Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 03-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Default used mondeo

he lads, need some help and advice... my wife's car was wiped off last friday, rear ended.
she likes the look of the mondeo, older models. but i dont know anything at all about these babies.....
would it be a good everday car?? are they a good car????
any help will be greatly apreciated.
cheers
tony (orsm5l)

Old 03-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

they are nice everyday car yes...the key is to look for one with as low KM as possible obviously.

not much to say about them mate. they never took off really. if you are lucky enouhg, try and get the ST24. they are great cars and are the pick of the crop...

sorry cant be any more hlep dude. maybee sumone else would.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

thank u man
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

+1 for ST24, dont even bother with any other version. The ST has good power yet is still good on fuel. Nice leather interior, kit, rims etc etc.

If I wasn't getting a ute soon that would be my next purchase. Most I have seen for sale have done less than 100,000k's aswell.

In summary, ST24 or nothing IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

cheers
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Definitely the ST24 is the one to have... V6 powerplant, 125kw and 220Nm worth. Styling is great, and interior should be roomy enough. Great handler etc.

Problems could be with servicing, parts and any issues with stuff going wrong in the car. I'm not sure if the Mondeo would be too problematic, but with the Cougar more often than not, dealer's have no idea how to identify and correct problems because the cars are so rare/uncommon. Parts will generally be expensive, and I've heard the 105000km service (105 in a cougar, maybe 100 for a mondy) is also an expensive and tiresome task to complete.

Pricewise I think the ST24's are down near the 10k mark?

Dan
Old 04-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
OZXR4
formally ozmondeo

i am the only member with a mk1 mondeo and it has just clocked up 200000km and it still has heaps of power out a 4 cylnder. the ride is a bit ifie. but new suspension will fix that up. the ride is very good i can do almost 700km on a tank of petrol, the only letdown is the replacement parts are very expensive as it is a european car. but if you can find one that has low kms and is at a good price dont look back.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

thanks guys 4 all your input
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
97Mondeo
Starter Motor

Default Bad Forum Form

Hi there ORSM5L,

I know this is really bad forum form : , but I just thought I would have another look on here, as I have done a fair few times, but only as a guest, and I cound your question.

I have a 97 Mondeo LX (the base model 4cyl) for sale with 97,000kms on the clock. I bought it 12 months ago from my parents who bought it new in 97. I have just had a promotion at work, and now have a company car, and was looking to sell the Mondy.

It's white, and in immaculate condition. Not sure where Caroline Springs is, but it's probably not in Sydney.

Price is negotiable at about $6k.

Richard
97Mondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

yeh, Caroline Springs is down here in Mexico hehehe. ORSM5L, the Mondeo's are a great car. If you can find yourself an ST24, that would be even better. My Cougar is basically the ST24 with a different body (and a few extra things). Engine wise they are the same. The Duratec is a great engine and holds together very well. But yeh, look for low k's if you can and all the usual checks (vehicle history, service history etc etc)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Two dealer used ST24's in Vic

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...&Nne=20&D=st24

$9695 and $12990

p.s And yes 97Mondeo...very poor form to try and flog your car, in the wrong section, with your first post!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post