Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I'm feeling very sorry for the younger people because they will have to lead a bubble life for the next 50 Years or more.
Those young bastards had it too good anyway with their smashed avocado and their electronic 'music'!

Don't worry Fed, us old bastards will be right
5 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
I'm feeling very sorry for the younger people because they will have to lead a bubble life for the next 50 Years or more.
They already live in a bubble mate.
Old 13-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In terms of those countries I'm watching:

In Group 1 (under 5 cases per 100k); Canada has shown strong improvement over the last 14 days as has Denmark but Brazil has continued to rise while Italy, Spain and Norway are increasing again after a period of decline.

In the next group, 5-10 cases per 100k, the UK has made good gains while Russia and Chile might be starting to improve but Saudi Arabia is still increasing and Sweden is on the increase after a period of decline.

The 10-15 cases per 100k group shows small improvements for the USA and Peru while both Belgium and Ireland have started to trend upward after a period of decline.

I've added a new chart for >15 new cases / 100k as Qatar continuing to climb at an alarming rate and is now having more than 50 new cases per 100k of population per day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 13-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While the USA might be gaining some traction, the data for the individual States continues to look somewhat bleak with most States recording an increase in deaths per 100k of population over the last week.

Case rates per 100k continue to increase for all States but some States are seeing drops in their active case rates so they are getting ahead of the curve.

New York remains about the worst affected with nearly a quarter of all cases and almost a third of all deaths in the country despite having under 6% of the population and it has the 3rd highest CMR (7.79%) behind only Michigan (9.73%) and Connecticut (8.86%). It naturally has the highest number of cases per 100k of population (1,793), ahead of New Jersey (1,590) and Massachusetts (1,137) but it also has the highest number of deaths per 100k at 140 with New Jersey the only other State over 100 (106).
Vermont, Alaska, Hawaii and Montana are all below 2 deaths per 100k of population and the National average is 25.2.

7 States are below 100 cases per 100k of population: Montana (42.4), Hawaii (44.9), Alaska (52), Puerto Rico (75.8), West Virginia (77.5) and Oregon (82.7) while the National average is 425.4.

The National averages are actually a bit misleading as they are significantly impacted by the figures for New York and New Jersey.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

16 new cases for Australia and one death yesterday with only NSW and Victoria recording cases. The CMR rises to 1.404% but active cases are down to 8.8%.

No new cases or death for NZ so CMR is unchanged at 1.403% and active cases are down to 5.2%.

The UK had just over 3,400 new cases and just under 500 deaths so the CMR is up to 14.447% and active cases down to 85.4%. They passed the 2M test milestone yesterday.

Just over 22k new cases and 1,873 deaths in the USA saw the CMR rise to 5.922% although we saw the first actual drop in active case numbers and they are down to 73%. They also passed 10M tests yesterday.

Elsewhere;
Russia remains over 10k new cases per day;
Germany passed 3M tests;
Peru (~4,200) and Chile (~2,600) continue to worsen in terms of new cases yesterday; and
Brazil CMR passed 7%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder when we will be allowed to go 4x4ing camping or just for a relaxing drive.
Those activities in the photo above seem like a much higher risk than being alone in a car.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
PhilT2

Dr Fauci told a senate hearing that the national death toll is likely higher than reported as some places including New York were not counting deaths at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#26c1ad351655
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

From the 'how about this?' file.

I have an Occupational Therapist coming next week. I missed her call yesterday but I rang her back and at the conclusion of the call, I added her to my list of contacts in my phone.

Just now on FB I got a 'people you may know' (as distinct from a friend request) about that person.

So how does that work?

And people worry about the govmint covid app
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is your phone Android?
Old 14-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is your phone Android?
No it's Samsung.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I have an Occupational Therapist coming next week. I missed her call yesterday but I rang her back and at the conclusion of the call, I added her to my list of contacts in my phone.

Just now on FB I got a 'people you may know' (as distinct from a friend request) about that person.

So how does that work?

There is a setting in your FB app that allows it to obtain your contacts. It then uploads them into FB and matches on phone number. Your OT will have an account so it will then link you together as people who know each other.

Imagine what else it's doing with that.

BTW , you can opt out with the setting but my experience is that it's too late now. I've disabled that feature years ago and still get suggestions.

But year, the govt app is so much worse.
Old 14-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
But year, the govt app is so much worse.
The app is not the only concern. Peter Dutton the Home Affairs minister has presented new legislation to give ASIO more power to keep people under surveillance without needing to go before a judge to get a warrant

I haven't read all of the new act yet but the ability to seize any communication device at any time without a warrant may be part of the new laws..

https://www.smh.com.au/national/new-...13-p54smi.html

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...lication%2Fpdf
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The app is not the only concern. Peter Dutton the Home Affairs minister has presented new legislation to give ASIO more power to keep people under surveillance without needing to go before a judge to get a warrant

I haven't read all of the new act yet but the ability to seize any communication device at any time without a warrant may be part of the new laws..

Reminds me of this meme.

41dtrv by S B, on Flickr

Based on those articles you posted though, that is a big from me if what I read is true.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #14
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Honestly Phil, Google has all of the information about you.

Where you go, what you look at on the internet, what you buy, etc (unless you have a 20 year old Nokia mobile phone).

This is the data everyone should be worried about, not some second rate GovCo App that is meant to help control this situation.

Last edited by Fordman1; 14-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #15
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
There is a setting in your FB app that allows it to obtain your contacts. It then uploads them into FB and matches on phone number. Your OT will have an account so it will then link you together as people who know each other.

I setup a facebook account that says i am female, work for the CIA and am an astronaut who won astronaut of the year in 2018.

I now get friend requests from NASA folk....
Haven't got a friend request from CIA yet....:(

I invited every Nigerian I could randomly find and sent them friend requests....the resonse was huge..I now have 37000 friends all messaging me about birthdays etc etc

My facebook account is so full of crap that it is a nightmare for anyone to keep a track of anything through all the misdirection.

So now i can get in...quickly check up on family members that put unauthorised crap on FB and beat them over the head to remove it.
Old 14-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

So how does that work?

Is she hot? Pass on my number
4 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Is she hot? Pass on my number
Haven't you seen the pictures of Cav ? you got no hope competing with that. He's got ME considering turning...

PhilT2:

We still have an increase in total deaths that is greater than the normal death toll plus the covid deaths. How do we account for these?

Yeah I was looking at that a couple of weeks ago. There are a few possibilities. The first thing you need to establish is what is a covid death ?

Someone who dies specifically from respiratory problems ?

Dies from other causes but tests positive ?

Dies because of the shutdown ? (suicide for example) or lack of medical resources to attend their medical needs ?

In many countries, perhaps not so much Australia, there has been a significant increase in deaths due to other things which were probably brought on by the virus like suicides accidental deaths due to being at home or otherwise away from work, loss of access to health care..even though this has only been on for a short while the impacts arose quickly.

As I've said before we won't really know until long after it's passed and there is time to study the pandemic properly. For now there are a lot more opinions than certainties.

But we should still speculate wildly

Edit: Oh yeah privacy. Google and FB can do one thing with your data sell it. Also did you know ancestry sell your dna to the government when you get one of those tests.

"resistance is useless" (vogon guard)...

And actually while I'm on a soapbox go to wikipedia and search resistance is useless. Those FW attribute it to star fing trek!!! No fing clue....
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
In many countries, perhaps not so much Australia, there has been a significant increase in deaths due to other things which were probably brought on by the virus like suicides accidental deaths due to being at home or otherwise away from work, loss of access to health care..even though this has only been on for a short while the impacts arose quickly.

As I've said before we won't really know until long after it's passed and there is time to study the pandemic properly. For now there are a lot more opinions than certainties.

But we should still speculate wildly
We have to balance the increase in deaths against the lives saved by the lockdown. Our road toll is down, in the US school shootings are way down (school's closed) but gang murders are still popular. Measures taken against Covid are also protecting the vulnerable from the regular flu.

Even when it's passed we will only be able to guesstimate the real toll. When this virus gets loose in the slums of poor countries it's likely no attempt will be made to record the true cause of death. Tests cost money and these peoples lives are not valued.

Wild speculation is ok; lying to further your political agenda is another matter and that some continue to swallow these lies and not hold the liar accountable concerns me.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #19
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dr Fauci told a senate hearing that the national death toll is likely higher than reported as some places including New York were not counting deaths at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#26c1ad351655

My Gut says he is wrong, or the under-reports are almost equal the over-reports.

There was a group interviewing Morgue workers in NY saying that many were being listed as Covid-19 when they were not. They found one person who successfully sued to have the death certificate changed.

Whileever hospitals get paid money for Covid-19 cases, I expect we will see over-reporting as the bigger issue.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #20
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
My Gut says he is wrong, or the under-reports are almost equal the over-reports.
We still have an increase in total deaths that is greater than the normal death toll plus the covid deaths. How do we account for these?
Old 16-05-2020, 01:20 AM   #21
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I am not quite getting your point ... perhaps it is my "covid-19 temporary IQ retardation"

I have not crunched the numbers specifically to answer this, but from the CDC figures I crunched before, Total US deaths (all causes) for first 16 week of the calendar year
2018 = 946,067
2019 = 919,699
2020 = 876,416

There is no increase in total deaths

Deaths by Pneumonia + Influensa (Will not include all COVID Deaths)
2018 = 83,610
2019 = 67,075
2020 = 76,666

Even deaths by these two causes is not so abnormal
Old 16-05-2020, 01:41 AM   #22
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
I am not quite getting your point ...
Check this from the UK.
https://fullfact.org/health/covid-deaths/
Old 15-05-2020, 01:02 AM   #23
zilo
BANNED

I removed the Covid19 app from my phone as a direct consequence of the Amazon CEO saying on the record that if the US Govt asked for Australian citizens privacy details that they would have to give it to them.

No Bill of rights Protection in the US constitution for Aussies ...surprise...surprise.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #24
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I removed the Covid19 app from my phone as a direct consequence of the Amazon CEO saying on the record that if the US Govt asked for Australian citizens privacy details that they would have to give it to them.

No Bill of rights Protection in the US constitution for Aussies ...surprise...surprise.
What info are they going to get from the covid app?
Old 15-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #25
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Without the app you could catch covid then recover & live happily ever after.

With the app the govt will know you have had the virus and may impose all sorts of conditions/restrictions on you, because they can.

Here's a little story to ponder on.
30 Years ago I had a heart attack & lived happily ever after until about 10 Years ago when I made the RMS aware of it while dealing with a completely unrelated matter.
Since then I've had to get a full medical EVERY Year just to keep driving.

If your covid status gets loose it could be detrimental to many many facets of your life, think all insurances, driving, public service employment, military etc.

Give them nothing.
Old 15-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Without the app you could catch covid then recover & live happily ever after.

With the app the govt will know you have had the virus and may impose all sorts of conditions/restrictions on you, because they can.

Here's a little story to ponder on.
30 Years ago I had a heart attack & lived happily ever after until about 10 Years ago when I made the RMS aware of it while dealing with a completely unrelated matter.
Since then I've had to get a full medical EVERY Year just to keep driving.

If your covid status gets loose it could be detrimental to many many facets of your life, think all insurances, driving, public service employment, military etc.

Give them nothing.
here's a little story.

hearts don't recover from a heart attack. any tissue etc that dies doesn't regenerate. any damage caused doesn't fix itself without invasive operations. in most/many cases, from that moment on the heart will be working harder than it was previously, and the ability to cope with certain emotions and environments will be reduced.

having a medical every year is for the safety of every other road user, not just yourself.

ever hear of stories where a driver 'had a medical episode' and crashed their car killing innocent people?

its all a conspiracy
Old 15-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #27
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

A complete picture of what hookers I have failed to keep 1.5m apart, how much ammo I bought, the amount of time I spent on car forums and porn sites as well as access to my photos,contacts, sms conversations and just for fun my Commbank APP with puny 4 digit pin..

Australian citizens have rights below domesticated farm animals in the US bill of rights...
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #28
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

The cops threatened me down at the beach today about social distancing.

Is it really my fault if my good looks have all the chicks hitting on me?

I mean the women are only human.
Old 16-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

eenie meenie minie moe

Old 16-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #30
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:

And you had to post that pic because they were the only ones with their bikinis still on...
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread