Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #31
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
I agree they should have tested the cars to see what they run on the day (same conditions etc etc), a properly run in Cobra should do better than 13.9 easily in the right conditions...especially given the 290 has!!!

I must say Id take a Cobra over any HSV, I still think they look way better but I dont think Ford are going to compete with HSV in handling in this car with that huge 8 upfront but if they want to the F6 R-Spec can. Orion will be much quicker but how they work around the heavy V8 in handling will be interesting but I am sure the Orion F6 will give the 307 GTS a hiding around a track!!
Seeing as Motor achieved 13.9 from an XR8 back in 2005 I would have thought much better results from the Cobra. Maybe the badges weigh it down and the stripes ruin the aerodynamics..........
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop complaining about Motor Mag. You all know how biased it is to HSV and holden. By purchasing it or your doing is supporting the magazine who supports the Lion. Stop buying the magazine and then you'll have nothing to complain about. Bad press is not bad press until it is actually read by someone.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #33
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Seeing as Motor achieved 13.9 from an XR8 back in 2005 I would have thought much better results from the Cobra. Maybe the badges weigh it down and the stripes ruin the aerodynamics..........
Different conditions, mean different results, ie temperature, road grip etc.
Dont know why you guys keep thinking these car mags are biased everytime they bring down the fords. GROW UP!, the ones ive read has em actually supporting the fords. fact is holden got the better car nowadays, live with it!
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #34
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
I'm not whinging over the outcome, I know Orion will bring better times. I am however just a bit lost on how they go about testing the cars. You'd think after the first power increase since 2002 on the FPV's ... They would at least run it down the quarter and see what it does. Not simply publish an estimate.

Id imagine there time witht teh cobra was limited, hence why they only ran the 'estimate' time....motor magazines schedual vs. fords press fleet schedual may have only been in alignment for the 1 or 2 days they had the car, and if the weather is a bit inclement, nowt use in running em down a strip, just gunna spin em up every time.....and give a *bad* looking time...

Imagine if they had! Id bet, 10 to 1, we would see posts on here on how crap the time was, they must be biased, why did they run it in the wet blah blah blah

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #35
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

FWIW running them in the wet doesn't prove a damn thing. The first street meet of the year here in Darwin was a bit wet but it had stopped falling so they let us do a few runs. The interesting thing was that everyone was running 19's and 20's because everyone had to lift the foot 3 or 4 times before getting traction. More power just meant lifting the foot more often. The one car that cracked a 16 was a 4WD X8.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
3vXT

^^^ X8?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #37
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah those Cross 8 things made by the big pussies....I mean with a lion badge.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #38
3vXT

ahh, i thought there was some bigger bmw X5
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #39
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Hmm, I believe there are just a lot of people on here who just can't accept the R8 is the better package IN MOTORS EYES. I'll admit the R8 is probably faster and that the R8 is stiffer - these are facts proved by statistics! The rest is up to the drive, and I'm fairly certain the 95% of this thread has not driven either of these cars(maybe a GT, but that doesn't have the R-Spec or 302). Me included. Motor simply voices their opinions from journo's who have been in the business for years - chances are they are off sometimes, but generally they are right. I mean, if you think you could do a better job, why don't you become one?
As for the "Trust HSV to Spoil FPV's party" I've heard various references where HSV was on the losing side. But then us Ford Fans wouldn't have noticed them would we?

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #40
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I just love the fact that they reckon you can buy a manual 5.6L AU III TS50 for $19000 - $21200, show me where you can buy them for this price and I'll buy two.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #41
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just read the said article and to be honest it was a fair piece of writing. I couldn't find any real bias in there. The praise was given to the FPV for the extra work that has been done to it, but still it lacked in certain areas. HSV got a bit of a bagging for their lack of work on the clubby, but it did get praised for being a decent car which I am bloody well sure it is.
I am sure the HSV is a better car than the FPV, so face the facts people. There is no bias by the magazine, it is an informed opinion, more so than the drivel on this forum at times.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #42
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Just got Street Fords and BJ has won a readers prize for a small photo and write up on his 590hp XR

saw it last week couldnt believe it !!!!! any of it

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #43
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

That mag is full of you know what. The only mags i buy now are Australian Street Rodding and CRUZIN. No critics, just enthusiast's who build their rides and enjoy them. The way it should be. OL SKOOL IS THE WAY TO GO, FTW.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #44
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
If my toilet had internet I would agree. I can't wait for the future.
Brilliant!
Old 15-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #45
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

What disappoints me about MOTOR is it seemed to me they weren't as biased as the other Mags until the Dreaded 'Twin plate clutch disaster', when Ford/FPV alledged them of flatshifting resulting in the failure. After a public apology by ford after the real fault was found, and by ford allowing them to have scoops of upcoming cars ie/ turbo terri and cobra L.E. they (Motor) still go way over the top. I understand that it's the jurno's opinion, and who cares awhat they say ( go drive the cars yourself!!!) but its all negative publicity and thats something FORD/FPV don't need.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #46
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

:togo: :togo: :togo:

Im sick of hearing this crap all the time... people never started these threads when they fell in favour of the blue oval.

They are soooo biased that they have a 3-4 pages in the same magazine of "How to make an FPV" with the 40th anniversary GT stuff :

If you really believe that they are so biased - Dont buy the mag and secondly - STOP POSTING CRAP IN HERE

We, just like these journo's, have opinions that doesnt make them or us right!

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #47
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
What disappoints me about MOTOR is it seemed to me they weren't as biased as the other Mags until the Dreaded 'Twin plate clutch disaster', when Ford/FPV alledged them of flatshifting resulting in the failure. After a public apology by ford after the real fault was found, and by ford allowing them to have scoops of upcoming cars ie/ turbo terri and cobra L.E. they (Motor) still go way over the top. I understand that it's the jurno's opinion, and who cares awhat they say ( go drive the cars yourself!!!) but its all negative publicity and thats something FORD/FPV don't need.
Got to disagree with you there. After the clutch problem was fixed the F6 had pretty much won every comparo until the arrival of the VE, although it did finish higher than GTS in bang for your buck
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #48
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

That's it boys, face it, the VE is a better car. When the BA first came out the Typhoon, XR6 auto and XR6 manual where 1,2 and 3 in the Australian leg of PCOTY.

The fact is now there out classed. The Fords engine is too tall, set up too high in the chassis and to far forwards and just doesn't have the guts to compete with the 6.0 L LS2. Plus the VE has shorter overhangs, a more sporty suspension set up and is much newer.

Don't get upset because they tell it like it is, just wait for the Orion to come out and i'm sure that Ford will be back on top.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Why can't you just admit that V8 Holdens/HSVs will always be better than V8 Fords/FPVs.
And ud know because u drive a fiesta, the above is just a stupid comment. T3 TE50 ring a bell? It beat HSV at everything it was good at.
I have believed that these so called car mags are a tad biased towards the general, but thats why i never buy them and i can get most of the info about aussie cars on FF.COM.AU
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #50
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
I have believed that these so called car mags are a tad biased towards the general, but thats why i never buy them and i can get most of the info about aussie cars on FF.COM.AU
yeah because the info provided here is always well thought out and impartial _
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #51
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
And ud know because u drive a fiesta, the above is just a stupid comment. T3 TE50 ring a bell? It beat HSV at everything it was good at.
That was then this is now. The General have come a long way since the VX days. HSV has invested more money in VE than VT, VX, VY and VZ put together. I dont know why it suprises people when an HSV car beats an FPV. I wouldnt call Motor biased, Fords have had there fair share of wins in the magazine.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post