Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Replacement Brake Bits

Hi all,

My '02 LR Zetec went in for its 45,000km service today... and I was told within the next 10,000km i will need all 4 brake pads and the front rotors replaced... now i dread to think what the cost of getting the parts would be through ford, Let alone the labour, But my question to the guys who have LR Focii is this;
Is there a better and cheaper aftermarket alternative to the Factory brake rotor and brake bad package?

Now in all honesty, im not after outright performance, But i do like a solid brake pedal ...

I was also told i will need new tyres in 7,000km (Dad works with Bridgestone so thats not a worry - Getting Grid III's), and there is potentially a small coolant leak in there somewhere as well (They found a trace somewhere). Getting expensive....

Any further information would be great.

Cheers
Marty

(Oh, I have a mate that works at KTAS, so hopefully i can get him to do the work for me. He would be the most pedantic person i have ever seen work on a vehicle, his or someone elses!)

Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

dba discs and ebc greenstuff or Ferodo brakes are the best for what your looking for.
they are aus as well.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have warranty are those covered by them?
Old 30-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Brakes are not covered by warranty.
Old 31-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
FRA
Mr Focus

PM sent
RDA rotor are great.
EBC brakes are crap.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.

Last edited by FRA; 31-03-2007 at 12:15 AM.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
No its not
Its wear and tear.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 31-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
Definitely not, Im tracing back the history of my particular car, and it may have actually first been registered to Ford Australia... potentially even as a test fleet car...(?!) Another car on the fleet only a few registration digits out was on a drive.com.au test many years ago. But thats just jibber, Factory warranty has expired, and because it was one of the first in the country, that may just explain it.

Im going to consider options, will wait to get some good/bad opinions on equipment before moving in.... given this cars life in my hands may only be another 12-18 months, it may be a good move to recycle it onwards, before i outlay too much cash.
Old 31-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I believe the prices on Genuine Focus brake parts may recently have dropped (thinking discs), check them out first before you discount them. I seem to remember them falling not long ago I THINK...

As for FRA - EBC crap? Sometimes I wonder what you're smoking. Based on what? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about EBC pads. Care to elaborate?
Old 31-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
FRA
Mr Focus

I've had EBC brakes on my Focus before and they didnt do much for either of my 2 Focus cars.
Yeah EBC are better then stock but, they're not the best you can get. There is always better out there.

With what I have on now....bought from a car racing company within Australia...I would out brake the EBC. My pads still look and feel like new after being on the car for over a year, and to top it right off for ya, the same company who makes the brake pads for the Focus also make pads, rotors and calipers etc, for AU and BA street use...as well as race use. And they're used on the V8supercars by some of the Ford teams.

It's just like everything. People have different tastes and reasons. Such as....you don't like different air pod filters but is there a reason for that?

Oh and by the way....I don't smoke...lol

Last edited by FRA; 31-03-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 31-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FRA I'm guessing you have PBR brakes on your car then. Remember you bought pads from a racing company. You sure you didn't buy track pads for your focus?

I agree with Zetec on this one. I hear rave reviews about them I know melbzetec has greenstuff pads on his car.
Also I wonder what you smoke sometimes too :P

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
FRA
Mr Focus

There not PBR
The brake pads I have are street use.
EBC might do it for ya but, it doesn't cut it for me.
I have brake pads that works for me and I feel that they're alot better then ebc
Old 31-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Then what brand do you have mate? You seem to be hiding it for some reason? How much did you pay?

Martyvan is clearly not interested in paying top dollar or even any dollar for race brakes as he states he wants a "better and cheaper" alternative if possible.

My money's still on the factory brakes, we all know they work really well and they're top quality. EBC is another alternative that is also going to perform well, I don't have a lot of experience with brakes beyond that so that's all I can offer.

Sometimes your claims just don't have enough context FRA, whilst you might mean well, it's very easy for people to take some things you say the wrong way as you don't back them up with enough fact or unbiased opinion.
Old 31-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #13
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try www.dba.com.au for discs - they might make something?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
Mick K.

I had a Ford dealer do the front rotors and pads at my 60K service. It added about $350 to the cost of the service. A few brake shops were quoting $500+ and the cheapest was about $330, so out of convenience I just got Ford to do it. There is another thread in this forum from a year or two ago on this topic here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=42646
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
ant70
Starter Motor

Smile

My Oct '02 Zetec has been through 2 sets of front rotors in under 60,000 k's of average driving . Certainly the Original equipment stuff is good but the most they last is 20-25,000 km's . What kills the front rotors especially is the pads coz they're hard and abrasive . They eat the rotors for breakfast .They need brakes like this in Europe for when they're hammering down freeways at high speed . I decided after the second set to get an alternative . Asked a mate who knew about this sorta stuff and he said to go to a place like ABS Brake Service and they'll fix you up . Did this , got a new set of aftermarket rotors front and rear and the pads that suited and for about $400 I now have brakes (and brake pedal feel) that the average driver will be confident in using and would be hard pressed to tell the difference between original and new and are gonna last much , much longer than 20,000kms .
ant70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I went through front discs and full pads at 45,000km. I'm now at 90,000km and my rear discs are still original, my front replaced discs are still in good condition. I should expect only pads to be changed front and back in the next week or two when I get it serviced.

Mine's driven hard and in the city so I'm very happy really with that. I guess some people have different experiences!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

I had EBC Turbo Grooved Discs and EBC Green Pads on the ST170...far better than OEM brake set-up, get some heat in them and it stops hard....far better than standard!

p.s.. I have the brakes for sale too....I removed them before I traded the ST...did 1200 km with them on! If anyone is interested...PM me! Cheers.
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #18
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would've bought them off you but not the same size brakes on ST170

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #19
BlackLS

LS Guys have this same problem.

I'm at 60,000kms and ready face the brunt of New front rotors and pads and rear pads.

I'll be checking the local Mazda dealer parts for the pad prices, and may go EBC pads and discs.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice guys, Im going to look into getting aftermarket, and I will definitely be checking out the factory jobs as well, given price is a consideration, and I personally will only do another 20-30,000km in the car.. i dont see it being an issue with the factory longevity.

Will let you know what happens and when, or if i go nuts, and get something better than 'standard'!

Cheers
Marty