Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Will factory heatshield fit on PH4499's???

Had my Pacemaker 4499's fitted yesterday, immediately when you pop the bonnet you can feel the extra heat coming out.....

Can the factory heatshield be made to fit over the headers???
Is it actually a good thing to do?? Are there any alternatives?
Will the extra heat affect anything else under the bonnet???

Did a search, ran through some older threads on here...some people say it affects the warranty (not that I have one, the headers are second-hand), some people say you don't want the heatshield there, some people say you do......a bit confusing!!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

yes the factory Heatshield will fit on 4499's

If you have Gas then u sould go it to protect the gas system

as far as i know NO just the gas system if u have one
Old 06-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
yes the factory Heatshield will fit on 4499's

If you have Gas then u sould go it to protect the gas system

as far as i know NO just the gas system if u have one
As said, they do fit with a bit of force, I only put the top 3 bolts in because the short bottom ones are too much of a pain and its bloody secure with the top 3 anyway.

Reason I put it back on and recommend it is, brake boosters these days are plastic and it doesnt take a lot for them to crack, then you have next to no brakes, and its 100% of a bastard to change one out. Looks much better with the factory heatshield painted black anyway covering them up.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

The extra heat can affect the plastic of brake booster causing it to break.

It can also affect clutch cables.

Last edited by MAD; 06-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
As said, they do fit with a bit of force, I only put the top 3 bolts in because the short bottom ones are too much of a pain and its bloody secure with the top 3 anyway.

Reason I put it back on and recommend it is, brake boosters these days are plastic and it doesnt take a lot for them to crack, then you have next to no brakes, and its 100% of a bastard to change one out. Looks much better with the factory heatshield painted black anyway covering them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
The extra heat can affect the plastic of brake booster causing it to break.

It can also affect clutch cables.
Already said that
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Interesting thread. Will the factory heat shield fit on 4480s?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

More importantly, is it ok for the heatshield to be there??? I did read another thread somewhere, a couple of people were saying that the pacemakers / headers need airflow around them to assist with heat dissipation......would heatshields help this? Hinder this? Make no difference???
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
More importantly, is it ok for the heatshield to be there??? I did read another thread somewhere, a couple of people were saying that the pacemakers / headers need airflow around them to assist with heat dissipation......would heatshields help this? Hinder this? Make no difference???
Not true, you are probably confusing the heatshield with having extractors wrapped. Wrapping them AFAIK voids all warranty and is a very annoying job and looks like crap, the air flow from the bottom of the engine bay is more than enough for 4499's with the factory heatshield.
And no, it will not even come close to fitting over 4480's properly, though it is easy to bend, so put the 3 top bolts in the just try to bend it around the headers.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

From what I understand the only reason the wrap voids warranty is because it holds moisture and promotes rust.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #10
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Interesting thread. Will the factory heat shield fit on 4480s?

no thay will not fit on the 4480's the 4480 are 2 big and the shild will not fit
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Not true, you are probably confusing the heatshield with having extractors wrapped. Wrapping them AFAIK voids all warranty and is a very annoying job and looks like crap, the air flow from the bottom of the engine bay is more than enough for 4499's with the factory heatshield.
And no, it will not even come close to fitting over 4480's properly, though it is easy to bend, so put the 3 top bolts in the just try to bend it around the headers.
Yeah I've only heard bad things about heat wrapping the headers......was never even considering doing that.

Sounds like I need to ring up the exhaust place and ask them if they've still got my heatshield.....and can they put it back on for me!!!

Sometimes after driving around, whilst stopped at lights etc, I can 'smell' the heat from the headers coming through the air system.....would the heatshield help to prevent this??? Or is this because the headers have only just been fitted, and it will go away the more I drive the car??
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does go away eventually, you will find the paint is starting to cook, and go a bit dull, do you have them powdercoated or just the standard bluey grey colour? I doubt the place will still have your shield and if they do getting it put back on for free probably wont happen. Can usually get them for $25 or so from the wreckers, paint it black with some heatproof paint and all of 10 minutes to put back on. Very worthwhile mod becauase it makes the bay just look a whole lot cleaner. Just be careful not to cross thread the bolt hoes on the manifold (the top 3 go through shield, headers and into the block), I nearly did on one of them and its not a good thing.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
It does go away eventually, you will find the paint is starting to cook, and go a bit dull, do you have them powdercoated or just the standard bluey grey colour? I doubt the place will still have your shield and if they do getting it put back on for free probably wont happen. Can usually get them for $25 or so from the wreckers, paint it black with some heatproof paint and all of 10 minutes to put back on. Very worthwhile mod becauase it makes the bay just look a whole lot cleaner. Just be careful not to cross thread the bolt hoes on the manifold (the top 3 go through shield, headers and into the block), I nearly did on one of them and its not a good thing.

Here's the engine bay.
I got the pacies off forum member 'private9' - he said it was the factory heat-proof ceramic paint coating.....

Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that is the standard stuff. If you got time today go and grab a sheild from the wreckers and whack it on, in that pic you can see just how close the vaccum hose for the booster and the booster itself are to all that heat.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

I know!!! That's why I was a bit concerned......I won't have time to go to a wreckers until the weekend at the earliest.....so is it easy to do yourself?? I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to working under the bonnet....
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep just need a rachet with a 5/8in socket, undo the corresponding bolts, then put them through the heatshield then back through the headers then back in the block. As I said before, dont bother with the bottom ones, just do the top 3.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
no thay will not fit on the 4480's the 4480 are 2 big and the shild will not fit
Thanks for that. Looks like I will be buying the ACL heat shield product and doing it after market.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont