Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Tip for aggessive cruise control

Hey guys.

The topic of aggessive cruise control comes up every now and then.

I've just done a pile of traveling with and without a trailer and 95% of it on cruise control.

Some people complain of the car jumping up an extra 20kph when going up a hill on cruise or just generaly revving high.
This may be obvious to some, but for those that don't yet know:

What works for me (or what I have discovered) is that it is all to do with the econ/power mode.

When in econ mode, the car tries to keep the revs very low - ie. Changing up late at the very last moment. Problem is, on cruise control, when going up a hill, when it finally decides to change up a gear to keep up speed, it has to rev out and downchange 2 gears.

Try running the car in power mode when on cruise. This way, when the car needs just a little squirt of power, it will just kick back one gear, and only have to rev up a very little bit then change back down again. I call this the "Chaser Theory" - lol.

Give it a go anyway, and let us know how you guys go!

Cheers
Chaser

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've found the same thing with mine and don't have any major dramas with cruise but it's easy for me as i'm always in power mode ;)
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Im going on a long drive tomorrow... I'll give it a go.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found in mine (a manual) is that it will open the throttle gradually and is often slower than the decline in speed going up the hill....then at a certain point will disengage, but make it over the hill and i take over ... /pats car on the roof

being a manual though it will only rev so much then just give up, bloody gearbox cant even change its own gears !!! lol

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I often use the accelerator to keep the speed dropping off at the start of a hill
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post