Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Advice for fitting AU2 XR Bodykit

Im after some tips on fitting an AU2 XR bodykit (the tickford one) mainly re: the side skirts. The front pods and rear skirt are pretty self explanatory but I cant figure out with the side skirts where I should be drilling the screws into (bottom of the sill panel?)

The last kit I fitted was an EF XR one and we drilled into the (jacking part?) underneath the sill panel.

Any tips/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

sikaflex. lots of sikaflex.
Old 18-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yep lots of Sikaflex is defnitely on the menu, but nothin beats the added security of a pack of self tappers!
Old 18-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

of course. well you've answered your own question now :P

self tappers + sikaflex.
Old 18-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

lol but the question wasnt what keeps the kit on, but where do people recommend I drill into the sill panel (if at all?)

I got the plastic 'screws' that hold the front of the side skirts + the inner wheelarch cover in place, with the kit; plus some (pretty short) self tappers. Thats why I was wondering where the drilling should be done, I dont see how the screws will reach from the sideies through to anything else.
Old 18-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

dont bother

just put the plastic xmas tree plugs in the front wheel arch, two screws in the back wheel arch, and then sikaflex along the top of the skirt that sits on the door sills (with sika also on the front guard piece and rear dog leg outside edges then tape down overnight)
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
FRD6RL
Go Frosty!

Sounds good Falkeen, thanks for the advice. I'll post pics when its all on.

:newangel: Mine:
06 WQ Fiesta Zetec
Sea Grey Duco
17" ST Wheels. Pirelli P-Zero-Nero Tyres. Leather ST Interior. Spoiler. Scuff Plates.

:evilking: His:
00 AU2 Falcon XR8
Liquid Silver Duco.
Bodykit. Bi-Plane Spoiler. Manual. 17" XR Wheels. Hankook K104 Tyres. Leather Interior.

P.S I LOVE Smilies :
FRD6RL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
XR6Stu

not to keep repeating otgher people... but LOTS of sikaflex urethane. ..HOWEVER... having said that, make sure you dont pump so much onto the side skirts that they sit out from the car, and created a 1 or 2 mm gap between the sill panel and the side skirt. And remember to tape the edges against the gaurd and rear 1/4 as tightly as possible until the urethan sets. (approx 3 - 4 hours solid)
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

So the kit went on, not the most fun I've had in a while...but the result was worth it! :

Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks sweet man!! do you know the exact name of the rear bar on the bodykit? cauz my panel beater is gonna try and get it in for me but not sure what the name of it is?
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks B83, I got all the bits from AWC Fibresports. I think the bar is called simply 'AU2 XR/Tickford rear skirt'

It's a nightmare to install, I would've rather bought a second hand rear bumper with the skirt already attatched.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Thanks B83, I got all the bits from AWC Fibresports. I think the bar is called simply 'AU2 XR/Tickford rear skirt'

It's a nightmare to install, I would've rather bought a second hand rear bumper with the skirt already attatched.
ahhh yeah! ive heard of heaps of ppl havin dramas with fitting them! my panel beater is gonna be gettin a genuine one for me!
BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post