Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
brend0n
Starter Motor

Default why does ford marketing let the team down...

not sure if its already been discussed but anyways

in short:
awsome bathurst result, didn't see any ads come out from ford about this. why?

saw that "Holden was celebrating bathurst this month" anyone who was living under a rock and didn't know who won would think holden won. which can help add to the sales..

there have been lots of instances previously where ford marketing has dropped the ball and entire models have been lost...

why??

brend0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Falcon Freak
Banned

Ford has a marketing department?!?!?!?!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Because... actually i don't know...neither does anyone else including Ford FPV media team... IDIOT's the amount of people that have made ref to the media respnse and Bathurst isn't funny. Ford might aswell not bother going, because even when they win you will only know about it if you watched the event live. Like I said IDIOTS!!! Even my wife commented on it??????

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just another reason why holden sell more cars than ford....just look at there ads and look how many there are.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

because Ford Marketing have:

Decidophobia (it's real you know)..

and maybe they also have Arachibutyrophobia.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Falcon Freak
Banned

Were there ANY Ford advertisements during the Bathurst 1000 telecast? I saw heaps of Holden ads for the new ute but NOTHING from Ford. Useless prikks.

FF
Old 21-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It has to be their budget. Id guess theres plenty of good people in marketing at Ford that would run a muck given the funds.

Ford OZ are a classic example of why you should never let an accountant run your business.

Last edited by GTPete; 21-10-2007 at 11:01 PM.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Were there ANY Ford advertisements during the Bathurst 1000 telecast? I saw heaps of Holden ads for the new ute but NOTHING from Ford. Useless prikks.

FF
Well we here in Tassie, NW coast at least, got the Performance Inc ads during the telecast. But I agree with everyone else here, Ford are pretty pathetic with their marketing.

About 12 months ago I read an article (can't remember where) but it was a survey on the marketing/advertising of car makers here in Aus. Well Toyota were seen as the most aggressive Holden second then Ford third, at the same time (even now) it was a direct relation with sales. Toyota were in top spot, Holden second and Ford third. These weren't model specific just total sales.

Ford need to pull there finger out I think. They even have ther most marketable V8 Supercar driver with Craig Lowndes, why has it taken this long to name a car after him (albeit a run out limited edition get rid of cars model), why don't we see him a whole lot more. Look at Holden and Brocky.
Old 21-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Maybe they're hoping the cars will sell themselves...

I just realized the good ol' B-series Falcon turns 5 y.o. this month, maybe Ford should offer some sort of promotion to celebrate...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Maybe they're hoping the cars will sell themselves...

I just realized the good ol' B-series Falcon turns 5 y.o. this month, maybe Ford should offer some sort of promotion to celebrate...
Bye one, get one free!

FF
Old 21-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Dilan

In slight defence of Ford marketing, marketing is not only about producing advertisments it also incorporates product research, focus groups etc. And no I don't work in marketing.
Old 21-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a big machine ( marketing ) and hitting it with a hammer to make it work does not get long term results in most cases. It's about knowing where to tap it at the right time. I suppose you all own fords ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Bye one, get one free!
Haha, great idea Falcon Freak...everyone will wonder why there's so many Falcons on the roads when they're apparently not selling so well...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

oddly enough, Holden currently have an advertising campaign with free auto and some other crap to celebrate Bathurst..... says so in their ad :
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #15
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
oddly enough, Holden currently have an advertising campaign with free auto and some other crap to celebrate Bathurst..... says so in their ad :
Makes you wonder what they are celebrating? One of their cars making it to the finish???

But they are advertising and selling cars?

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #16
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you seen the new dismal ad for the F6 R spec
A white phoon just cruising thru a bland white back ground with a white helmet on the ground next to the car
A waste of 30 secs - the new holden morph ad with the ute is very good why can't ford do something 1/2 as good we need some political incorrect suff like the old VY SS Storm ute ad
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #17
swanee
spoolin!

Has anyone thought of contacting Ford?

I am sure they would like some feedback...

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they dont need to do that.. the goverment is doing it for them in the way of featuring smokin hot toxic XR sedans doin burnouts infront of girls, doing under the speed limit in speeding kills commercials..

yes they are doing a pathetic effort.. we should make ourselves heard somehow by Ford since we are their passionate consumers and should listen to us, not to fleet sales etc
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #19
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rule of thumb. Take someone that gets mildly excited about cars, but has absolute sweet F/A knowlege about cars in general, they will say they support Holden, they will tell you Holden are all Aussie, Holden invented the ute, Holden kick on the race track etc. the list goes on. I attribute this sort of attitude to Holdens huge effort in creating a awesome brand image and working hard with advertising etc. Holden would have been all over a 1,2,3 at Bathurst like a rash if things went their way, guaranteed, and everyone would know about it. Thus further enhancing their image to average joe.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #20
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They might be putting all the marketing dollars into developing campaigns for the Orion.

While not a stupid idea in itself, Ford Marketing has been so non-existant for so long that it's probably just a coincidence.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #21
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I hate Fords lack of advertising and marketing. It feels good to support the underdog. Its very Australian to let the results speak for themselves. No bullshit just results where it counts.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #22
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Well Ford had a golden opportunity with the whole blue wash 12&3 thing, but now 2 weeks later and a Holden win at indy , thats all fallen by the wayside now.

Oh well, It was only 30 yrs ago , or so, since Aussie Falcons went 12&3, maybe they'll be a little more prepared by the time the year 2037 comes around.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #23
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

It's only people like us that follow racing and such , that are interested in watching a "Good Ad" and we already know what we'd like . Sometimes the advertising $$$ would be wasted on "Fleet Buyers and A to B drivers " who would take no notice of them .

An Ad for a "You-Beaut Cricket bat" would be wasted on me .

Better if they put the money into Quality Control or Back Up warranty claims .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #24
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Better if they put the money into Quality Control or Back Up warranty claims .

Norm
And a bit of therapy for the dealers... Maybe its just car salesmen, but horrible, arrogant people. But thats only the few dozen that i have met. :togo:
- Noel.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #25
tony302coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Having a big machine ( marketing ) and hitting it with a hammer to make it work does not get long term results in most cases. It's about knowing where to tap it at the right time. I suppose you all own fords ?
I don’t have a degree in marketing, Isn’t marketing about making money.
Ford put money into racing teams as part of the long term marketing plan
(generates product interest ) The racing boys hit the nail on the head to deliver a 1,2,3 finish.
Come on the only mention of the 1,2 finish 30 years ago was the falcon coupe club,Cobra club and XAsuperbird.com 30th anniversary at Echuca
and at the end of the Bathurst telecast.
The half assed attempt at the start of the race with the new cobra pre-release, 3 cars on the track!!
Holdens new ute add campaign is fantastic (marketing It's about knowing when & where to tap) FORD need to buy the marketing department a flucan nail gun or poach the Holden marketing department!!!
Maybe the ford marketing department have got to complacent
tony302coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #26
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

The only adds that l seem to catch are the holden ute adds or about ten different toyota adds( kluger, corrolla, yaris, hilux, rav v6 etc. No coincidence that these are the big sellers.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #27
colossus
Secret Sleuth

What I don't get is that Ford invest all that money in competing in Bathurst soley for the aim of building the Falcons image. Then when all that investment pays off (in the form of a 1,2,3) they don't cash by telling us all about it ad nauseum. Even if they are waiting for Orion, the brand building exercise is still there.

If they are not going to advertise Bathurst wins, then why don't they pull out of the racing series and spend all that money in building better road cars.
Old 22-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #28
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus

If they are not going to advertise Bathurst wins, then why don't they pull out of the racing series and spend all that money in building better road cars.
I agree & personally I'd love to see it. Maybe like me Ford realise that advertising a Bathurst win is pointless while the cars they race have more to do with an AU than a BF.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #29
3vXT

Maybe Ford are ignoring the retards that believe there is anything other than general resemblance between the V8 supercars and the road cars they sort of look like.
The 'Win on sunday, sell on monday' thing only works for bogan idiots who think they are buying a race car.
Are the general public that stupid that they would choose one model over another, simply because of a 1, 2, 3 finish?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:01 AM   #30
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Hmmmm some interesting points made here but people should remember the following

The old VY SS ad doing circle work in the paddock caused a large panic in the advertising world that by showing hooning on TV it will encourage people to do it, so now that kind of thing is banned.

Somewhere else it was mentioned that Ford didn't have any advertising on during Bathurst. Another member was lucky enough to put that to Uncle Tom who explained that Ford already receive exposure on the track for 6 hours, it was a waste of thousands of dollars to gain a few extra seconds in the ad break which probably wouldn't have a greater effect than an actual win anyway.

However if someone asked me to make a ad for Ford. I'd make a road safety campaign featuring Lowndes, Whincup, Johnson etc. giving road safety advice and then at the end they all use the catch phrase "It dosen't matter when you arrive at your destination, as long as you arrive." This coupled with some shots of the first 3 crossing the line and a couple of Holdens getting towed away would be gold.

Thats my 2 cents (GST not included)