Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #31
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd rather they spend the money on the next Falcon than to flog a dead horse. You'd be mad to buy a BF Falcon now, except for maybe the R specs.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I'd rather they spend the money on the next Falcon than to flog a dead horse. You'd be mad to buy a BF Falcon now, except for maybe the R specs.
If you follow the trends of car manufactures, a BFII would probably be a good buy as it'll be more reliable then Orion. Remember the BA was a problimatic car when people bought it, while the AUIII was a good solid reliable car.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #33
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think it would be flogging a dead horse, it would be enhancing brand image and getting people into a Ford. You need to promote your strengths and give people a reason to choose a Ford over the Commo, Toyota etc.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #34
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboz
I don't think it would be flogging a dead horse, it would be enhancing brand image and getting people into a Ford. You need to promote your strengths and give people a reason to choose a Ford over the Commo, Toyota etc.
No I still disagree, the brand awarness and popularity of the BA/BF falcon has already reached it's highest point, both sales and resale have begun to slide as the model reaches the end of it's shelf life.

In simple terms, I think the persuasion power of any new in-depth advertising for the Falcon would be quite low, I even suspect the Ghia revamp and advertising was probably too late for the model.

For sure FoMoCo needs to support the BF on the way out the door, but to spend millions on a TV advertising campaign in the midst of a Mondeo launch and with Orion less than 6 months away would be a criminal misallocation of scarce resources.

I'm also under the impression that most of the frustration of FFAU members towards the marketing department is centred on the low key approach to bragging about the Bathurst result. Yet again though, I doubt the old "what wins on saturday, sells on monday approach" is applicable here. The market has changed - at least for the moment, and Ford is on the back foot until the Orion is released. Had it been a Holden win I could probably see more reason to publicize the fact, given the VE is still in it's infancy.

Last edited by Dave_au; 22-10-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm also under the impression that most of the frustration of FFAU members towards the marketing department is centred on the low key approach to bragging about the Bathurst result. Yet again though, I doubt the old "what wins on saturday, sells on monday approach" is applicable here. The market has changed - at least for the moment, and Ford is on the back foot until the Orion is released. Had it been a Holden win I could probably see more reason to publicize the fact, given the VE is still in it's infancy.
Id agree... i think Ford has a hard time convincing themselves that spending $$ on Motorsport is worth the effort let alone aligning a Bathurst win with a mainstreem sales campaign.. Its been the same since that fateful letter dated 1/74 anouncing Ford's withdrawal from Motorsport here..
I think they're only involved today because Holden are and because of the 2 brand series..

Old 22-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #36
blaqxr6

I've said it before and i'll say it again.....Ford Australia have the most pathetic marketing campaigns........i tell you, if it wasn't for the classics and the dedicated Ford fans and enthusiasts, Ford Australia would be a distant memory.

How inspiring was that ad where people were standing on the cars, or that one featuring the ****y dealers...'talk to your ford dealer today', or that one with the poxy plasticine cyclops creature......i feel embarrassed when people make references to such crappy ads. If it wasn't for some of their cars being half decent, you wouldn't go near a Ford with a ten foot pole.

The company’s marketing general manager, Rebecca Martin...... “One of the first things I did when I started in the job (late in 2005), was to yank the Falcon Ute ads off TV,” Martin says.

-They were the ones with the hot girls being attracted to the ute- Genius marketing!!!!

“Women felt alienated by the ads, which had the impact of them considering Ford to be a blokey brand,” Martin says.

What a load of bs- by all means, target women where appropriate but don't forget blokes, tradies, motorsport fans, kids, dogs, gays, families, and the rest of the demographic.

See thats what Holden do so well. They sell some pretty ordinary stuff at times, but they sell it so damn well.

Ford's marketing general manager, Rebecca Martin...... what a joke.
blaqxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #37
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well how is this. I get a package last friday from Holden regarding the new VE ute.

Contence:

2 Motor show tickets
a DVD showing safety controls and an insight into development and 20mins on the skid pan.
2 Glossy Leaflets with all the info in it.

LOL You ave a Chic as a marketing manager who doesnt probably even like utes or V8s.

I am really over this aye. Good products let down by silly people.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #38
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
LOL You ave a Chic as a marketing manager who doesnt probably even like utes or V8s.

I am really over this aye. Good products let down by silly people.
I fail to see how the persons gender has even the slightest relevance...

Old 22-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #39
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there actually are idiots that beilive the v8 supercars are the actual road cars...

Take for an example, a bloke i know, huge holden fan, when ambrose took it home 2004 or 2005 i think it was, his comeback to me was, "You fords have newer technology then us, were using a older motor, just you fords wait till the 6 litre races, then you'll see!".

i couldnt help but laugh my nuts off at the fact he thought it was the BOSS5.4L VS GENIII 5.7

ah well
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #40
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
However if someone asked me to make a ad for Ford. I'd make a road safety campaign featuring Lowndes, Whincup, Johnson etc. giving road safety advice and then at the end they all use the catch phrase "It dosen't matter when you arrive at your destination, as long as you arrive." This coupled with some shots of the first 3 crossing the line and a couple of Holdens getting towed away would be gold.

Thats my 2 cents (GST not included)
When do you start work ... Best I've heard in years . Win/Win

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #41
blaqxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I fail to see how the persons gender has even the slightest relevance...
its not her gender i'm worried about.....its her agenda.
Old 22-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #42
blaqxr6

have a read of these......

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...rom=public_rss

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...407883147.html

They really do need to get back to basics....

1. tell me how good a Ford actually is.
2. promote a Ford as being sexy/practical/fashionable/dominant.
3. make me want one.
4. keep me feeling good about owning/driving one.

Its that simple.
Old 22-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #43
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anybody who remembers the days when Ford used to celebrate a Bathurst win the right way, will probably remember this television ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybc1H...elated&search=
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post