Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Default AU Left side vents?

Does anyone know what is involved in replacing the left side dash vents in a AUII XR8, i called my local Ford Service center and they told me its a $90 job if i supply the vent, i got hold of a second hand vent off ebay its as good as new and by looking at it there is 2 screws under the airbag pad on the dash.
i just want to double check that these guys at ford are telling me the right thing when they say the whole airbag has to be removed to replace the vents.

once i said i wanted to book the car in for a service but i thought 90 bucks was a bit rich to replace the vent he said "just bring the part along when you get the car serviced and they will whack it in a bit quicker for you".

can someone let me know plz.
cheers.

SLYXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Yup your right. There are two screws behind the airbag. However, the airbag is held in by 4 break once clips(which do break when you take it out) and they will need to be replaced as well.

All you need to do is disconect the battery for 5 min (cause your playing with airbags), then wrap a screw driver in a cloth, and shove it inbetween the bottom of the airbag and the dash at each coner and pry upwards. Once all the clips are broken, withdraw the airbag from the dash and disconnect the wiring connectors.

I reckon this would take no more than half an hour.
Another thing is, that in my car (no passenger airbag) i've done this and the panel will just sit where it's ment to without the clips, so i'm not going to replace them. But if you've got an airbag it would be a good idea

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

thanks for your reply mate,

what your telling me is pretty much what the guy told me that i got the vent off he said it wasnt a hard job, but when talking to ford they made it out to be a 3 days adventure lol.

do you think 90 bucks is alright as there is clips that need replacing?

i am hoping when he said bring the vent with you and we will whack it in quicker for you meant he will not be charging me 90 bucks, i am a bit scared to try this myself as easy as it sounds, if i let the bags off or break something im sure my missus will break my neck
Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

The four plastic clips once broken are about $2.50 each roughly
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Umineko
Karasu

You don't need to remove the airbag to remove the vent, yes the screws are under the cover and yes you will have to replace the clips that hold the cover in place but if you leave the ignition off you can pry the cover off, replace the vent and replace the clips without disturbing the airbag at all, I have done this several times
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

ok nice,
so nothing will set the air bag off if i was to attempt this?
i can pick up the clips from ford parts shop yeah?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave the positive lead off the battery for 5 mins before you do it.
Nothing is likely to set it off, but better safe than sorry.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

ok no worries, thanks for your help guys ;)
Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
miitch
orgasmic.

Description: Clip Air Bag
Part No : AU F04B26 A
QTY : 4

List price $2.73ea

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
SLYXT
FG xr6 Ute.

Thanks for that info guys,
i called the service center and told him i had the part number for the clips and had found out how to do the job he said to me he would look after me as i was getting the service with them and all and sais he would do it for $20 so i agreed for them to do it
i could just imagine the amount of people that would have just paid the 90 bucks and let them do it.
thank god for FF.com.au ;)