Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 6-speed manual conversion

Just wondering if anyone has any info on converting an AU Falcon I6 auto to a T56 6-speed manual? Is it possible? I believe that is the gearbox that is fitted to the BA MkII XR6 Turbo, therefore should physically fit into an AU. Is it possible to edit the auto ecu to run a manual using the SCT Flash Tuner? I am almost certanly now going to keep my car and convert it to manual, so i am just looking at my options of which box would be the best to use.

Evan

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
bomber
Banned

From what ive seen there is guy converting a eb I6 i think to a 6 speed from a BA xr6 the XR6T has a different input shaft. the things you need to consider are its a Hudraulic clutch mechanism used on it. you are going to need a custom tailshaft im pretty sure, a custom crossmember for the box and the shift placement might be different as they are apparantly a longer gear box. The NA Xr6 box should bolt straight upto the block tho which is a good start. I will be doing this conversion at some stage next year
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

this guy has done it, link: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=98460
he went through mal wood and got a complete packege.
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So i would need a 6-speed from a BF XR6 N/A then instead? My guess is that these gearbox's are quite expensive even second hand. Would it really be worth it over a 5-speed, or is there not much difference? From what i have read in reviews of the BA, the 6-speed is a much nicer gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD_AU3_XR8
this guy has done it, link: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=98460
he went through mal wood and got a complete packege.
I saw that, but then i also went onto the Mal Wood website and they want over $7000 for the complete conversion. That sounds pretty excessive to me. Besides, they are over in Western Australia.
Old 18-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
bomber
Banned

I know a guy got one from a BF XR6 for $2200um its only going to be worth you while if you want something to take a bit of power as the T5 will only take around 200rwkw depending on driving style of course what has these boxes ar rated to hole around 630hp i think
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

yeah unless your going to turbo your car and get some serious power out of it its probably not worth it, just get a 5 speed you can pick them up for around $500.
i wouldn't think thered be much difference between a bf xr6t box and a bf xr6 n/a box except for abit of toughening?
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i remember reading a full guide to doing it in Ford Performance Mag? years ago
Old 18-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, as i said, just looking at ideas for which gearbox to get at this stage. I was even thinking about the possibility of getting a slightly older T56 out of some sort of HSV. It is the same gearbox as the Falcon is it not? Would probably be a bit cheaper, the only downside is they have pretty bad gear ratios from what i have read. But if a T5 is going to be sufficient and easier, then i guess that the way to go.

Evan
Old 19-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

it would be interesting to find what other options there are....what about a getrag? or are they outrageously priced?
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they are what i think they are, then my guess is they would be insanely priced and extremely rare. Getrag gearboxes are in BMW's and Jaguar's arnt they? That would be an awesome conversion, but worth more than the car itself! I am most likely going to just end up going with a 5-speed from an XR6 of some sort.
Old 19-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unless you are planning on some serious HP, or activities that may abuse a T5, then a T56 is a bit of an overkill. Thats not to say that you wont destroy a T5 either.

Mal Wood is located in Warwick, Qld. They do send all their conversion kits which include everything.

11" Flywheel, Clutch, Speedo Box, Pedal, 2 Piece Tailshaft, Re-Conditioned Box, Sandwich Plate, Shifter, Gearknob, Gear Boot, Rear gearbox mount, Clutch Cable... everthing is included.

(ps, i am pretty sure its an 11" flywheel. or it may be a 10.5".)

I also believe that earlier commodores, (vn group a) had a 6 speed Getrag box, which i dont think bolts up too easy, or if at all.

Turbo and N/A boxes IIRC have the same strength, although there are rumors the ratios are different.

Get a 5 speed from any AU 6cyl, and you will be right.