Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #61
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Epica is a great car - its the only car you could let loose in a china store knowing it lacks the power to do any actual damage

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #62
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose10
Not to mention all my friends at school who HONESTLY BELIEVE the RODEO is AUSTRALIAN! and that just goes to show how ignorant some people are, they look at the badge and its automatically a holden
LOL. On my dad's 1989 Rodeo, the rocker cover still says Isuzu. It even came with an Isuzu keyring when dad bought it brand new! The only Holden parts on it are the badge in the grille and on the steering wheel

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #63
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by philxy351
Anyone with brains knows barra is better :P. The holden supporters with brains will tell you that fords barra is better but most holden supporters have no clue at all and just follow the majority. Everyone knows that holden has been whopping ford in the V8 department for years but u dont hear many ford fans trying to tell you different. In my experience just with my friends anyone with any mechanical smarts about them follow ford and the kids with no idea support holden with no claims to back up their argument except for the usual we sell more cars so we must be better and we win bathurst all the time. Now we can see how this has and will continue to snowball if generations of kids grow up on this beleife. The V8 gettin smashed by holdens in magazines reviews and on the steet and the lack of bathurst wins is whats affecting our image at the moment especially in the eyes of young people and people that believe a v8 supercar is as falcon or commodore as the one sitting in your driveway. I think bathurst is a main one as if you ask, nearly everyone will tell you who won bathurst but only the followers will be able to tell you who won at eastern creek etc.. bathurst wins would sell alot of cars to the majority i think (the majority being people with no idea about cars) and maybe convert some of the kids these days to ford.
Your absolutely spot on mate!

My sister has a gay friend who bought a VT series 1 commodore and the bloke promptly told me that his VT could flog my Fairmont because it handled better cos it's heavier. I didn't know where to start the fact that my car is heavier or that a heavier car doesnt neccesarily handles better.

I've also been bagged out by a Holden enthusiast becaust I don't have a V6 cos V stands for "very powerful".

I also hate those who hate Fords with no explanation just "because their crap".

The XR6 Turbo is the Falcons saviour though as you are wrong about V8's and bathurst being influential. The big influence now is the ricer scene with the word "turbo" being more important than "V8".

I have met countless young ricers who have respect for the XR6 Turbo and the results of this will be seen in the coming years. Ford is suffering at the moment because of the generation that grew up under the days when Ford didn't have a V8 but now a generation is growing up with the "fully sick" XR6 Turbo!!!

Can you imagine what would happen if they released a twin turbo..........
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #64
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by philxy351
Anyone with brains knows barra is better :P. The holden supporters with brains will tell you that fords barra is better but most holden supporters have no clue at all and just follow the majority. Everyone knows that holden has been whopping ford in the V8 department for years but u dont hear many ford fans trying to tell you different. In my experience just with my friends anyone with any mechanical smarts about them follow ford and the kids with no idea support holden with no claims to back up their argument except for the usual we sell more cars so we must be better and we win bathurst all the time. Now we can see how this has and will continue to snowball if generations of kids grow up on this beleife. The V8 gettin smashed by holdens in magazines reviews and on the steet and the lack of bathurst wins is whats affecting our image at the moment especially in the eyes of young people and people that believe a v8 supercar is as falcon or commodore as the one sitting in your driveway. I think bathurst is a main one as if you ask, nearly everyone will tell you who won bathurst but only the followers will be able to tell you who won at eastern creek etc.. bathurst wins would sell alot of cars to the majority i think (the majority being people with no idea about cars) and maybe convert some of the kids these days to ford.
**** mate you summed it up perfectly. I've noticed a definate trend with the people I know; the mechanics and people with a decent mechanical understanding are into fords. The Holden dudes are also mates but are a different type they like their cars but have no idea whats going on and will do the routine Fords are **** just cause their **** with no explanation. It is almost guaranteed you ask anyone with no idea they say they prefer Holden and Fords are ****. They will also say the Holdens all Aussie unlike the Ford. I credit this to Holdens clever marketing. Ford need to pick up their act something cronic.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #65
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I also hate those who hate Fords with no explanation just "because their crap".
Same thing can be said about alot of people who hate Holdens, and say they're crap, because they're Holdens, and believe me I've had to put up with the dribble before.

No point in fighting back though. Anyone with an IQ much higher than the average bogan has actual reasons why a certain car maybe *****, crap however you want to put it. People who say so, and so is crap because it's a so, and so generally don't deserve a response, which is why they should be cleansed from the gene pool.

Also I agree that the Barra is better than the Alloytec, actually I think Ford has always nailed Holden in the 6 department.

As my sig says the best 6 Holden ever had, wasn't theirs anyway.

All this coming from a VL owner.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #66
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Same thing can be said about alot of people who hate Holdens, and say they're crap, because they're Holdens, and believe me I've had to put up with the dribble before.

No point in fighting back though. Anyone with an IQ much higher than the average bogan has actual reasons why a certain car maybe *****, crap however you want to put it. People who say so, and so is crap because it's a so, and so generally don't deserve a response, which is why they should be cleansed from the gene pool.

Also I agree that the Barra is better than the Alloytec, actually I think Ford has always nailed Holden in the 6 department.

As my sig says the best 6 Holden ever had, wasn't theirs anyway.

All this coming from a VL owner.
It's good to see some sense from the other side I am also perfectly sensible enough to admit that Holden has the better eight.

VL's are a funny thing from a time when Holden was trying to make their cars more Jap.

Not many people know this but Honda designed the Falcons 250 crossflow head.

Anyway back to the main subject my missus summed it up perfectly after watching the Holden Epica ad "people who believe this crap deserve to have a crap car"
Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #67
Falcon Freak
Banned

May 07 Daewoo sales (May 06)

Barina 928 (806) +15.1%
Viva 605 (1,083) - 44.1%
Captiva 971 (0) N/A
Epica 480 (0) N/A

2007 YTD Daewoo sales (2006 YTD)

Barina 5,246 (6,010) -12.7%
Viva 3,521 (4,776) - 26.3%
Captiva 3,966 (0) N/A
Epica 659 (0) N/A

Although Barina had a good month, both it and the Viva are down on 2006. Where will the Captiva and Epica be in 12 months time when the initial sales surge passes?

23% of Holden's sold in May 2007 were made by Daewoo (2,984 out of 12,902).

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #68
robertjp

I thought the first alloy heads were designed by Yamaha, either way not much worng with that.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #69
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak

23% of Holden's sold in May 2007 were made by Daewoo (2,984 out of 12,902).

Thats a scary stat! Good on them though, hope it bites them in the a$$ one day (that day just needs to be soon before the Koreans work out how to build cars..LOL).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #70
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp
I thought the first alloy heads were designed by Yamaha, either way not much worng with that.
Nope, Honda.

Have this book on "75 years of Ford in Australia written bout 2000" it's a really interesting read.

Apparently Ford Oz went to Mazda for help first but Mazda was deemed too "conservative" Honda was a really big help and worked well with Ford Oz.

Really good read.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #71
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Thats a scary stat! Good on them though, hope it bites them in the a$$ one day (that day just needs to be soon before the Koreans work out how to build cars..LOL).
Holden is now the second largest seller of Korean made cars:

Hyundai 4,219
Holden 2,984
Kia 1,563
SSangyong 200

FF
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #72
perrys

Its a shame that Holden cant be the No.1 Korean brand in Oz, I mean they have so much more dealerships than Hyundai does!
perrys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #73
Falcon Freak
Banned

June 07 Daewoo sales (June 06)

Captiva 1,066 (0) N/A
Barina 982 (1,270) -22.7%
Viva 685 (1,154) - 40.6%
Epica 437 (0) N/A

2007 YTD Daewoo sales (2006 YTD)

Barina 6,228 (7,280) -14.5%
Captiva 5,032 (0) N/A
Viva 4,206 (5,930) - 29.1%
Epica 1,096 (0) N/A

June new car sales are up 9% on last year. 2007 YTD is up 8.5% on last year. So why are the Barina and Viva going so poorly?

22% of Holden's sold in June 2007 were made by Daewoo (3,170 out of 14,256).

Holden is now the second largest seller of Korean made cars:

Hyundai 5,023
Holden 3,170
Kia 2,330
SSangyong 180

FF
Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #74
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only thing that helps me sleep at night is that all my friends who like Holden work at Coles, Dominos or are on the dole.

All my friends who like Fords are either at university or doing a diesel mechanic or fitter/turner apprenticeships.
I don't think that is a fair statement. My brother is doing well and he refused to get a BA, preferring a VY. He never worked at Coles or Dominoes.

I don't think anybody's choice of car is any recipe for success in life.

But I am sure that what you meant to say is that people who know something about the Australian motoring industry prefer Ford over Holden because Holden's V6 is not as good as Ford's Barra, and because of their natural aptitude for gaining and retaining knowledge, are able to engage in study or employment in a more advanced field than pack followers who I agree do follow Holden.

People still poo their undies when I tell them that the only Australian Holden is the VE Commodore. Mass confusion.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #75
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard somebody ring Paul Gover today and ask what he thought of the 07 Barina and he said "dont buy one" lol Not bad for a HRT man

Turning sour fast IMHO
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #76
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Don't even try to explain to a Holden enthusiast that the Barra is a better design to the Alloytec unless you wan't to cop a lot of abuse.

The only thing that helps me sleep at night is that all my friends who like Holden work at Coles, Dominos or are on the dole.

All my friends who like Fords are either at university or doing a diesel mechanic or fitter/turner apprenticeships.

A few years down the track who is going to be looking in the new car section and who is goin to be struggling to buy a ex-fleet 3rd hand car with 200,000 on the clock?
I wouldn't be too sure about that, yes the falcon has more tprque and uses less fuel, but its a large detuned engine, thats what you get, every kw increase will show more fuel consumption, where as the commodore is a modern smaller engine.

The alloytec is made in 2.8, 3.2 & 3.6, but is designed for those and 3.8 and 4.0. If they put the alloytec 4.0 into production as a 200kw engine, im sure the torque figure would be close to the falcons, and not to mention better fuel economy, also because the big VE wouldn't be carted around by a ****y 330nm which would make it easier on the engine. 90% o the alloytec's torque is available across the majority of the rev range, to me thats well designed, they just need a bit more torque there t make i worth while.

And to he who said the commodore will be rooted next year when the orion comes out with increase power and that fuel consumption will ruin the commodore, don't forget direct injection, over 200kw and DI also makes fuel economy better. Time will tell but I don't think it will be as bad as you say it will. Not to mention the 550nm 3.0 turbo diesel which I think if advertised properly (and we all know holden is good at that) might just come close to alloytecs sales if readily available throughout the range.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #77
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Stoney, whilst you have some salient points I think there is a couple of things you may have missed. Firstly, the I6 is several generations ahead of the alloytech in terms of development; ford have honed this engine to produce the goods on a frugal amount of petrol as well as managing to keep class leading torque above the competitors by no less than 15-20%.

This is not a small accomplishment. Furthermore, Holden have only managed to keep up with fords "complicated" designs by going for much larger capacities ie LS6 etc. Whilst I agree that Holden will get direct injection which will contribute to fuel consumption; so will Ford - and they already have their fuel consumption down to 10.2 l/100k.

Just today I saw on that crap show "Test Drive" they had the daewoo epica and they talked about its frugality; 9.3l/100k - wow. Problem is it's a 6 with only 115kw of power hauling a 1680kg car. The point is, that Ford own holden on their develoipment of the 6 when they can accomplish those sorts of figures. Oh, and let's not forget that they are also reliable too.

Quote: