...
bingo. who actually runs out infront of a train? as for driving around the gates, wtf! how long is the wait, 1 minute?
Old 16-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castek

How fast were you going? Might have been one of those dual purpose cameras which pinged you for speeding rather than running the red light as the lights were still yellow when you went through.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

They are starting to put traffic lights at train crossing with Boom Gates in Victoria as F'n STUPID ppl dont know they should stay stopped until the flashing red light turn off, not plant the foot when the boom gates are up. you have to wait till the lights stop flashing.

People still run the red traffic light as they are STUPID :

Love Red Light Camera's at train intersections - its only the stupid ppl who dont know the road rules that get pinged............ :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
3vXT

Forget cameras, what the government should do is put high speed trains at all intersections to take care of the people running red lights
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #17
P100 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Just a heads up for people in Perth, the idiots who run this state have now started sticking Red light cameras at Train crossings!! ???.
Theyres one @ maddington train crossing across from Maccas.
one of the locals there recons it videotapes also..

i didnt even notice it till it was pointed out to me as i rarely go neer maddo

also spotted a WRX Cop car... full signage and lights... only spotted him coz he chased a Bike who did a wheelie off @ the lights.

that was only a week ago.
hopefully it saves lives.

Tim.
P100 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #18
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
They are starting to put traffic lights at train crossing with Boom Gates in Victoria as F'n STUPID ppl dont know they should stay stopped until the flashing red light turn off, not plant the foot when the boom gates are up. you have to wait till the lights stop flashing.

Love Red Light Camera's at train intersections - its only the stupid ppl who dont know the road rules that get pinged............ :
I don't think people are stupid, but they are frustrated with all the crap in this world and trying to survive day-to-day, increased traffic because of reduced speed limits and speed camera's everywhere and so on and so forth...

This is what makes people act irrationally, this is why people have no patience on the roads today and this attitude ultimately leads to accidents.

Our Govt's are basically owned by gangsters who have no interest in our public safety, that's why the road toll will never go down...sad but true.

But people can only take so much tyranny, before they realise the game and something snaps...that's when we'll wish we still had our guns!!

I'm all for saving lives but it's a very complex issue...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza750
i think it will be to get people who start going over once boom is raised and lights are still flashing .
too many people take off b4 the lights have stopped flashing
If that is the case then this is clearly a case for revenue raising over safety. The cost of putting a camera up would be greater than the cost of adjusting the timing so that the boom gates do not come up until the lights stop flashing. But that would not generate any revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee

Here in WA, not sure about other states, the bells and red lights start flashing for several seconds before the booms starts to come down, about the same time thats set for an amber light, so theoretically you should have time to stop.
Excactly. and theoricaly if you do not stop it should be the same as a going through an amber light. No camera infringement. At least in NSW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
The reason the bells & lights keep going after the boom has gone up is just to make sure another train coming the other way doesn't trip the signals and suddenly start lowering without notice.
Easily fixed by adjusting the timing of the signals. But as stated above that would not generate any revenue.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #20
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
bingo. who actually runs out infront of a train? as for driving around the gates, wtf! how long is the wait, 1 minute?
If the Ppl who do this are not prepared to wate the 1 minute for the train to go by, and like i say are willing to take a chance with a 90ton loco moving at 70+km/h than a fine is hardly going to get there brain working correctly.
Old 17-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #21
octanebfgt2

I can vouch for the fact that the cops don't care whether the boom gates have started moving or not. The lights just starting flashing as I was crossing a rail crossing and a cop waiting a set of lights nearby chased me and pinged me 4 pts and a few hundred dollars.

I explained there is no way I could have stopped and he said it is irrelevant and proceeded to explain that I did not have to pay the fine and could go to court if I felt strongly enough.

He was a complete Ar$eH0le. He was so stupid he wrote my Octane BF GT up as a Holden Commodore on the ticket.
octanebfgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanebfgt2
He was so stupid he wrote my Octane BF GT up as a Holden Commodore on the ticket.
Now there's an angle to go to court with

I used to laugh at the signs in Vic years ago (could be still there) which said 'GIVE WAY TO TRAINS'.. like... your going to argue?
Old 17-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #23
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

theres a few in the cannington area now, at the Welshpool Rd crossing is the main one i come accross
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #24
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

They're at Welshpool Road and Kelvin Road on a trial basis. Believe me, approaching Welshpool Road from Queens Park sitting on track speed (100km/h) and watching people trying to beat the booms gets my pulse racing at least once a day... especially fuel tankers! A single railcar at 94 odd tonnes doesn't pull up that quickly. To be honest with you, pedestrians are much worse, but it's easier to get them fined if they board the service.

Cheers
Old 18-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
SlikedTurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI

couldn't said it better. SPOT ON!!!
Old 18-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #26
SlikedTurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
I don't think people are stupid, but they are frustrated with all the crap in this world and trying to survive day-to-day, increased traffic because of reduced speed limits and speed camera's everywhere and so on and so forth...

This is what makes people act irrationally, this is why people have no patience on the roads today and this attitude ultimately leads to accidents.

Our Govt's are basically owned by gangsters who have no interest in our public safety, that's why the road toll will never go down...sad but true.

But people can only take so much tyranny, before they realise the game and something snaps...that's when we'll wish we still had our guns!!

I'm all for saving lives but it's a very complex issue...

that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard.
Old 18-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #27
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Now there's an angle to go to court with

I used to laugh at the signs in Vic years ago (could be still there) which said 'GIVE WAY TO TRAINS'.. like... your going to argue?
Hahaha, I just got an image of someone parked across the tracks with a train coming saying "he'll stop" Like a game of chicken...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #28
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
How fast were you going? Might have been one of those dual purpose cameras which pinged you for speeding rather than running the red light as the lights were still yellow when you went through.
was only doing 60. and my speedo is out, but it reads about 5 k's slower. so it cant have been for speeding.
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #29
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

if you are in WA castek, there are no speed camera's with red light camera's that i know of. the red light camera takes 2 pictures, so there are 2 flashes.
Old 20-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
if you are in WA castek, there are no speed camera's with red light camera's that i know of. the red light camera takes 2 pictures, so there are 2 flashes.
And from this they can work out your speed...ask anyone in Syd