Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
big fella
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Australia "ford racing" style

I followed a link in a thread a few days ago to the US Ford Racing site, particularly their crate engine section. There were links on their page to PCMs configured specifically for these engines. In other words, it was a no mess no fuss proposition to repower an older car. Obviously you still need to go through the process of making the engine fit etc. but the fiddling was done. Whats more, the prices were reasonable. A brand new engine and loom for under US$10,000.

It got me thinking, what would be the reason that Ford Australia don't do something similar? I'd love to be able to buy a Typhoon engine and trans and bash it into the XY. I know I still could if I bought a package from a wreckers, but it's not the same. The only things I could come up with, were:
1) Supply. Are they at full production capacity at the foundry?
2) New vehicle sales. Do they believe it would detract from their new vehicle sales?
3) Legislation. Is there something that makes it legally troublesome?

or

4) I'm an idiot because they do offer something similar and I just don't know about it.

Does anyone know which, if any, is true?

big fella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If they think they could make money out of it then they would do it. From the outside it seems simple but I reckon there would be a logistics and admin issue for a small market such as us. Everything makes sense in the US because the market is so large, being over here I dont think we quite comprehend the size difference. But to answer your points:

1. Unless their running 24/7 then IMO they are not at capacity, so thats not an issue
2. Nope, if you own a FPV and yoru engine blows and you really wanted a new one you could get it
3. Yes, depending on where you are it will require lots of hoops and paper work
4. No, but with the advent of coyote it makes the case for FPV less and less harder to justify with direct technological links with the US. They are just slow.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post