Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
AUIIISR

Default Auto Fluid, how to check

I have a AU3 Falcon, im think that my Auto may be low on trans Fluid as it bumped into "safemode" the other day, but I dunno where im looking to check it..... any help will be appreciated

AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

undo the bolt on the driver's side of the transmission ... and stick your finger in to see where the fluid is. Not kidding .... it's the only way of checking it.

It doesn't take too much for the fluid to drop to low ... a handpump is needed though to get new fluid in there.

When was the last time the auto was serviced????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
AUIIISR

Ive had the car since it had 75000 on it, only got 107000 now and it hasnt been checked since ive had it, Ive had same problems in other cars and I no for sure that it has to be a little low. A guy I work with has the same problem as well with his AU
Old 04-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I try and make it a habit of doing an auto service every 20,000km on my ute ... but it does get used a bit ... but i have replaced the auto with a rebuilt one ... and they aren't cheap at all to do ... so the $150-$200 for an auto service every 20K-30K is money well spent for transmission longevity.

Winter time really shows when levels are low ... especially cold morning when the transmission doesn't like holding Drive from initial start up till fluid gets warm and pressurises.

Also older fluid breaks down over time as well and doesn't work as well as fresh fluid does.

Put it this way ... I had my Territory trans fluid checked at 60,000km ... and it looked fine ... I had it replaced at 75,000km as the shifts felt a little sloppy ... fluid still looked cherry red though .... but with new fluid in and a new filter in as well ... the shifts were more positive and it drove a lot nicer as well. I will be doing the auto fluid more often from now on though ... just for piece of mind.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can also gravity feed some into the auto, i got some clear plastic hose (a couple of metres) and a funnel from the hardware and taped the hose and funnel to the drivers side mirror its a little slow but effective, if your doing an oil change at home its much easier than laying on your back with one of those little pumps, i had a bit of auto trans cooler pipe with a bend that i shoved in the other end to stop hose coming out, works like a bewdy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you can also gravity feed some into the auto, i got some clear plastic hose (a couple of metres) and a funnel from the hardware and taped the hose and funnel to the drivers side mirror its a little slow but effective, if your doing an oil change at home its much easier than laying on your back with one of those little pumps, i had a bit of auto trans cooler pipe with a bend that i shoved in the other end to stop hose coming out, works like a bewdy.
I tried that when i fitted my transmission cooler, hooked the bottle into the top cooler pipe and squeezed like buggery and it didnt work...i'm trying to remember if when i got my auto rebuilt and strengthened if they said they pressurised the oil??
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
AUIIISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I try and make it a habit of doing an auto service every 20,000km on my ute ... but it does get used a bit ... but i have replaced the auto with a rebuilt one ... and they aren't cheap at all to do ... so the $150-$200 for an auto service every 20K-30K is money well spent for transmission longevity.

Winter time really shows when levels are low ... especially cold morning when the transmission doesn't like holding Drive from initial start up till fluid gets warm and pressurises.

Also older fluid breaks down over time as well and doesn't work as well as fresh fluid does.

Put it this way ... I had my Territory trans fluid checked at 60,000km ... and it looked fine ... I had it replaced at 75,000km as the shifts felt a little sloppy ... fluid still looked cherry red though .... but with new fluid in and a new filter in as well ... the shifts were more positive and it drove a lot nicer as well. I will be doing the auto fluid more often from now on though ... just for piece of mind.
I may have lied, i went through the service history n it has been done before, I'm ringing up and getting it booked in next week and get it over and done with, may as well get the Shift kit fitted whilst its in the shop as well :
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I tried that when i fitted my transmission cooler, hooked the bottle into the top cooler pipe and squeezed like buggery and it didnt work...i'm trying to remember if when i got my auto rebuilt and strengthened if they said they pressurised the oil??
perhaps there was an air lock doing it through the oil line, i have found gravity method very easey.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post