Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Default Casterton Drags Abolished

Sad news for the local district drag racing down south.
The Casterton Street Drags have been cancelled and the word is that it will be abolished due to another major increase on their indemnity insurance. Even though for the past few years attendance has been getting bigger and better and times getting faster this is no where near enough to cover the sky rocketing insurance cost.
Main factor is gum trees on the right hand side, running adjacent to the strip. I'm not sure how many metres the trees are from the Sandford Flat Rd probably 15-20 metres?? I'm only aware of one minor accident involving the trees. A local young mechanic wheeled standed his maxxed 360 charger off the start line, hence lost control off the strip and smashed a back side window and a little panel damage, glanced a gum. Was not hurt, but bloody shaken.

rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is sad but the track has been on borrowed time for a fair while I reckon. What happened to the proposed new track in the paddock? Havent heard anything of it for a while
Old 20-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Heard about this at work the other day! I missed sunday last year (the wife's b'day so thats ok) and heard a guy in a cortina from coonawarra got hurt smacking the trees! and that it was the RTA that pulled the plug on it because of that??.

Apparently there's been whispers about the airstrip being bitumised!!
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Well i suppose that means the Warrnambool Drags will be that little bit bigger then..
Casterton was allways a good time.. I even took my kids there.. I hope they find some way to keep it going .
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Yeah today the CDDRA president had a meeting with ANDRA in adelaide to secure funding!

And dont forget that Portland has a strip now
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
sandford hotel
"The Publican"

Exclamation Sandford Flat Casterton Dragway April15 2007!

SUNDAY APRIL 15TH SANDFORD FLAT CASTERTON DRAGWAY
GATES OPEN 7:30 am SCRUTINEERING FROM 8:00 am TIME TRIALS 9 TO 11:00 am GATE ENTRY $15.00 COMP ENTRY: $40.00 BURN OUT ENTRY $30.00
ENQUIRIES JAMIE IRELAND: 0411 283 433
HELP GET IT BACK UP AND RUNNING BE THERE OR BE SQUARE....
sandford hotel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good bit of mining there sandford. Is this going to be on the original piece of road?
Old 19-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
sandford hotel
"The Publican"

Thumbs up

The road/track is the same the fences have been : they can run on the track 4 more times then the new track in the adjoining paddock should be ready. If you need any more info contact Jamie he's on the ball and I think if it were'nt for him the drags would be no longer! :togo:
Old 19-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
sandford hotel
"The Publican"

Enquiries Jamie Ireland: 0411 283 433
Old 19-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Not to bad ... good that it will get back up and running ..
I might go .. its been a long time since I have raced at Casterton..

Hey Sanford Hotel .. You just bought that diddnt you ??
How is your footy team comming along this year ??
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

o yay! i went to the one 2 years ago and was looking forward to the one the year after.. good to see some local drag racing without traveling to far away -for me-
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #12
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
o yay! i went to the one 2 years ago and was looking forward to the one the year after.. good to see some local drag racing without traveling to far away -for me-
Where are you from Daniel? Racing at Warrnambool, Portland, Ballarat and Coonawarra couldnt be too far away?
Old 20-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #13
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

At hamilton... yeah im only 16 but.. bit hard im mi situation to get up their but i got some mates up there. should be good.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #14
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
Sad news for the local district drag racing down south.
The Casterton Street Drags have been cancelled and the word is that it will be abolished due to another major increase on their indemnity insurance. Even though for the past few years attendance has been getting bigger and better and times getting faster this is no where near enough to cover the sky rocketing insurance cost.
Main factor is gum trees on the right hand side, running adjacent to the strip. I'm not sure how many metres the trees are from the Sandford Flat Rd probably 15-20 metres?? I'm only aware of one minor accident involving the trees. A local young mechanic wheeled standed his maxxed 360 charger off the start line, hence lost control off the strip and smashed a back side window and a little panel damage, glanced a gum. Was not hurt, but bloody shaken.
How long ago did that Charger hit a tree? because about 10-15 years ago I was at Casterton when a almost local young mechanic named Mark that I went to school with lost his 360 Charger on the shift to 2nd and went off the track hitting a giant hay bale, the only difference to your story is that he smashed the door window and caved the door in, he also wasn't shaken but infact got straight back on it, whipping it back onto the track and powering on to finish the run. just wondering is that was the same car but the story might have changed over time. I still have pictures of the car and the damage
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post