Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
KiwiJif
Starter Motor

Default AUIII Wagon Rear End Knock

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have a knock somewhere in the rear of my wagon that my mechanic cannot work out and was hoping someone might have an idea of what it could be.

It mainly happens after straightening up after a left hand corner or after a change of direction like on a roundabout. Its just a single knock. I have just had a the shackle bushes replaced which has really tightened things up but the knock is still there. All rear suspension parts have been checked for wear and tightness and the wheel bearings seem to be fine.

Could it be the diff popping or knocking?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

KiwiJif is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the jack handle loose?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
KiwiJif
Starter Motor

Nope not the jack handle. That was the first thing I checked. Maybe I will remove it altogether just to be sure.
Old 30-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I have some rear end noise in our wagon, and recently found out I have an LSD which is simply becoming noisy with age. Was a bonus finding the LSD though!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how can you own and DRIVE a car without knowing you have an lsd?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
how can you own and DRIVE a car without knowing you have an lsd?
Well, firstly as you probably would, I assumed that a gold AU3 Futura wagon would not have been optioned with an LSD.

Secondly I only drive the car with my kids in it, maybe twice a week, and as such have never pushed it or provoked wheelspin in it.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
TICTRAK

Good call PRIVATE 9. although i know I dont.
But I've got a knock and its the left wheel bearing and it binds sometime with the hand brake set up, ready for replacement!!!!!.

If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
TICTRAK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Could be the spare wheel shifting position.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Exhaust rubber mount loose/damaged/missing ... and the exhaust is knocking against something.

Just another thought I guess.

Seeing as you have had the suspension checked I guess that rules out getting swaybar mounts checked (that's if it has a swaybar too).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
KiwiJif
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have checked the exhaust mounts and are all fine. Have also removed the spare but I still get the knock or donk.

Any other theories?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe get a passenger in the rear of the car and take it for a squirt over a bumpy bit of road, get the noise happening again try to isolate it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
bazz
Melbourne Lad

I have the same problem and I don't know what it is either.

AU-III Wagon.
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I occasionally borrow a BA XR6 for long trips (I'd prefer my AU but the BA comes with a fuel card) and it has had a knock in the rear since new.

The owner has had it back to Ford numerous times to no avail.

On one of our trips out west I bottomed out the front bar (at speed) at a dip in the road and the rear knock disappeared.

It came back after a month or so but obviously the hard bump made something shift or sit a little differently. BA's owner reported that bit of news to Ford but still no joy in finding what it is.

I know the wagon has different suspension etc but I guess the point of my post is that it may be almost impossible to track the knock down....
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could it be a poorly fitted exhaust?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:05 PM   #15
KiwiJif
Starter Motor

Its not the exhaust because i can shake that around without getting it to knock on anything.

I drove around a bit today and it really only happens after taking a left hand corner or bend and only when the foot is on the accelerator. Doesn't seem to happen if I coast around a bend with foot off the pedal.

My mechanic took a passenger in the back seat but still could not work it out. It does sound pretty central in the rear though.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the fuel tank tight? 2 sraps are used to hold them in place & if the rubber inserts are missing this can cause the tank to move.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #17
slow
Starter Motor

i had the same prob in my ba wagon. one of the leaves in the rear right leaf springs had a crack in it.
u could only see it when the mechanic took the leaf spring out of the car, and took it apart.
also had a knocking sorta sound when the rear wheel bearings went
slow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post