Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Storing auto tranny for a while, anything I should do?

Well, finally got the tranny out of the EL today (well, the buyer of my motor did anyway )

I was planning on putting this tranny and the hi stall straight into the AU, but have decided to hold off for at least the next few months.

So, I'm wondering, is there anything special I need to do to ensure the tranny stores ok? I've heard something about rolling it around every now and then to keep the clutch plate wet with fluid - unfortunatley though, most of the fluid has been drained. Hope this doesn't cause problems?

Appreciate any advice anyone has to give!

Thanks,
Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'll be doing the same tomorrow with an NC tranny. The only thing I've been told is to ensure there's plenty of fluid in it so the parts don't rust.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have stored them for up to a year no problems, obviously keep them in a shed or something not out in the rain.
There is enough left over oil covering things for it not to rust. The only things I do are plug up all the holes like oil pipes, speedo, wiring connectors, input and output shafts etc with some pieces of rag then tape the rag over the holes so it can't fall out.
Never thought about rolling them around...be careful as oil will come out the overflow if you go too far.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Cool. How do you keep the fluid in it though? Once the tailshaft is out, doesn't all the fluid come out the back?

I have got a tailshaft I could cut the front section off and use to plug it up though.
Old 20-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't cut the shaft, that's too much effort, just knock the uni out and then stick the yoke in the extension housing. If you need it the tailshaft can then be reused by just putting a new uni in.

I've also seen transmissions fully wrapped in gladwrap when stored. Keeps the moisture out of them.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if dont have a spare yoke get a bit of plastic and tape it tightly around the extension housing it will do the job.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive neva had a prob with storin them and i prity much drain most the iol out the yoke hole then put the yoke back in seal up the holes to the oil cooler and the breather and then sit them , with the torque conveter in them , on their bell housing

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. For now, I've put it out on the back porch under cover, rags over all the lines and plugs and then covered in plastic. When I get my converter back next week, I'll whack it back on, and then put it away properly in the shed for a while....