Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
mrwinky

Default Thermo Fan Problems

I have a AU series 1 forte 4L, whose thermo fans aren’t running, I've tested the fans and they both work, I've tested the relays and they all work, all 3 of them, the fuses are ok, I tricked the computer into thinking it was running very hot (took sensor off back of the motor and placed cable across joints and nothing happened other than gauge reaching hot and warning sound going off, all the wires and that look ok, and neutral works fine on the 4 pin connector. But I get no volts from the others going to neutral. If I short over all the relays with a piece of wire only 1 fan works the one closest to the relays, drivers side, the other fan doesn’t come on, I'm guessing there is some sort of switch controlling the path somewhere else but don’t know where, is there a wiring diagram around for this? I check the wiring diagrams on the site but couldn’t see it there any ideas?

Any help much appreciated.

Jono

mrwinky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like you have tested this extensively as well ... the only think i can think of is the connection back to the PCM for this.

Have you tried with another set of thermos????

How did your current fans???? did you use the connector to the loom ... or the put power to the fan motors direct???
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check to see it there is power on the coil of the relays and the input of the relays. if there is the fault is in the wiring from the relays to the thermos. if the power is missing from the coil the fault is either the wiring from the ECU or the ECU itself if you jump a wire from the battery to the coil the fan should run in this situation. if there is no power on the input contact of the relay the fault is the between the fans and the fuse box
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
mrwinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Sounds like you have tested this extensively as well ... the only think i can think of is the connection back to the PCM for this.

Have you tried with another set of thermos????

How did your current fans???? did you use the connector to the loom ... or the put power to the fan motors direct???
Ill have a look at the PCM connection, no i havent tried another set of thermos, i connected the fans straight from the battery didnt think to try from the loom, dont have a wiring diagram so i dont know if ill have the right cable before putting 12v down it. Where is the PCM located and whats the easiest way to get to it?

And Au3xr6, i shorted over the relays and only 1 fan worked, there is power on all sides of the relays, fan 1 to 3, shorting fan 1 turns on only 1 fan(drivers side), shorting fan 2 and 3 dont do anything which made me believe that either a cable is stuffed or the computer hasnt closed the switches for it to work... so to try and trick the computer into working i tripped the temp sensor on the rear of the block to read hot which still didnt work, and one question what does the sensor on the coolant control?, i shorted it out to test as well but nothing happened, no warning alarms or anything when shorted or disconnected.
Old 23-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have actually got my ute hot (even with all fans on high speed) ... and the warning light doesn't come on until the needle hits the red zone ... in other words ... WAY TOO HOT ... that's about 118 deg C.

PCM is in the passenger footwell ... behind the kick panel.

I actually had my auto elec guy re-wiring my thermos to turn on high-speed as soon as I turn A/C on Fan speed 1 ... works very well in Summer now. They had a decent wiring diagram for the fans and relays and connection back to the PCM ... but it went over a couple of pages in their book though ... quite details ... just a lot of tracing. Not sure on the pins that it uses though.

In the end though ... if you need new thermos ... www.ozeparts.com.au has then aroud the $134 mark from memory ... pretty cheap. I think Darren at FTG has them for $100 if he has any left.
Old 23-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
mrwinky

do you know which book it came out off?
Old 23-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

It looked like a workshop manual with all sorts of wiring diagrams in it ... all the diagrams were large fold out pages though.
Old 24-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
mrwinky

Any one know what the sensor on the coolant container, driver side, egg crate looking thing?
Old 24-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That sensor on the header tank is for coolant level.