Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Default install has started..

hey guys,

well as promised i said i woudl let you all know how the install would coming along when i got it all started, well... for about 8 maybe 9 hours today all i have been doing is the doors, filling service holes and sound deadening.

i still have about half a door to do but hey, i still got tomorrow !

first off i made a "gasket" of sorts out of gaffa tape, so that when i fit the alum to the service holes the two metals wont make the alum corrode.

then i got some flashing ( flat aluminium from work ) and then riveted it, essentially closing over all the service holes ( when i upload pics they will explain it a little better ) i then gaffa taped around them, sealing off any gaps between the alum and the door skin.

then mr dynamat made an appearance. just a quick note, if i was doing this again, i wouldnt be cheap and i would purchase the rolling tool, i have at least 500 000 little cuts on my fingers and hands from moulding this stuff to my door, i didnt even know it was cutting me untill i went to wash my hands, OUCH! i only felt about two cuts, ddint realise it got me a few mroe times, but thats life.

i then made up some mdf spacers so i can fit the 6.5" MB Quarts in the doors.
dummied them in place, made sure everything was working and all is in order.

the windows open and close ( which you have to watch when filling the bottom service hole. i found this out the hard way, having to bend the flashing twice as the first time it wouldnt allow the window to close.

sorry this has been a stupidly long post, just sorta tryin to get some info out to you guys before i do the piccies up. tomorrow i will be getting up early to hopefully finish the doors, then ill start with the cables. so for a week or so, i may well be driving around with no music, and only one seat..... meh.

after i have everything all wired up and installed, ill be gettin maroochyc ar sound to install my deck, that way i can actually still get my warranty on the deck as well as warranty on the install of the head unit. and for only 80 bucks to get them to install it, really isnt even worth worrying about doing the head unit.

so thats the plans, feel free to comment, i may or may not get some pics up tomorrow, if not tomorrow then maybe monday.

regards chris
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sounds good Chris. Maybe you could answer this question for me, save me some money...

Can you just straight up fit some 6" speakers in the doors or are modifications required to do that?
Old 22-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
borry

mine are 6.5" and they didnt fit, only just though, just gotta make up a spacer with 10mm mdf, quite easy, ill show ya my install, the photos will explain everything a little better im sure! ive just been flat out with work thats all... i will get them up soon enough.
Old 23-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sweet. I'll have to meet up with you sometime so I can have a look.
Old 23-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by borry
then mr dynamat made an appearance. just a quick note, if i was doing this again, i wouldnt be cheap and i would purchase the rolling tool, i have at least 500 000 little cuts on my fingers and hands from moulding this stuff to my door, i didnt even know it was cutting me untill i went to wash my hands, OUCH! i only felt about two cuts, ddint realise it got me a few mroe times, but thats life.
Hahaha, its good stuff isnt it.

I coped the same thing when i done me boot lid.

By the time i got to the doors a had it figured and used a bit of carpet to apply it. No cuts then.

Good luck with the install. Look Folward to seein pics.
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #6
borry

wellity wellity wellity, all is going sweet, deck installed today, all i have is praise for maroochy car sound, they called me at work today at least 5 times during the install, to make sure everything was going well, and to ask every question for little details that i would of not of thought of when droppiing it off ie:

- what side would u like the rca's dropped down so its easier for you to run them
- do you want a seperate remote wire or the one supplied with the rca's we suggest usign a seperate one, we will do it for you for free ( so they did it, but nice to call beforehand )
- would u like the black cd player surround, or the silver one that came with the deck ?
- your car is completed, how long do you thik you will be so we can shuffle cars and have it ready for immediate pick-up
- is there anything else you will need for the rest of your installation, ie wire etc etc so we can have it all ready for you to pick up and take when you come collect your car.

i then went to check the rca's to make sure they had labelled the sub out with teh front out, they had done that... so really, if any company is reading this, the $1, or less, they just spent on calls to me, they have made sure that i would return at any given point in time for repeat business. these being all seperate calls, the installer being apologetic at the end of every call, knowing all well and good that this is my work number, and that he is sure he woudl stop bothering me, however small things like that kept popping up, so he continued to call. good service.

so tomorrow i will be installing my speakers, and fastening my sub box, im almost there!
Old 27-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
borry

well as luck would have it, all my photos are gone due to a stupid stupid un named family member, GAH! well, to cap it all off anyway, the install is finished, sounding pristine! if anyone is keen to see/hear it, im on the sunny coast qld, pm me to find out more. sorry guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-03-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute
Sounds good Chris. Maybe you could answer this question for me, save me some money...

Can you just straight up fit some 6" speakers in the doors or are modifications required to do that?
Gday mate, 7"x5" speakers bolt straight in. I had Maroochy Car Sound fit systems in two of my Falcons and was very happy with both jobs from negotiation to completion.
Old 29-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #9
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Quote:
well as luck would have it, all my photos are gone due to a stupid stupid un named family member, GAH! well, to cap it all off anyway, the install is finished, sounding pristine! if anyone is keen to see/hear it, im on the sunny coast qld, pm me to find out more. sorry guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Gday borry, is this aluminium sound deadener you have fitted? Im going to do some sound deadening when I work out what to use.
Old 29-03-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Wouldn't happen to be a brother, would it?

My speakers are going in Thursday. I'll have to tell the blokes who are installing them to fix up the shudder it gets with a little bass and up a little loud. Damn door shuddering Falcons.

I know 5x7" fit straight in, but I have some 6" that I wanna use, they've been lying in my cupboard for a year or so and are begging to be used.

I don't trust myself enough to install them myself, so I'll let the pros do it.