Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
la2or
Your Hero

Default What's QLD law regarding your odometer not working?

Is there any laws that say the car is unroadworthy.

IN particular Im interested in that I have sibling learner drivers how I would record their driving times on this particular car since you are meant to record the speedo or odemeter.

Sorry i dont know the correct term for it whatever the thing that says you've trave 121,345 km so far a cumulative figure.

la2or is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what car is it? get it fixed... no point taking leaner drivers in it if you can't record their mileage.......

the only laws i know about odometers.. are you are not allowed to wind them back.... but it's ok to change clusters even if it has lower km's travelled....
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Wardo

I know you have to have a working odometer for a safety cert as I just got one, not sure why though. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 25-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a car is fitted with something from the factory then it has to work, and a speedo is in this category.
How is the learner going to know how fast they're going too?, and if you do your test in it I doubt they'll even consider it if the speedo doesn't work.
If it's an older type car check the cable hasn't worked its way out at both ends.
Old 25-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
If a car is fitted with something from the factory then it has to work, and a speedo is in this category.
How is the learner going to know how fast they're going too?, and if you do your test in it I doubt they'll even consider it if the speedo doesn't work.
If it's an older type car check the cable hasn't worked its way out at both ends.
I think the issue is with the odometer not the speedometer.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Casablanca
carburettor

yea its weird now with RWC's as Eu-Gennixx has said you can change the cluster but cant wind back sounds stupid but it has to be there to record how many k's youve done pretty much for servicing
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
Blast2

Default odometer not work

Hi, think you will have to get odometer fixed or replaced. As you are teaching sibiling to drive, which makes you liable and you know of fault. Plus don't they have to keep log of time and kph travelled. To repaire it there is Able Instruments and Max Instruments.You may lose points and cop a fine if police decide to check car.Currentley there is a lot of exschoolies going for licences in Brissie.
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
juve_fan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
no point taking leaner drivers in it if you can't record their mileage.......
One reason could be to teach them to drive. Persons driving ability to drive isn't measured by how many hour they spent behind the wheel, if you think the person is ready to get his/her P's that's when you should take them to do the test not when your odometer says they travelled certain amount of distance!

juve_fan14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
ford_chick
Starter Motor

Quote:
One reason could be to teach them to drive. Persons driving ability to drive isn't measured by how many hour they spent behind the wheel, if you think the person is ready to get his/her P's that's when you should take them to do the test not when your odometer says they travelled certain amount of distance!
The laws all changed around learners licences in June this year and now they need to prove they have driven a certain amount of hours before they can go for their test.

You will probably have to get it fixed in this case. We have an XE and XF ute and neither of these work. I think they were a bit of a dodgy design in that era.
ford_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post