Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Default AU I/II/III suspension and brakes, which is better.

I'm thinking of making an AU race car and need to know which of the AU series had the most effective suspension/brake package. I'm going to be racing in the stock class so I can't upgrade any of the factory package. Ideally I would like to buy an XR6 stat writeoff (can't run a v8 without moving into the performance category) as this gives me a good all round base package (gotta run stock engine) so any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Old 19-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

AUII & III have the better twin piston brake set up, also try to get one with IRS. AUI won't pull you up in any sort of a hurry.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU1 as stated only had single pot callipers but thiner rotors too thus less cooling and shorter life under extreme conditions such as motor sport AU2/3 is the go
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Ok, sweet.

Just for the record, what difference is there between the AU II/III falcon and XR's? did they get bigger rotors or what not?
Old 19-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rotors are the same but bigger calipers the you can check tis out here http://www.bendix.com.au/Text/114436...duct-Catalogue
Old 19-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
AYE YOU
falconboy101

guys wot is irs im new to the newer falcons.

im learning
Old 20-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
rotors are the same but bigger calipers the you can check tis out here http://www.bendix.com.au/Text/114436...duct-Catalogue
No, there's no difference between standard AU2/3 Forte brakes and standard XR6/8 brakes. They are all the same. Only bigger if you got premium, and bigger still with Brembo package.

IRS is Independent Rear Suspension. Basically, the diff is bolted solid to the chassis, and it has drive shafts and suspension arms that move independently of each other.

Standard rear diff/suspension is a watts link setup which is a live axle (solid diff) supported by swing arms and a watts linakge to keep the sideways movement to a minimum. The whole diff moves up and down.

The IRS is more tuneable for handling, but comes at a 70kg weight penalty.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

JC is right about the brakes, there is no difference in caliper size unless youre talking about premiums or brembos. Premiums run the pbr C4 caliper IIRC.
Old 20-06-2007, 02:42 AM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
No, there's no difference between standard AU2/3 Forte brakes and standard XR6/8 brakes. They are all the same. Only bigger if you got premium, and bigger still with Brembo package.

IRS is Independent Rear Suspension. Basically, the diff is bolted solid to the chassis, and it has drive shafts and suspension arms that move independently of each other.

Standard rear diff/suspension is a watts link setup which is a live axle (solid diff) supported by swing arms and a watts linakge to keep the sideways movement to a minimum. The whole diff moves up and down.

The IRS is more tuneable for handling, but comes at a 70kg weight penalty.
sorry JC but accroding to Bendix they are different that is why i put the bendix link there if everyone to see the 2 pads. The XR pad is much bigger, here are the listings AUII, AUIII XR6, XR8 (Tickford)DB1353, All models Except Tickford DB1375 . The premiun brakes get the bigger rotor but the standard XR has different callipers click on the bendix link above to confirm this there is no difference in the S1 XR though they just get the fred flintstone brakes on the forte that everyone is so fond of
Old 20-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true the IRS is heavier but in a race situation will give better handling
Old 20-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #11
Sledgehammer
Banned

I will disagree here with some of the above, for circuit racing get the live axle (solid diff) and not the IRS set up. Less weight is the first bonus and you will be quicker with a live axle, ask any race driver this and you will get the same advise. I would use the XR6VCT version and then replace the IRS, provided it met the rules. Have raced around Sandown in both IRS and non IRS. IRS is easier but heaps slower...
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Go live axle for racing. Darryl Coon's mighty XR6 (it was beating XR8s and SS before being nobbled with weight and a 40000rpm limit) was live axle.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
sorry JC but accroding to Bendix they are different that is why i put the bendix link there if everyone to see the 2 pads. The XR pad is much bigger, here are the listings AUII, AUIII XR6, XR8 (Tickford)DB1353, All models Except Tickford DB1375 . The premiun brakes get the bigger rotor but the standard XR has different callipers click on the bendix link above to confirm this there is no difference in the S1 XR though they just get the fred flintstone brakes on the forte that everyone is so fond of
That site is slightly confusing, the listing you are refering to is for the optional Tickford Premium set up. Also no AUI XR got the twin piston set up standard IIRC.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I did look it up just to confirm, and you are referring to the Premium (Tickford) Pads. Standard AU2/3 XR brakes use the 1375s. Premiums use the 1353s.

Just because the Bendix site isn't listed properly/clearly doesn't make me wrong. I know what pads these take as I have fitted them to an AU2 XR.

****edit**** What RedXR said!!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 20-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Do yourself a favor. If you are serious about going racing, & want to race an AU go to the australian saloon car site. Or My105 You can get a fully race ready AU saloon car for less than $20000. Already got big brakes, set up suspenion. You can now get the EA/B cars for less than $9000 ready to go. Theres no way you could build a car of this sepc for that sort of money..
Just remove the cage & put an exhaust & some rego on it & away ya go...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I did look it up just to confirm, and you are referring to the Premium (Tickford) Pads. Standard AU2/3 XR brakes use the 1375s. Premiums use the 1353s.

Just because the Bendix site isn't listed properly/clearly doesn't make me wrong. I know what pads these take as I have fitted them to an AU2 XR.

****edit**** What RedXR said!!
correct.
Old 20-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
AYE YOU
falconboy101

how would you know if u got it, haha sounds very stupid me asking,

my car is a 2002 ford falcon au sr series 3

did they come with irs
Old 20-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy101
how would you know if u got it, haha sounds very stupid me asking,

my car is a 2002 ford falcon au sr series 3

did they come with irs
Chances are it hasn't got it, as it was an option on some models, and standard on XR6 VCT and XR8.

Easy way to tell is to look underneath and see if you have a full diff or not.

Old 20-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
AUII & III have the better twin piston brake set up, also try to get one with IRS. AUI won't pull you up in any sort of a hurry.
I nearly wet myself sometimes, thinking the old girl wont slow down.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Do yourself a favor. If you are serious about going racing, & want to race an AU go to the australian saloon car site. Or My105 You can get a fully race ready AU saloon car for less than $20000. Already got big brakes, set up suspenion. You can now get the EA/B cars for less than $9000 ready to go. Theres no way you could build a car of this sepc for that sort of money..
Just remove the cage & put an exhaust & some rego on it & away ya go...
It's not that serious kinda racing, check the video's Here, it's a little more backyard than 20k! Mind you, the performance class (where I plan to be in a season or 2) is deadset crazy. I went for a ride in the #75 car (it's gone through a few changes since the photo/video were taken) and it's downright scary, VK chassis, FC body on top, Toyota Soarer 2.5lt turbo with a Nissan 300z IRS rear end.

Plan is to run the 4.0lt for a season or 2 and then drop in a Clevo and hit the performance class. There is a guy running an AU1 with a clevo in it last season, there's no pictures of it on the site, but he's really cookin! 400-450hp on avgas and rings her neck to 7-7.5k rpm on the straight ... and all that on a 4MA crank, standard 302 rods and hypereutectic pistons. It's been prepped well and has been running like that for 10 years he told me.

Lotsa sweet info here guys, I'm scouring the net looking for an insurance writeoff, bingled or ex-taxi AU2 atm, there's no point buying a perfectly good car and butchering it. If anyone knows of one or 2 even, give me a PM!