Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #301
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I don't agree, either. It's the reason they offer 4 different power levels, as from early next year, anyway.
EB2.0 ~170kW
Petrol I6 195kW
LPi 198kW
Turbo 270kW
I probably don't know as much as you, but I wouldn't be surprised if Falc gets 184kw EcoBoost 2.0l.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #302
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What I thought I'd mention too is that for the first time ever, falcon is going to be able to be sold as a fleeter to many government fleets who have the nefarious "4 cylinder only" policy. This is something that the commodore hasn't been able to accomplish, but the cruze has been able to achieve. A falcon with size, great fuel economy and pretty good acceleration with a low C02 output ticks a lot of boxes for those making decisions at govco, and with the correct kind of offer there's potential to take on the cruze, camry and other 4 cylinder NA pieces of poo.
Further, for the other fleets the EcoLPI is going to be a big winner, it's just a pity the station wagon isn't there for companies like telstra.
Hopefully these new before unavailable markets will substantially improve sales.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 16-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #303
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2. The below is what I would reasonably expect from an upgrade/refresh/MK2.

- Chassis tweaks and tyre package upgrade for FPVs. Clearly needed.
- With the upgrade of the interior, hopefully better quality control/materials.
- LED tail lights for premium models (G6E upwards, optional on G6).
- Obvious engine tweaks for emissions and efficiency, power increase not necessary.
- incremental technology updates using "One Ford." Not an overhaul but an introduction, a look at what the Mondeo has would be a start.
- Better brake compounds to reduce the shuddering effect some still get.

So basically the update is fine but I would hope there is effort put into quality control.
I don't see a need for more power.
I wouldn't expect too much major changes as this is not a new model it is a refresh. The new engines (ecoboost and LPG) are a good addition.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #304
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it, just seen the dealer release and there's some interesting surprises in there too
Old 16-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #305
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Love it, just seen the dealer release and there's some interesting surprises in there too
Sharing is caring!
Old 16-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #306
Chopped
as in chopped

I know that the Qld Government has replaced some of it's Camrys with i45s next year. Hyundai appears to be chasing the fleet business as well.

Last edited by Chopped; 16-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #307
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I know that the Qld Government has replaced some of it's Camrys with i45s next year. Hyundai appears to chasing the fleet business as well.
Yes.. Even the QLD police are starting to order Hyundai SUV's and Vans.. They get cheaper buy in, decent resale and a 5 year warranty...
Old 16-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #308
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

russellw posted a comprehensive list on page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2. The below is what I would reasonably expect from an upgrade/refresh/MK2.

- Chassis tweaks and tyre package upgrade for FPVs. Clearly needed.
- With the upgrade of the interior, hopefully better quality control/materials.
- LED tail lights for premium models (G6E upwards, optional on G6).
- Obvious engine tweaks for emissions and efficiency, power increase not necessary.
- incremental technology updates using "One Ford." Not an overhaul but an introduction, a look at what the Mondeo has would be a start.
- Better brake compounds to reduce the shuddering effect some still get.

So basically the update is fine but I would hope there is effort put into quality control.
I don't see a need for more power.
I wouldn't expect too much major changes as this is not a new model it is a refresh. The new engines (ecoboost and LPG) are a good addition.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #309
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Just thinking about, looking at the new XR6T package, the updated FPV GS is looking to be a quite a compelling market offering.
Agreed. Particularly if you can order one with the XR luxury pack. Will be interesting to see if FPV let you do that, or if they wont for fear it would cannibalise GT sales to much.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #310
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
as mentioned earlier, if someone googles FG2 as part of some research, it will no doubt lead them to this thread and what sort of opinion is that going to make!! we all rave on about marketing and yet many on here contribute to the poor image by continual negativity on a public internet forum.
You often confuse Ford owners and their experiences and opinions with the Ford marketing department. This is the former.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #311
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I find interesting is that people keep concentrating on comparing FG1 to FG2 and trying to measure the success of the new model purely based on that, the reality is that successes of the Falcon will mostly depend on the FG2 relative to what the competition offers. The way I see it next year and into 2013 competition will only get worse …
  • Toyota will be releasing a new Camry and Aurion, and we all know how well Toyotas sell.
  • Holden will keep selling commodores at discounted prices including these special edition models, while offering their usual yearly very minor updates to keep the product fresh.
  • Mazda will be releasing their new SKY updates to Mazda 6 which is supposed to bring very significant improvements in various mechanical areas of the vehicles, and we all know how well Mazda sell.
  • Lastly I think that Hyundai is looking seriously at the large (medium to large) car markets seriously now and they do have a bunch of models already seeling overseas in the pipeline for Australia.

All in all I personally believe the competition in the large or medium to large car market will only get fiercer in the years 2012 – 2013, and looking at the changes Ford has implemented in FG2 I’m not convinced that Ford has done enough to convince buyers to come back and start buying Falcons in volumes again … I’m not trying to bash Ford or anything but I’m just being a realist here.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #312
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sorry Dimka I missed the bit that was wrong with the FG2 compared to its rivals? Just price?
Old 16-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #313
MAD
Petro-sexual

I think for Ford to stay competitive with the Falcon, the included technology needs to be boosted.
Front/rear park assist, elec steering to allow for self parking, dynamic headlights, active head rests, radar cruise control, FLIR, lane change guidance, voice control.
Why play catch up when you can leap ahead.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #314
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

MAD honestly, Ford have the falcon at a price point, once you make the RRP to high people will buy euro's instead for the "prestige".

All of those wizz bang things will come online if Falcon merges with a GWRD, until then it will be one bit at a time. Functions coming through now Lpi, EB4 are deemed to hold more value for the company, and rightly so.

Also, show me a car in the Falcons class, large car, not some medium size car playing big that has all those options at the same price.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #315
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
MAD honestly, Ford have the falcon at a price point, once you make the RRP to high people will buy euro's instead for the "prestige".

All of those wizz bang things will come online if Falcon merges with a GWRD, until then it will be one bit at a time. Functions coming through now Lpi, EB4 are deemed to hold more value for the company, and rightly so.

Also, show me a car in the Falcons class, large car, not some medium size car playing big that has all those options at the same price.
Yeah I know it's all at a cost, but unfortunatley the 'Big Aussie car' is competing with big medium cars. You cant expect someone to buy something that is perceived as being bigger, when a medium size import (very close in size) will run rings around it with included features.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #316
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes but do we want to list the things a Falcon will do that a Mazda 6 wont? I agree people cross shop to a point.

The Falcon is competing against global cars, that kills it, but again I state why does the commy still sell? We are not that patriotic.

So either Holden are doing something Ford isnt, like discounting like made to fleets? Or something else is going on.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #317
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Love the look of the XR's, new front end is sweeeeeetttttttt.

What have Ford done to the pics of the G series cars, they look fake. I will have to wait to see one in the metal before I pass judgement as those pics give you no clue about how it actually looks.

Hoping to get a XR6 Turbo with luxury pack next year.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #318
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Love the look of the XR's, new front end is sweeeeeetttttttt.

What have Ford done to the pics of the G series cars, they look fake. I will have to wait to see one in the metal before I pass judgement as those pics give you no clue about how it actually looks.

Hoping to get a XR6 Turbo with luxury pack next year.
hmmm employee discounts
Old 16-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #319
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All in all a good solid update of FG. XR styling looks to be a good variant of the Terri's look and G series is ok, but to my eye a step backwards from series 1. Still some of the more desirable options from FG1 are now standard and the range has received some worthwhile updates and options.

While some on here might like more techno toys, its a bit much to expect what is an old platform like Falcon to offer what a Mondeo has etc, but with what was available to them Ford have tried to tick the right boxes for buyers.

When you take into account the current sales of Falcon and the not inconsiderable coin Ford is spending on the driveline options for Falcon right now, this is a good solid update for FG and deserves to get more sales for Ford as a result.

Good stuff.

Dan
Old 16-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #320
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And if you look at the volume potential the falcon will now pick up from LPi and EB4 that wasnt previously there before then things are looking good. Add the Terry now back to where it was and that is a decent amount of Aussie Fords being sold, once all variants are online I cant wait to see the numbers vs Commodre.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #321
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah once Ecoboost comes on line, it will be interesting to see what happens with sales as it will have the engine to shed the Falcon's "thirsty" perception.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 16-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #322
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry Dimka I missed the bit that was wrong with the FG2 compared to its rivals? Just price?
There is nothing wrong with the car, there is just not enough in my opinion to stay competitive through late 2012/2013 ... I will get to the price with the 3rd comment below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Yeah I know it's all at a cost, but unfortunately the 'Big Aussie car' is competing with big medium cars. You cant expect someone to buy something that is perceived as being bigger, when a medium size import (very close in size) will run rings around it with included features.
Very well said, and that is exactly the issue that Ford is facing in the Australian market, Ford is not longer competing on the used to be small scale limited Australian market, now days in Australia people can buy cars from just about any maker in the world and the knowledge of these cars/models is easily available to everyone in the public domain, importers are also becoming more and more competitive on price than ever before, while government help to local manufacturers is slowly fading each passing year.

Quote:
hmmm employee discounts
And that is exactly the biggest issue the market has with Ford/Holden – Fleet/Employee discounts which totally devalue these cars on the second hand car market.

Personally I find it unacceptable to lose 40% - 50% off the car’s value in the first year of ownership, while many people can accept loosing 40% - 50% on a new car worth about 20K – 30K, I think most people will not buy in on such a big loss if the car value is 50K + … everyone who I know or spoke too simply said “buy a new performance Ford or Holden for 50K – 60K and lose 25K on at in the first one year! No way man I would rather buy a slower Golf GTI/R and lose 5K – 10K on it max!”
Old 16-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #323
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
hmmm employee discounts
Hell yeah.

I was considering a G6E Turbo also, but I much prefer the look of the XR now, whereas with FG1 I liked them both as much.

There was a sweet 50th anni G6E Turbo for sale in the second hand yards at work with 7000km on it going for 33 k. Considered it but i'm not ready to buy yet.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #324
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

As this update will be coming later this years, I'm just wondering how this media release will affect the sales of the current FG until then. Holden seems to keep very quiet about new releases, like they did with the two VE updates in the last year.

Quote:
Add the Terry now back to where it was and that is a decent amount of Aussie Fords being sold, once all variants are online I cant wait to see the numbers vs Commodre.
Unfortunately there are two model names that compete with the one Commodore name (which includes both sedans and wagons), so Ford will always be at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to quoting numbers sold, particularly the traditional Falcon vs. Commodore comparison. Publications such as Carsguide being biased toward Holden tend to use these comparisons to the detriment of Ford.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #325
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Without having a comprehensive review of the features/changes of the FG2.
car-advise first look
http://www.caradvice.com.au/138129/f...es-and-details
Old 16-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #326
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
I probably don't know as much as you, but I wouldn't be surprised if Falc gets 184kw EcoBoost 2.0l.
And I wont be surprised if its quicker then the standard I6 in the xr6/xt/g6 etc.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #327
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given its the same bonnet & guards I wonder how many XR6 owners for example will simply get a FGII front bar, grill & lights as it will still be an XR6 & not a FPV look alike.

I think the XR6 Turbo grill with the chrome highlights looks better than the all black though in the flesh will tell.

Oh on another note, after reading the full list of upgrades which I did not see last night & reading over a few other sites it does seem I was wrong in saying it was a very minor update & is every bit as major as any that came before it & even moreso than some, see I can admit when I am wrong (just dont tell my Wife) lol
Old 16-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #328
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
No mention at all of the FGII in todays Carsguide, only more mentions of doom and gloom with Falcon, but thats probably to be expected from them.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #329
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Given its the same bonnet & guards I wonder how many XR6 owners for example will simply get a FGII front bar, grill & lights as it will still be an XR6 & not a FPV look alike.

I think the XR6 Turbo grill with the chrome highlights looks better than the all black though in the flesh will tell.

Oh on another note, after reading the full list of upgrades which I did not see last night & reading over a few other sites it does seem I was wrong in saying it was a very minor update & is every bit as major as any that came before it & even moreso than some, see I can admit when I am wrong (just dont tell my Wife) lol
you're forgiven lol
Old 16-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #330
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
As this update will be coming later this years, I'm just wondering how this media release will affect the sales of the current FG until then. Holden seems to keep very quiet about new releases, like they did with the two VE updates in the last year.
It's only 2-3 months away, and I'd imagine that this time of the year is slower for car sales anyway (leading into xmas and saving for holidays). Most buy in the new year with a change of job, or xmas bonus, or at the end/beginning of financial year.
Closed Thread