Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
mohit

Default Out of round tyre...will Ford cover it?

Our LT LX Focus is only a year old and has less than 9,000km on the clock but it has always suffered a slight vibration through the steering wheel at freeway speeds since new. I've had the wheels aligned 3 times in the last year and the problem was identified yesterday when i was getting the 3rd wheel balance at Protek Wheels & Tyres in Oakleigh. First 2 balances were done by Strapp Ford (selling dealer) and Bob Jane T Mart in Doncaster.

The culprit was an out of round tyre (front passenger side). The guys at Protek showed me by putting the wheel on the balancing machine and spinning it up where you could clearly see the top of the tyre going up and down as it spun around.

The problem is now fixed as the out of round tyre has been put on the rear so no more vibration through the steering wheel. But i still want to get the tyre replaced with a new one. What are my chances of getting this done under warranty? Anyone been through something similar? The tyres are still the crappy original Goodyear ones that came standard on the car. Will pop down to Strapp Ford soon for a chat with the Service Manager when i have a chance.

mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
jumbuck
Starter Motor

If the dealer was advised of the problem originally then I don't see why it wouldn't be a warranty job. Unless they can show you caused the damage then tyres should last more than 12 months / 9 000 k's.
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Tyres are normally covered by the tyre manufacturers warranty, the ford dealer may pass it on to a beaurepaires store for example and then tyres are normally replaced on a pro-rata systemGood luck

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

And that's poor really.

If a headlight is faulty, Ford wouldn't pass you onto Hella, or the dash faulty they wouldn't pass you on to Visteon.

The retailer (Ford Dealer) and the wholesaler (Ford) have a responsibility where the item they sell is not "fit for purpose"

But in reality, not doubt ratter is right
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit

Our LT LX Focus is only a year old and has less than 9,000km on the clock but it has always suffered a slight vibration through the steering wheel at freeway speeds since new. I've had the wheels aligned 3 times in the last year and the problem was identified yesterday when i was getting the 3rd wheel balance at Protek Wheels & Tyres in Oakleigh. First 2 balances were done by Strapp Ford (selling dealer) and Bob Jane T Mart in Doncaster.
Whoops. I meant balanced 3 times not aligned.

Thanks for the input guys i'll update here once i know what Ford plans to do.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

It's not Fords fault. Straight and simple. Head to your nearest Bob Jane, Beaurepaires or Dunlop dealer, or any dealer that sells Goodyears and speak to them about your problem. They will then get a rep in who will determine whether it is a warranty claim or not. Ford will have nothing to do with it, as they're not tyre experts. They just supplied a car with these tyres fitted
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
melbzetec

They sold the bloody thing.

It's like saying if you buy a faulty product from Myer, it's not their fault, because they're not underwear, sock or suit experts, so take it somewhere else to sort out your problem.

They should take some responsibility for what they sell and take it up with their supplier ie Goodyear.

It's not Beaurepaires or Bob Janes problem, they didn't even sell the bloody tyre. Ford did. Let them take it up with the rep.

And car companies and dealers wonder why their customer service measures suck.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Last edited by melbzetec; 07-12-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
YUSLOW
Why you slow?

You should have popped in next door to New Oak Ford while you were at Protek and asked at their service department.
I'm sure though they would have to get a rep in from the manufacture to check the tyres and to make the call if they are warranty or not.
YUSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

It's like saying if you buy a faulty product from Myer, it's not their fault, because they're not underwear, sock or suit experts, so take it somewhere else to sort out your problem.

They should take some responsibility for what they sell and take it up with their supplier ie Goodyear.

It's not Beaurepaires or Bob Janes problem, they didn't even sell the bloody tyre. Ford did. Let them take it up with the rep.

Mate, you want to blame Ford, go right ahead. I'm only telling you how to have the problem fixed right then and there, without all the bullcrap associated with Fords lovely service record.

I'll also tell you that a tyre rep WON'T go to a car yard to look at tyre problems like you have. The rep needs to see the tyre on a balancer going up and down, like you've explained.

Not many car yards have balancers on site. And from what you've already said, your local Ford service department farmed out the balancing.

So, instead of complaining about the service, get your bum in the car to a tyre company I have suggested and explain the problem to them and they will then get the rep out to solve the problem.

It's that simple

Last edited by svo supporter; 08-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
YUSLOW
Why you slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
I'll also tell you that a tyre rep WON'T go to a car yard to look at tyre problems like you have. The rep needs to see the tyre on a balancer going up and down, like you've explained.

Not many car yards have balancers on site. And from what you've already said, your local Ford service department farmed out the balancing.
I know for a fact a tyre rep WILL come to a dealer and check the tyres. We've had tyre reps come check tyres under warranty at our dealership several times before!

Also there are a few Ford dealers out there that do their own tyre fitting, alignments, balancing and repairs with their own equipment.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
melbzetec

SVO, I'm not arguing about what's the easiest way to approach it.

But I am arguing about what car companies and dealers think their obligation is to customers. It is a very different standard to other retail sectors.

And I've worked on the consumer side of the car industry for over a decade

Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
bingoTE50
Steve

It is not a balance problem,have your shock/strut tested ,the out of roundness is typical of a faulty shock absorber.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUSLOW
I know for a fact a tyre rep WILL come to a dealer and check the tyres. We've had tyre reps come check tyres under warranty at our dealership several times before!

Also there are a few Ford dealers out there that do their own tyre fitting, alignments, balancing and repairs with their own equipment.

It's rather obvious you have read the thread properly. So just for your benefit I'll go over some things.

Firstly, the balancing wasn't done at the dealer ship. It was farmed out to a Bob Jane store.

Secondly. The rep needs to physcially see the problem with the tyre, in order to fill in a claim form. In this particular instance, the tyre is out of round and was picked up on a balancer. Not by eye. So the rep needs to see this problem on the balancer.

Response to out of roundness due to shocker. If a tyre has highs and lowes within the tread pattern, yes shocker fault. If not, tyre fault.

Response to customer service. It's rather obvious the dealer ship is treating you like crap. I've mearly pointed out all along how to have your problem sorted quickly and easily and why it's done the way it is.

If you don't want to take that advise, not much I can say, but suffer with the vibration problems until you need tyres.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
YUSLOW
Why you slow?

Quote:
The rep needs to physcially see the problem with the tyre, in order to fill in a claim form. In this particular instance, the tyre is out of round and was picked up on a balancer. Not by eye. So the rep needs to see this problem on the balancer.
Don't forget there are some dealers out there with their own equipment. My dealership is one of these. We have our own wheel aligner and wheel balancer.

Either way a rep will need to come and check your tyres for the possible fault and wear, which you will have to book in for so they can organise a rep to come out on that day.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Obviously not in this case, hence the reason behind my comments
Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
bingoTE50
Steve

I would still have the front end checked. I have had nearly forty cars and many tires ,and only once did I have a out of round tyre , it was a re-tread.....
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #17
mohit

Haha can't beleive a thread about an out of round tyre has caused such a hissy fit between people. Haven't had the time to go to the dealership yet. Will do it within the next couple of weeks hopefully.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
bingoTE50
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Haha can't beleive a thread about an out of round tyre has caused such a hissy fit between people. Haven't had the time to go to the dealership yet. Will do it within the next couple of weeks hopefully.
Lol....we have such shallow lives though .....no get too the bloody dealership or we will not sleep tonight...
Old 18-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
mohit

Quick update on this. Took the LT Focus down to Strapp Ford Doncaster today. Just got a call from them saying yes the tyre is out of round. It does not fall under the Ford warranty but will fall under the Goodyear warranty (standard Eagle NCT5 tyres).

I have 2 options, either take the car back to Ford when they can organize a Goodyear rep to be at the dealership to sign off on the warranty. Or take my car to a Goodyear tyre shop with the Ford service report that states the tyre is warrantable. Will most likely go the 2nd option.

Last edited by mohit; 18-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 18-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so in the end fomoco have admitted that the tyre is faulty and have openly admitted that they don't cover tyres under wty but the tyre manufacturer does cover them, seems they are willing to go into bat for you and say the tyre is defective and if up to them they would replace it - you cant get a much better outcome from them than that its almost like them saying "we admit faulty component and if was up to us we would replace it - but it isn't so we will put you in contact with the entity who can remedy issue"

I can't see Ford dealership doing much else in this case to help you, you want them to yank the tyre contract from goodyear? come on guys. I am pretty sure that Ford have stipulated in the contractual agreement with goodyear what the responsibilities of both parties are in the event of a fault - you cant expect them to ride rough shod over their contractual agreements. I believe that if the tyre is defective then somebody @ goodyear QA might have to answer some difficult questions if too many of thres like this get fitted to new cars I bet the manufacturer would quickly get annoyed

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t

so in the end fomoco have admitted that the tyre is faulty and have openly admitted that they don't cover tyres under wty but the tyre manufacturer does cover them, seems they are willing to go into bat for you and say the tyre is defective and if up to them they would replace it - you cant get a much better outcome from them than that its almost like them saying "we admit faulty component and if was up to us we would replace it - but it isn't so we will put you in contact with the entity who can remedy issue"
Pretty much exactly what the service advisor said to me when he called me. I don't really care who replaces the tyre as long as the problem is fixed. Will update this thread once i've spoken to Goodyear about this issue.
Old 19-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

I can hear what SVO is saying – “You have a problem, if you want your problem fixed quickly here is how you get it done . . .” and as it turns out, SVO’s insight was right – Full Marks.

But if I am hearing him correctly, it’s the bigger picture that Melbzetec is PO’ed with.
In that generally speaking the service received from Dealers is woeful. How many good stories do you hear? Maybe 1 in 10, or 1 in 20??

It just isn’t good enough particularly when you have to rely on these businesses who charge exorbitant prices for repairs that only they can do. Mohit shouldn’t have to do the running around to fix this. It’s the dealer you should be responsible for it.

And while we as Consumers continue to let these Dealers off with the crap service, they will continue to not give a fat rat’s clacker about you once you leave the yard.

I mean seriously, what was that tyre worth? $300, $350? A smart Service Manager or Sales Manager would have just bought another tyre, fitted it and sent the Customer away happy. They should handle the warranty issue with the Rep not the Customer for crying out loud.

Anyway, end of rant . . .

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Exactly right FREDO. Most dealerships (note the MOST bit) don't have balancers/ alignment machines therefore they farm the work out to a tyre shop. Dealers can only report to the customer what the tyre shop has told them.

So to get a problem like this fixed quickly, you're best bet is to head to a dealer that stocks these brands and get a rep out for the tyre brand to look at the troublesome tyre. That way, the rep can look at it on a balancer and say yes or no, it's a warranty claim.

The tyre company I work for, deals with a large car dealership. Whilst it's not a Ford dealer, the same principals apply. We report any problems with tyres to the dealership, which in turn notifies the customer. The customer then comes to us and we make the necessary arrangements to have the problem fixed, if they so desire.

IMA also. Dealerships, be it a car dealership or tyre dealership, don't give a new tyre to the customer, without approval from a rep. The rep has paper work to fill in, authorising this. The rep can also take the tyre with them, for the tyre manufacturer to inspect, incase it's an ongoing issue with a batch. Part of the QC process.

So next time there's a problem with a tyre, avoid the dealership. Go straight to the stockist of the tyre and take it up with them. It'll be solved within a week.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 19-01-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #24
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

Legally speaking Ford is responsible,as they sold and assembled the vehicle in question.The fact the parts are not made by them is irrelevant,they have an obligation to fix it for you and cannot "palm" you off to another manufacturer.After they fix your problem its their responsibility to contact the manufacturer that made the faulty part.
I will find the exact Laws relating to this when I get a chance,as I hear this a lot,I have a huge amount of work to get done before university goes back,two degrees at once is very very hard work :togo: .
Old 20-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You buy a TV at Harvey Norman, you dont take it back to them to get it fixed, you have to deal with the manufacturer directly.
Exactly the same as this tyre issue.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #26
smee323
Yes it is mine...

The only problem I can see now is that there will be 3 worn and one new tyre on the vehicle. Unless the spare is a full sized spare.
If so, move new tyres to front and the old one (not OOR tyre) to spare and all good.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb
Legally speaking Ford is responsible,as they sold and assembled the vehicle in question.The fact the parts are not made by them is irrelevant,they have an obligation to fix it for you and cannot "palm" you off to another manufacturer.After they fix your problem its their responsibility to contact the manufacturer that made the faulty part.
: .

Herein lies the problem. Ford were only going by what the owner was saying and had no way of checking their was a problem on site.

Most places that on sell different manufacturer products, can check out a faulty product. However, in this instance, Ford didn't have the equipment to check out this product.

Hence an independant place has been involved, that had the right equipment. Now that the problem has been indentified, Ford is forfilling their obligations. That is, replacing a faulty product at their expense.

So I don't think looking through law books will be necessary in this instance. Do you?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 20-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee323

The only problem I can see now is that there will be 3 worn and one new tyre on the vehicle. Unless the spare is a full sized spare.
If so, move new tyres to front and the old one (not OOR tyre) to spare and all good.
That shouldn't really be a problem as the car has less than 10K km on the clock and the tyres barely look worn
Old 22-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Exactly right FREDO. Most dealerships (note the MOST bit) don't have balancers/ alignment machines therefore they farm the work out to a tyre shop. Dealers can only report to the customer what the tyre shop has told them.

So to get a problem like this fixed quickly, you're best bet is to head to a dealer that stocks these brands and get a rep out for the tyre brand to look at the troublesome tyre. That way, the rep can look at it on a balancer and say yes or no, it's a warranty claim.

The tyre company I work for, deals with a large car dealership. Whilst it's not a Ford dealer, the same principals apply. We report any problems with tyres to the dealership, which in turn notifies the customer. The customer then comes to us and we make the necessary arrangements to have the problem fixed, if they so desire.

IMA also. Dealerships, be it a car dealership or tyre dealership, don't give a new tyre to the customer, without approval from a rep. The rep has paper work to fill in, authorising this. The rep can also take the tyre with them, for the tyre manufacturer to inspect, incase it's an ongoing issue with a batch. Part of the QC process.

So next time there's a problem with a tyre, avoid the dealership. Go straight to the stockist of the tyre and take it up with them. It'll be solved within a week.
is your name really steffo? Also are you a certified lawyer? if not giving out legal advise is against the law!

Mohit, the only problem you will face in my eyes ware ever you will go is the doubt that this was manufactured like this. there is always the view that the issue was caused by a customer who has hit a pot hole for instance... gone where the days of the customers where always right. no matter what you say to ford, 9000 km is still 9000km. And thats what sucks.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Outof round tyres

On Oct 31 last year I bought a one year old demo Ford TDCI Focus.
On driving it home 140km s the tyres caused a lot of vibration. I took it to Goodyear a couple of days later and they showed me the tyres on the balancing machine. All 4 were out of round.
I rang the dealer and booked it in for this and one other warranty issue. My wife took it up. They replaced (Ford Dealer) the front tyres and left the back ones.
The car had done 4000kms.
I wont pursue the back tyres as I hate the noise these South African Goodyear tyres generate. The sooner they wear out the better, however I have now done 11000km and they are still like new.
So I reckon it is up to the Ford dealer to deal to your issue.

On another topic -what are the second set of tyres owners have fitted to their TDCI focuses-I just hate the noise these OEM tyres generate.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post